CD48127 - 1/48 H-19 Chickasaw

CD48129 will be a 1/48 sheet for USAF, US Navy, US Army and USMC  Sikorsky H-19 (HRS-1/2 and HO4S) helicopters. It will include a wide variety of schemes including several USAF rescue schemes, US Navy schemes and Korean War-era blue HRS-1's. Currently planned as a September release. 

Edited by KursadA
On 6/20/2017 at 1:24 AM, KursadA said:

CD48129 will be a 1/48 sheet for USAF, US Navy, US Army and USMC  Sikorsky H-19 (HRS-1/2 and HO4S) helicopters. It will include a wide variety of schemes including several USAF rescue schemes, US Navy schemes and Korean War-era blue HRS-1's. Currently planned as a September release. 

Well this is good news. Is this for the ancient Revell kit or do you know of a new release?

1 minute ago, skyhawk174 said:

Well this is good news. Is this for the ancient Revell kit or do you know of a new release?

This is for the very recently re-released Revell kit. There are hundreds of it in people's collections; and the new release only includes the ancient, unusable decals.

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:44 AM, sierrascale said:

Back in April I did a walkaround of the USAF Museum's H-19, including closeups of the stencils, etc. You may find it useful. Shared google photos album is here:

https://goo.gl/photos/mZYsCL98n8BVf6TXA

I'm going back to the Museum tomorrow if you need anything else.

Bob in Louisville

These are amazing pics Bob.    Thanks for sharing.   Planning on using these when I build my -19. 

There are so many good schemes to do here - so I decided to dedicate the first sheet to Navy / Marines helicopters only. I will post the draft image soon: three US Navy and three USMC options on this first sheet. A second sheet due in October/November will have US Army, USAF and a couple foreign options.

Everyone (Kursad, too) be aware of the differences between the early models with the straight tail boom (as in the old 1/48 scale Revell kit, and Revell Germany's boxing of the 1/72 Italeri kit, boxed as a Coast Guard HO4S-3G but incorrectly labeled "H-19A Chickasaw"), and the later kinked (down) tail boom as in the 1/72 Italeri H-19B Chickasaw in USAF markings. The USAF had both A and B models, with the Army having C and D models, equivalent to the USAF A and B.

And "Chickasaw" is proper for ONLY Army birds, following their tradition of nicknaming helicopters for Native American tribes.

In the Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard, they were known only by their designations; no nicknames. Looks like all of the HO4S types used by the nautical services were of the early, straight-tail boom type. So when figuring out which type you want to do, study photos of the real thing. I don't think there are any 1/48 scale conversions for the kinked-tail types to put on the old Revell kit (yet!). Lotsafun!

This is the first H-19 sheet, scheduled for September. I understand the point that the Chickasaw name only applies to Army helicopters, but I don't think I am going to name the sheet a "HRS/ HO4S" when many people will just use search engines to search for H-19 or Chickasaw. The sheet's name may not be so accurate - but the decals themselves are ;-)

No time to draw profiles until September, so you will need to search for the BuNo's online or use your imagination until then. Two Korean War-era blue HRS-1's, orange and blue Navy examples - total of six options; with correct stencilling thanks to extensive documentation provided by Wayne. 

A 1/72 version is not coming anytime soon - I have a lot of 1/72 subjects in the pipeline, and do not plan to do this in 1/72 until I finish and release them. Perhaps late next year...

cd48127.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Great, Kursad! Just wanted to make sure that folks understood that there were several differences between the nautical ones, perfectly applicable to the old 1/48 Revell kit, and most of the USAF ones. In fact, I wonder if Revell knew about them as they reissued the old gem. Hmm.

16 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Everyone (Kursad, too) be aware of the differences between the early models with the straight tail boom (as in the old 1/48 scale Revell kit, and Revell Germany's boxing of the 1/72 Italeri kit, boxed as a Coast Guard HO4S-3G but incorrectly labeled "H-19A Chickasaw"), and the later kinked (down) tail boom as in the 1/72 Italeri H-19B Chickasaw in USAF markings. The USAF had both A and B models, with the Army having C and D models, equivalent to the USAF A and B.

I believe the proper term is "drooped tail".  I remember being at the USAF Museum and they have a B painted like Hopalong, which was actually an A model. 

My father pointed out the drooped tail and the reinforcing bracing that goes the length of the tail. 

8 hours ago, JEFlint said:

I believe the proper term is "drooped tail".  I remember being at the USAF Museum and they have a B painted like Hopalong, which was actually an A model. 

My father pointed out the drooped tail and the reinforcing bracing that goes the length of the tail. 

See? Even the museums will mix them up!

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2017 at 9:55 AM, sierrascale said:

Kursad, 

Since the reissued H-19 kit has floats (I have a Revell of UK issue of one from the sixties) perhaps you could include this colorful, float-equipped H-19 from Thule.

Bob in Louisville

51_3856_Thule.jpg

Well this will definitely fit in with the Revell H-19 kit with the straight tail boom.   Would love to see this one on the USAF sheet.  As well as that of Hop-A-Long for a wheeled version.

• 4 weeks later...