Which kit is easier? 1/48 ZM or Academy F-4J?

11 hours ago, swimmer25k said:

Ignore accuracy and/or detail. 

Just to avoid the Academy intake challenge, I'd go with ZM ... and you'll get the better accuracy and/or detail as well! :cheers:

Gene K

7 hours ago, Gene K said:

Just to avoid the Academy intake challenge, I'd go with ZM ... and you'll get the better accuracy and/or detail as well! :cheers:

Gene K

I have the DMold/Rhino/XMM (forget which one) intakes, so it really isn't an issue.  My Academy N is almost ready to paint and the resin intakes weren't a hassle at all.  Would this change your opinion?

14 hours ago, Gene K said:

Gene K

May I know what is the problem with the intakes?  I might be able to pass on the info to a friend who has a couple of these in his stash.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

ZM out of box.

Got plenty of both including the new S from ZM and im going to struggle to find a reason to build my Academy J's.

B's are a different with ZM looking like they wont do one.

Detail in the ZM kit alone is beautiful.

If price isnt an issue the ZM kit goes together beautifully and has considerably more detail.

The ZM has instrument panel decals. Therefore much easier.

all kidding aside, looking at the ZM kit, it also provides a one piece canopy, and looking at the directions, the landing gear legs are added last. The academy kit has you put the main legs in when you assemble the wing, and the nose gear hook is installed early in the assembly sequence, and it has been mentioned by several people that it is easy to break. In my opinion those features make the ZM look easier.

I have only started an academy -B and looked at my ZM in the box.  I really want to build both but there are too many kits in progress on my work bench.

Any particular plane / unit you want to build?

To expand on the comment from Habu2 ... the easiest of all might even be the ESCI kit ... even lower parts count and scribed panel lines. the only problem is zero cockpit detail, and shallow intakes/exhaust.

Edited by Kurt H.
4 hours ago, Gene K said:

Where did you get the S? I preordered from Volks US and haven't heard a thing.

Gene K

I ordered my S direct from Japan with EMS shipping and it arrived this past Monday in California. I don't believe that Volks US will get theirs until July 26th with an IPMS Nationals corelease based on my read of their online flyer. 

First, the "F-4S" type:
●Released on June 10th (Sat) at 7,500 JPY (without tax)!!
*Japan Standard Time
Then,
●Simultaneously released on July 26th (Wed) – 29th (Sat) 

 for US Friend Shops and IPMS Omaha!!

http://www.zoukeimura.co.jp/en/sentiment/oyajiblog_093.html

ZM phantom is awesome!  Can't go wrong building one, or two, or...

16 hours ago, Cliff C said:

I ordered my S direct from Japan with EMS shipping ... .

Thanks. I asked Volks USA to cancel my order so, like you, I can get my S from Japan.  What does "(with fee)" mean, and how is  this fee (tax) avoided? 

When I first read the Old Man's about the JULY 26th US release, my anxious mind read  JUNE 26 ... . .:stooges:

Gene K

P.S. The Diorama Base ordering page has this note: "Will Be Restocked"

Edited by Gene K
22 hours ago, Gene K said:

Where did you get the S? I preordered from Volks US and haven't heard a thing.

Gene K

Hi Gene

Picked one up from Volks Tokyo on Tuesday.

Its out on Hlj as well.

Imagine it will be out via your USA store soon.

some cool new parts not just the S wing..ill leave the rest as a surprise.

Gene, my total charges are below.  It's definitely more expensive going direct to Tokyo but, in this case, you get the product much sooner.

Sub Total       : 8,100 yen
Shipping Charge       : 2,900 yen
Commission       : 414 yen
EMS Insurance       : 0 yen
Total Amount       : 11,414 yen

3 hours ago, Cliff C said:

It's definitely more expensive going direct to Tokyo but, in this case, you get the product much sooner.

Thanks. The "sooner" part is worth the extra $7! But Volks Tokyo charges a tax of some sort AND a "Commission"?????? They must be learning from the airline industry.

dehowie - HLJ shows it backordered -- 4-6 weeks. You should have picked up a crate of them on your trip (to sell to some of us EarlyNeeders).

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

woohoo mine arrived and i can't wait to see what the bonus part is..

ordered both the J and S through Volks Japan and had them shipped EMS.. my experience is that it usually arrives within 5 days.

also looking forward to them doing an F-4E if that's ever gonna happen.

On 6/23/2017 at 8:17 PM, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

Who makes corrected intakes for the Academy 1/48 F-4J? I looked around and didn't find anything.

For the air conditioning intakes, Hypersonic Models. For the engine intakes, DMold, for starters.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Neither DMold nor XMM have J intakes for the Academy kit. DMold has B/C parts and XMM has B parts.

XMM says their B parts fit the J kit. I lack the knowledge to understand if this is a shortcoming of the Academy kit, but they do have J intakes for Hasegawa