Monogram 1/48 F-86 Sabre Jet

Hey ARC,

Here's Monogram's venerable white boxing of their F-86 that I built for the Classic Kits GB.  

DSC09969_zpsdn5yffix.jpg

I built the kit to represent the F-86 flown by Burgess Meredith's character in the movie The Last Chase.  I've never seen a Sabre built up in these markings, so I thought it'd be a nice change from the usual NMF Sabres.  It was tough finding info about the airframe, but I was able to find this:

"The aircraft was indeed loaned from Flight Systems - it was a Canadair Sabre 6, c/n 1600, built for the Luftwaffe. It first flew on 17Jun57, and served first with WaffenSchule 10 at Oldenburg, then as a civilian target tug as D9538 with Condor Flugdienst at Westerland on Sylt Island. After its flying career was finished it moved to technical school TSLw 3 at Fassberg. It was one of a number bought by Ormond Haydon Baillie in 1978, and after dismantling was stored briefly at Wroughton, UK. Haydon-Baillie was killed in a P-51 crash that year and the whole lot were sold to Flight Systems Inc., of Mojave CA. C/n 1600 was registered to them as N1039C in Apr79, and its appearance in film 'The Last Chase' came around November that year. 

The aircraft was re-registered N82FS in Oct81, and served FSI as a target tug for a while. It was then registered to Gerald A Smith & Connie L Smith/Smith & Sons Aircraft, Paso Robles, CA and was re-registered again, this time as N186JC in Jun93, and painted in Skyblazers c/s as '31186'. It was then sold to Steve Snyder, Lumberton NJ, who flew it at many airshows. Sadly Snyder was killed in the aircraft on 19 June 1999 at South Jersey Regional Airport during a low-level pass."  (Source)  

Finding pictures that weren't screen shots was difficult, but I was able to find one profile photo of the real thing.  Anyway, let's take a look at some pictures of my build.

DSC01693_zpsag7hxfhr.jpg

DSC01696_zpshbs0vunl.jpg

DSC01697_zpsjx4quhpr.jpg

DSC01698_zpst9jznoij.jpg

DSC01699_zpsplhuyazy.jpg

DSC01700_zps0lwvywto.jpg

DSC01702_zpsm2hujxto.jpg

Anyway, feel free to share your comments.  Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

-O

Re;  'The Last Chase' ; The ground 'in the hangar' scenes were shot in Toronto using the only Canadair Sabre Mk3.  (fun fact)

I just happened to watch the movie a couple weeks ago via YouTube.

Nice model, by the way  :)

Cheers, Tony

Bravo! Very cool markings!

I'm used to movie posters depicting scenes not in a movie, maybe not even on the cutting room floor. But this one seems to be about a different movie with the same high concept...

The_Last_chase_poster.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey JP77,

This was a fun build. I remember seeing this movie when I was a kid and loved the Sabre's markings. For mine, everything on it is paint. I freehanded the dragon onto some paper then transferred it to some tape to make my own mask. If you look at pictures of the plane or stills from the movie, you can see that the dragon on the real plane is more detailed. I didn't have very good references to use, nor am I a very good artist, so I shot for "close enough." Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks for bringing back this moldy-oldie. I'm glad you enjoyed my build. Thanks for the pat on the back!

Cheers,

-O