Airfix 1/72 E-8C JSTARS 93-0597 Conversion

I started this for the Recce Birds, Part Deux GB back in July last year

Build thread here .

After seeing @Nanook's thread on his Revell build I dusted mine off to continue with it.

So I will continue the build here (until I lose interest again :rolleyes: )

Hmmm.... 8 months on the side table of doom, not bad!

As in my usual manner, I see @Nanook building the same type as me (different scale in this case) I decided to drag mine off the side table of doom (no room on the shelves at the moment) and see where it is at.

As I recalled I had to confirm some nose antenna placements and stopped there.

Out came the kit and the Pe and I decided to finish installed the antennas. I pretty much sorted out the positions of the antennas and fitted them. Then I realised why I had stopped, the PE antennas in the conversion set are too big, they almost look 1/48 rather than 1/72. I could live with it along the fuselage but they looked far too out of place below the radome.

34877696483_0c93329ce1_b.jpg

So there placement under the nose was short lived and I replaced them with smaller plastic replacements. They need some cleanup and final shaping after the glue sets.

35299567830_16040a4bfd_b.jpg

This meant I could use the oversized ones elsewhere. The conversion set is lacking a few extra antennas that have been fitted since it was released.

34877695523_e73c54b778_b.jpg

I also added some more plastic replacement on the lower rear fuselage since I found it easier to make replacements out of strip and fit them.

35517897442_4bf4f433e3_b.jpg

I also carved ou the lower surround of the front port door and added a PE part, hinges and door handle have to be installed as well to this and rear port door in due course.

35517897142_cc10432446_b.jpg

Looks like the area needs a tidy up as well. More soon.

Edited by Trojan Thunder

Wow, glad I could inspire you to dust this one off as it's an impressive build! Nice attention to detail and I agree that the PE antennas under the nose looked far too large. I'm on the fence about replicating the small antennas on my build as it is such a smaller scale. 

I assume the PE is from Eduard? What markings are you using? I am using the ones from the Minicraft kit for the JSTARS that was in Desert Storm.

Later,

Lee

Thanks for helping me get this back on the road. The conversion set is from Flightpath and includes the resin antenna fairing, some white metal scoops (which I replaced) and trailing Edge HF antennas.

The decals I am using are from WolfPak sheet 72-077 for aircraft 93-0597 which in a previous life was a QANTAS B707-338C VH-EBU.

The aircraft was scrapped in after a 2009 a mid-air refuelling incident over the middle east where a contractor maintenance error caused the fuel tanks to rupture. The aircraft landed safely but was deemed uneconomical to repair and was eventually disassembled.

1 hour ago, pminer said:

Pics wouldn't show. Could you check and/or repost? Thanks.

Not his fault. Issue with Photobucket change of rules so no 3rd party hosting unless you pay lots.

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress has been made. I was not happy with the rear intake so I have been reshaping it; putty, file, sand, repeat....
35211770603_91fe71ac2a_z.jpg

The engines were given some more work and I started to attach them to the wing, in boards first
35182878384_0e44523fc8_z.jpg

The out boards were bugging me, the rear edge had been damaged on both so I attempted to repair them with some card and super glue. After a few applications, I was still not happy with them so I robbed another kit of the rear nacelle sections and replaced them.
35888814261_10b7ec85df_z.jpg

Once the putty has been tidied up and the pylons rescribed they can go on the wing.

looks great Ray - certainly coming along.

I have no idea where you put all these massive planes once you've built them though - you must have a dedicated room for them?

I have a KC-135 that I'd like to build as well but I have no where to display it. I shall enjoy watching you build this one instead :)

Thanks, Si. I do have dedicated man cave but space for larger models is limited (something I will have to sort out soon).It looks like I will have to relegate some models to the garage for storage when the time comes...

I have almost finished all the mods I am making, One more item to scratch build before a final putty and rescribe.

I have added a few ports to the rear fuselage (Under the rear door), they have warning markings around them so I think they are some sort of exhaust ports?

Image from Prime Portal

e-8c_97-0100_15_of_31.jpg

35960019642_bd35e0ff63_b.jpg

The final engine is installed

35288325414_5be6c46b57_b.jpg

• 8 months later...

Some...

I have a thread in the Shelf Queens GB for it. Been tinkering with it a little.

Must get it finished since I am starting an E-3D for an RAF 100 GB on another forum.

Edited by Trojan Thunder