Cancel Request: 366th FBG F-51D markings in 1953 at Alexandria AFB

I am trying to build a history of the 366th FG-FBG-FBW-TFW-FW from WWII to today.  I have seventeen 1/48 fighter kits, four 1/72 tanker & bomber kits and decals for most types. The one type I am missing any information or photos of is the F-51D while at Alexandria AFB, LA from Jan - late 1953, before the FBG converted to F-86Fs. 

From the Fogotten Aircraft website I have the following five serial numbers:

P-51D-25-NA s/n 44-73026

*1953: USAF 390th FBS (366th FBG).

P-51D-25-NA s/n 44-73288

*1950: Iowa ANG 124th FS.

*1953: USAF 391st FBS (366th FBG).

*5/28/1953: Written off at Alexandria AFB, LA.

P-51D-30-NA s/n 44-74470

*1950: North Carolina ANG 156th FS.

*4/3/1953: Crashed near Columbus, GA due to engine failure.

P-51D-30-NA s/n 44-74557

*1948: USAF 307th FS (31st FG).

*5/28/1953: Written off at Alexandria AFB, LA.

P-51D-30-NT s/n 45-11730

*1953: USAF 390th FBS (366th FBG).

This is the last aircraft type I need info for to complete my 366th Fighter Wing history build. Over the past six months, I have sent numerous emails to both of the USAF Historical archives (Wright-Patt & Maxwell) and the 366th FW at Mountain Home and received nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

R/ Dutch

Edited by Dutch
Cancel request.
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is the reply I received today from a docent at Air Force Historical Research Agency :

QUOTE:

Subject: RE: Air Force Historical Research Agency Contact Form: 366th Fighter Bomber Group F-51D Mustangs - 1953

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx

Thank you for your request.  I was unable to locate photographs in our collection showing the F-51s assigned to the 366th Fighter Bomber Group at Alexandria AFB LA in 1953.  Our records do state that the aircraft were transferred from the 132nd Fighter-Bomber Group, Louisiana (ed. Iowa) Air National Guard, so it may be possible that the aircraft may have retain the basic markings and colors of this unit.

I would suggest placing a query on any of the many social media sites dedicated to the P-51 and USAF markings in general.  You may also wish to contact the Still Media Center at the National Archives, College Park MD.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely
XXXXXXXX
AFHRA/RSR
600 Chennault Circle
Maxwell AFB AL 36112-6424
UNQUOTE
So I will start digging at the National Archives.  In the meantime, if anyone here has an older relative who may have worked on / flown F-51D Mustangs with the 366th FBW at Alexandria AFB durign 1953. I would appreciate your asking them from any information of phots on my behalf.
R/
Dutch
Edited by Dutch
add correction
  • 2 weeks later...

Great news!  AFHRA actually was able to locate an old accident report on microfiche which included a couple of b&w negative type prints of two F-51D Mustangs which collided on the ground.  While one aircraft is unremarkable (only showing the tip of vert/horiz tail in some light color (can't see the wing tips), the other photo shows the other aircraft with diagonal light colored stripes on the rear fuselage (photo angle precludes seeing the vert/horiz tail surfaces). Yippee!  While waiting for better photos,  I have something from which to build a model now, even if slightly less than notional. Would still love to see a color full aircraft photo so I can verify.

Edited by Dutch
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, Dutch said:

Here is the reply I received today from a docent at Air Force Historical Research Agency :

QUOTE:

Subject: RE: Air Force Historical Research Agency Contact Form: 366th Fighter Bomber Group F-51D Mustangs - 1953

Dear Mr. xxxxxxx

Thank you for your request.  I was unable to locate photographs in our collection showing the F-51s assigned to the 366th Fighter Bomber Group at Alexandria AFB LA in 1953.  Our records do state that the aircraft were transferred from the 132nd Fighter-Bomber Group, Louisiana (ed. Iowa) Air National Guard, so it may be possible that the aircraft may have retain the basic markings and colors of this unit.

I would suggest placing a query on any of the many social media sites dedicated to the P-51 and USAF markings in general.  You may also wish to contact the Still Media Center at the National Archives, College Park MD.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely
XXXXXXXX
AFHRA/RSR
600 Chennault Circle
Maxwell AFB AL 36112-6424
UNQUOTE
So I will start digging at the National Archives.  In the meantime, if anyone here has an older relative who may have worked on / flown F-51D Mustangs with the 366th FBW at Alexandria AFB durign 1953. I would appreciate your asking them from any information of phots on my behalf.
R/
Dutch

Hey Dutch, some information about the aircraft when assigned to the 132nd FBS at Alexandria AFB through 1952. 

The 132nd FBG, consisting of the 124th FBS, 174th FBS Iowa ANG & 173rd FBS Nebraska ANG, were in the midst of converting into F-80s when the aircraft were pulled to send them to Korea. The units were re-converted back into Mustangs, but were also called into Federal service. They were sent first to Dow AFB, Maine to train replacement Mustang pilots in ground supports operations. there were then transferred to Alexandria AFB, Louisiana in May 1952, replacing the 137th FBW, Oklahoma ANG. They continued in the tactical fighter training role until they were de-Federalized in January 1953. During the 132nd's time at Alexandria, it appears that the aircraft came from the 137th FBW, and from what I was able to find out, the 132nd didn't really attempt to remark or repaint the aircraft, they kept the paint schemes from the previous units. Being that the aircraft were technically still USAF aircraft, there was no attempt to alter the markings. Right after the 132nd FBG were released from Federal service, they returned to their home states and began converting back into jet aircraft.

John, 

Yes, thanks for the 132nd FBG Iowa and Nebraska ANG history. I had just read that as part of my research and the gentleman from AFHRA confirmed it. However, as part of my reading it appears that many of the Mustangs were transferred from Maine to  Louisiana.  So I wonder if perhaps the Mustangs might have any combination of Iowa, Ohio & Nebraska ANG markings?  I am now starting a search for these markings. You wouldn't happen to have any photos, would you?

Merry Christmas!

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
Correct spelling.
4 hours ago, Dutch said:

John, 

Yes, thanks for the 132nd FBG Iowa and Nebraska ANG history. I had just read that as part of my research and the gentleman from afhra confirmed it. However, as part of my reading it appears that many of the Mustangs  we're transferred from Maine to  Louisiana.  So I wonder if perhaps the Mustangs might have any combination of Iowa, Ohio & Nebraska ANG markings?  I am now starting a search for these markings. You wouldn't happen to have any photos, would you?

Merry Christmas!

Dutch

Hey Dutch,

In speaking with one of the curators of the Nebraska National Guard Museum, we touched briefly on the federalization time for the 173rd when they were assigned to Dow AFB, then Alexandria AFB. According to him,  because the unit was using USAF Mustangs, and that they were to re-convert over to the F-80 once more became available, the unit did not alter the markings on the Mustangs assigned to them. Apparently, they didn't carry ANG markings, nor unit markings while in use. More than likely, the Mustangs carried standard USAF markings, including the "buzz" numbers painted on the forward fuselage. They may have carried markings from their previous owners as well, but nothing was added by the ANG units, as far as he knows. I would assume that would be the case for all of the 132nd FBG units.

I do have some pictures of Mustangs from the 173rd during the two periods of operation out in Lincoln, NE. I do also have a picture of a T-6 that was operated from Dow by the 173rd. It's in standard Natural Metal Finish, with national insignia on the rear fuselage, s/n on the tail, but no other markings are noted.

Edited by Johnopfor
  • 3 years later...
  • Dutch changed the title to Cancel Request: 366th FBG F-51D markings in 1953 at Alexandria AFB