Thunderbird rollover in Dayton

Bad week for F-16s.  I am surprised at how well the airframes have held up in these accidents.  Particularly the canopy in this case. That must have quite a scary view from the cockpit. I've never considered how one gets out of the plane if it is resting on the canopy. 

3 hours ago, Steve N said:

...and the news reports insist on calling it a "crash." :rolleyes:

I don't know what news papers require to classify something a "crash" (probably just about anything that was abnormal), but technically this event would be considered by the FAA or NTSB as an "accident" (vs an incident). 49 CFR 830.2 classifies an accident as "an occurance associated with the operation of an aircraft which takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and the time all such persons have disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage." From the pictures, it seems there is definitely structural damage (for example, the tail), which would in turn automatically classify this as an "accident".

I see the Thunderbirds call it a "mishap";)

Many news sources are now referring to the incident as a mishap or accident, or simply indicate that the aircraft "flipped."

Thread drift: Something to keep in mind.... If the media is mischaracterizing this incident (as an "accident"), you have to wonder how accurate their other, non-aviation, reporting is. Do the words they choose to use to describe other events misrepresent what actually happened? This is why we should all consume the news with a critical eye regardless of the source.

5 minutes ago, thegoodsgt said:

Many news sources are now referring to the incident as a mishap or accident, or simply indicate that the aircraft "flipped."

Thread drift: Something to keep in mind.... If the media is mischaracterizing this incident (as an "accident"), you have to wonder how accurate their other, non-aviation, reporting is. Do the words they choose to use to describe other events misrepresent what actually happened? This is why we should all consume the news with a critical eye regardless of the source.

Unless you are writing something to a specialized audience, all of the descriptions above seem to be accurate and appropriate.  I wouldn't expect those terms in the AF's official report but in the general press, what is the issue?  

If a car flips on the highway, maybe the press should refer to it as an "motor vehicle incident"?  

The purpose of "news" has changed in the last decade, from one of informing the public to one of generating revenue for the media outlet.  More droids will click on a "crash" headline rather than one about an "incident".  The more sensational the headline the more likely you will click on it, and your screen will be refreshed with a plethora of new ad banners and pop-up ads.  It's all about the clicks.

As a wise man once said, "follow the money".