I'm getting opinions from as many sources as possible regarding buying a new car.  My finalists are a 2017 Chevy SS, 2017 Dodge Charger SRT 392, or a BMW M3, 4, or 5 under $50K.  

Any suggestions or insight?

Thanks,

Chris

Wow you can get an M3 for under $50000! You guys don't know how good you have it over there. The SS is actually made in my hometown and the people who I know that own and have driven it love it. Also finding parts and servicing it would be a hell of a lot cheaper than a Beamer. Its a pity though since GM is closing the factory down and ceasing production of these cars all together. RIP automotive production in Australia.

I've also heard that BMWs can be expensive to maintain, and owners have said to never own one out of warranty because anything that has an issue is expensive to repair.  

The Chrysler products are generally at the bottom of any reliability list I've seen from consumer groups, etc., so given that, the Chevy SS is all that's left.  People had good things to say about the Pontiac G8, and as I understand it the SS is basically the Chevy version of that after Pontiac was shut down, so I think that would be my choice.

Well first let me say this.  I'm BIASED BIG TIME... BIG LEAGUE! :yahoo: MOPAR OR NO CAR!

I would myself buy the Charger SRT392 I think  Dodge got it right in terms of styling and balance of  performance  and  driving.  Yes, Chargers are a bit flabby  but IMO   would make great daily drivers   and be kick butt great   long haul, cross country, GT type cars.

Edited by Gordon Shumway
2 minutes ago, Gordon Shumway said:

Well first let me say this.  I'm BIASED BIG TIME... BIG LEAGUE! :yahoo: MOPAR OR NO CAR!

I would myself buy the Charger SRT392 I think  Dodge got it right in terms of styling and balance of  performance  and  driving.  Yes, Chargers are a bit flabby  but IMO   would make great daily drivers   and be kick butt great   long haul, cross country, GT type cars.

Same here!  The new Chargers look great, and perform just as well.  I have a Durango - if I didn't want something I could take on some rough "roads" when out with the camera, I probably would have gotten a Charger.  And as to quality, I don't see where Chrysler products are any worse than anyone else - in 3+ years, and 93K miles, the only time my Durango needed anything other than scheduled maintenance was when I hit a deer.

Some more info about me:

I have a company car that I use during the week.  I had a 2006 GTO that I sold a week ago.  I bought it used in 2010 and it was time to go. I have a 2006 Mustang with a ton of Roush and Ford Racing parts. Parts highlights are: supercharged, long tube headers, small blower pulley, cold-air and cat-back exhaust.  Brembo brakes all the way around, Eibach suspension, short-throw shifter, anti-sway bar, and Roush 18"X9" wheels shoed with Eagle GT tires.  It's got only 25,000 miles and I'll take it out on nice days.   For styling I have a CDC chin spoiler, Roush rear spoiler, Roush grille, and two 9.5" white stripes from tip to toe above red.  It has 485 RWHP.  It has a permanent spot in the garage regardless of what I get. 

I had a 1998 M3, which I replaced with the Mustang.  It was an awesome car, but super-expensive to fix. 

The Charger looks and sounds great, but as already pointed out; it's a Dodge.  

The styling on the SS is a bit lame, but the engine and performance are sweet.  I'm a little worried that with the Malibu going away parts will become pricey.  I just went through all of this with the GTO.  $1500 for a broken driver-side window.  Ouch. 

Nice Beamers come up on occasion.  I'm not in a great hurry, so I'm cool with that.  

I'd like to have a four-door because of that consideration called "wife and kids" (aka "bad roommates").  My wife can't (read as "won't") drive a stick.  My choices have an automatic transmission available, so not an issue.   

Back to my horror show; the Academy F-4N.  

Thanks for for all the awesome replies so far.  Isn't this better than arguing about how the rear of the ZM Phantom is messed up or the color of the area behind the pilot on a P-47 Razorback?

Chris

3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Same here!  The new Chargers look great, and perform just as well.  I have a Durango - if I didn't want something I could take on some rough "roads" when out with the camera, I probably would have gotten a Charger.  And as to quality, I don't see where Chrysler products are any worse than anyone else - in 3+ years, and 93K miles, the only time my Durango needed anything other than scheduled maintenance was when I hit a deer.

People have favs and some will slam brands they may not like even without  credible evidence... Of course one will always find an anecdote about this car, that car, this brand that brand  of car   being trouble, but in reality modern cars I'd say even going back to the 80's are all pretty good and only give users  trouble if abused or ignored of proper maintenance.

I've had various Mopar products going back to the mid 80's, none have ever given me any real issues, all required maintenance and replacement of parts and things. I've just through the years grew a warm feeling for Chryco cars. My first  USED car was a 1965 Plymouth Valiant, a 17th birthday gift from my parents  back in the day. I found and find   FCA brand cars and their  styling and features mix over the years  have suited my tastes  and I like  how they have always  been sort of  the under dog of the big three too, even though the  FCA group is something like the number 5 largest car maker world wide.

All car brands are different today than 20-30-40-50 years ago, most are really global brands now but I still like most anything from Chryco. I  think they still have the best stylists in general. More and more modern cars look more and more the same,  FCA brand cars  still look more unique. Vipers have always been and will even though 2017 was the last model year my favourite car of all brands world wide. But  today I'll take me a Charger and a Challenger please.

Edited by Gordon Shumway

Speaking of Chargers, going way back in the day, the classic B bodies from late 60's onward. I was not always a big fan of the B bodies, but as  I aged I have really  fallen for the look of  all the B bodies with the classic Chargers as my top dog. My favorite movie Charger is the light green Charger with the 440   that Peter Fonda drove in the  Movie Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry.  I love  that old movie.

Vic Morrow's character as Sherrif was great too. "Clown to Charger, Clown to Charger, you look like some Roundy Rounder...":rofl:

On 6/23/2017 at 5:17 PM, Ken Cartwright said:

I've also heard that BMWs can be expensive to maintain, and owners have said to never own one out of warranty because anything that has an issue is expensive to repair.  

The Chrysler products are generally at the bottom of any reliability list I've seen from consumer groups, etc., so given that, the Chevy SS is all that's left.  People had good thingso to say about the Pontiac G8, and as I understand it the SS is basically the Chevy version of that after Pontiacthan all you mentioned, was shut down, so I think that would be my choice.

Let me put this way. You drive one, and the headlight goes south. Your looking at $518 for the light in the box, plus another six to eight hundred to change it. It's recommended to change both for about sixteen to eighteen hundred dollars. But if you gotta have that kinda car, look at the Alpha Romero. Faster, rides better, stops better, and looks better than the BMW. 

My choice is a gently used Cadillac CTS-V. Look for a GM certified one with the 100k warranty. Nothing but  Corvette with rear seats.

Gary

Edited by ChesshireCat