F-4C Pylons w/o Sidewinder rails??

OK, I'm building the Academy F-4C and will depict Col Olds' aircraft as it looked for the mission to bomb the steel mills at Thai Nguyen on 30 March '67.

I have a question on the pylons that had the TERs mounted. Would they have had these rear assemblies in place, when not carrying the AIM-9 rails? Or were these items part of the basic pylon and in place at all times?

10240628z5_zpsjnmyln5x.jpg

Paintings depict the pylons without them, but sometimes paintings will have minor technical inaccuracies...

xb70100_zpshqa0fvhd.jpg

Robert%20Taylor%20Phantom%20Strike_zpsg6

Thanks for any info y'all might have.

Edited by 82Whitey51

No, those are chaff and flare dispensers that were added to the F-4 well after Vietnam.

Speaking of paintings, in the lower one you can see the wing tank on the a/c is gone but the pylon is still there, in actually the pylon and tank would go together if punched off. There is a separate stores pylon, as per the one with the ECM pod for weapons and such.

Jari

Edited by Finn
2 minutes ago, Finn said:

No, those are chaff and flare dispensers that were added to the F-4 well after Vietnam.

Jari

Cool! OK, thanks. I figured that's what they were but not sure if they had them then or what.

Just an interesting tidbit.  I have heard that before the introduction of a dedicated chaff dispensing system they put foil strips in the airbrake wells and activated the airbrakes to release the chaff.  

Geoff M