I think I'm going to try out decanting spray paint for the first time. Now, I know you have to let it sit for at least a couple of hours and not touch it so it can degas.

But, what I am wondering is does it matter if you use a plastic jar or does it need to be glass? I also ordered a bunch of bendy straws on ebay. Just hope they are the right size as I am going to try this on a tamiya spray can that's half empty. Is there a particular size that you have found to work best? Thanks for reading and any suggestions or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!

Here is how I do it. Get a drinking straw and cut a piece about 2” long. Bigger straws work better. Then cut 4 slits at one end about 3/8” long. This results in four tabs. Bend two opposite tabs back and slide the two unbent tabs along the sides of the aerosol head, run a piece of masking tape from one tab around the spray head to the other tab. Then run a narrow piece of tape under the straw and secure to the head and finally one more piece over the straw. This helps to avoid any leaks. I decant into film canisters by sticking the straw into the canister and loosely holding the cap in place.

Leave the cap on loosely as the paint has to de-gas. Wait until it is no longer cold to recap it.

HTH

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary

Most Straws fit Tamiya Rattle cans well. I add a Blue Tac Seal around the end that connects to the nozzle. This is the easiest and most convenient way to avoid leaks. Spraying into a plastic jar should be no issue but a test first would be advised. Use some Acetone or Lacquer in the container and see what happens... I bought some small containers at the dollar store. Kinda like those rubbermaid food storage containers but much smaller and only hold about 3-4oz. they measure about 1x21/2 and maybe 1in high. They are made from cheap plastic but solvents don't affect them..

Make sure you decant in a well ventilated area or outside. Rattle can vapor as you know is very strong...Let is sit for several hours to a full day before you use it to let all the gases evaporate. The way I like to do it is to set the cap on top with a slight opening for the vapor to escape. Works every time. I also like to add Tamiya Lacquer thinner before I airbrush it onto the model. The Stuff goes on like glass and the only drawback is the color range is not extensive enough...HTH

Edited by viper730

Thank you all for the replies. Quick question. When the bubbles stop, is the decanted paint fully degassed? Or do I still need to wait a couple more hours just to be on the safe side? Thanks!