Aftermarket 1/144 Dowty Six-Blade C-130 Props - Closed

So I have a project requiring four 1/144 scale Dowty six-blade C-130 propellers, but I can't seem to find any other source other than to rob a Minicraft C-130J kit.  I have checked several of my favorite model shops and some of my not so favorite ones.  Results: nada, zip, zilch! 

Edited by Dutch
close topic

My goal is to create a Lockheed P-7 LRAACA (5 blade) or Orion 2000 / Valkyrie (6 blade) in 1/144 scale using a LS / ARII P-3C Orion as the base.  My option critera includes: ease of effort, versus price, versus time involved. 

Option #1: OzMods offers a set of two eight blade props in 1/144 for the E-2D / C-2A, so I would have to purchase two sets to make four props.  While not ideal, they could be modified to either five or six blade props fairly easily, but the prop hub just doesn't look right.

Option #2: If I purchase a Minicraft C-130J-30 Hercules kit with the intent of creating a KC-130T-30, I could swap my current set of Orion props (modified to sqaure tips) for the J props. The kit comes with the Allison T-56A-15 engines, so no problem there.

Option #3: Cast copies of Minicraft C-130J props, as you suggest.  I would have to modify the kit props to "in-flight" angle before casting.  While casting is not a difficult process, it can be tedious and more costly.  

I am still undecided at this point.  As the project is still several months off, I will wait and see when I get closer to starting.

Edited by Dutch
spelling

@Dutch

Shapeways has some eight-bladed propellers available in 1:144th scale that you might want to check out. 

Link: Klekotech model aircraft accessories >>> 144-H0120 NP2000 Propellers for E-2C hawkeye 1:144 

The model contains parts for four propellers.  One set mated to spinners and a second set of individual propeller blades and an empty spinner to allow you to assemble the propellers in a feathered position. 

@Jeff,  Thank you for the link.  Can't seem to make the link work at the moment, but I will keep trying.  I will have to do the math: 5 blade = 72 deg separation; 6 blade = 60 deg separation; & 8 blade = 45 deg separation.  I will have to make my own jig.

@ C2j,  Hmm, I now have option #4.  Thank you! 

@Jeff,  The link finally worked!  Hmm, the Klekotech props do look way better than the OzMods props.  Plus, there are four per set.  The hub is still too bulbuous for an Orion 2000 me thinks. R/ Dutch

@Dutch

Option #4, eh?  :)

Glad you were able to access the link.  I know sometimes sharing a link can be a crap shoot if the wrong html is copied and pasted in but I used the link that was provided on that page that was intended to simplify sharing the information. 

Yeah, they do look odd but keep in mind that is a computer rendered image so the actual printed model will look a little different in your hand.  The best option is to contact that maker and ask them to share images of the actual model assembled or fresh out of the printer to get an idea of what you are expecting to get. 

I do like the fact that he includes enough propeller parts for a four engine subject where you could have two feathered and turn turning if you wanted to add something different to your project. 

I discovered that I have a LS P-3C kit that is missing it's kit props and has a set of Aeroclub 1/144 C-130 props included. Soooo, I will just swap these metal props for the six-blade priops in a Minicraft 1/144 C-130J kit and voila, problem solved!  Option 3b.

I discovered that I have a set of Aeroclub 1/144 C-130 props that I was going to modify to use on one of my P-3s.  Instead I will just swap props between the affected LS P-3C kit and the Minicraft C-130J kit. Option 3b.  Problem solved!

Edited by Dutch
add content.