hi everybody.

i am building the vf 176 buzz 409 lt. patton's skyraider bird.

the kit is an hasegawa 1/72 combo of which i have already built a korean war able dog.

patton's mount is not included in the options, and i have aftermarket decals for it.

the instructions call for a silver/aluminum stripe on the wing's leading edge, but as for that it is indicated the removal of the outer 20 mm. gun for the  period, albeit it is evident in every picture that patton had the original four 20 mike mikes.

though, from the patton's pics i can't tell wether the "silver" stripe on the leading edge is present or not.

may anyone advise?

thanks, and have a great building!

ciao. bobo.

Hi Bobo,

If you asked this question elsewhere, I cannot find it, so I will answer it here.  The answer is yes, it should be there.  It is Corogard and was commonly applied to the leading edges of all flying surfaces in the gull grey over white era (with some exceptions).  It is difficult to see in photos because it often appears to be light gull grey carried over to the underside of the leading edge, and the upper side of the leading edge is usually not visible on parked  A-1's. Here is a small shot of a 176 Spad (not 409, unfortunately) thatclearly shows it on the wings and vertical stab, and probably on the horizontals as well, though it is difficult to say for sure.  Hope it helos, and I look forward to seeing your model.

Cheers,

Tom

j142028ak402-L2ifup_usn(momentinhistory).jpg

dear tom.

thank you for the clear and definitive answer to my doubts.

actually i had posted this question in the jet section, then realized the skyraider is a prop plane, and posted it again it the props topic.

actually, it seems to be visble a lighter line on the angle between the horizontal stab leading edge and the side of it, o it will mean more masking...

well, masking is, all in all, one of the primary tasks in modeling, ain't it?

be well, tom, and thanks for asking to see my finished spad although, with all this unforeseen work, i'm not sure that it will be finished before i leave for july holidays. anyway, i'll keep uou up to date.

bets greetings, bobo.

Stablemate 412 has the Corogard treatment on the horizontal stabilizer and, as you surmised bobo, it carries around to the tips.

IMG_9711_zpshdhesk0g.jpg

Edit: I just saw GW8345's post referencing the same observation over on the "Props" sub-forum.

Edited by RichB63

Whoops!!  I looked in props and missed it somehow.  Looks like you already had more than enough clarification on the subject. I still look forward to seeing your model, whenever it gets done.  Have a great vacation, Bobo.

Cheers,

Tom

hi tom.

i masked and airbrushed the "corogard" on the wings. unmasked this late evening, and it's a quite decent job.

i'm particularily happy that the masking was successful around the main gear well fairing root.

i used my faithful 2.0 mm. ustar taiwanese tape, which acts flexing almost as if it were kabuki. i sincerely recommend it. i got it from australian bna, and it goes in 2, 3 , 4 and 6 mm. wide, but i believe that the 2 mm. is the best if you have curved surfaces.

honestly, in 1/72 scale the fin and stabilizers don't even bear an engraved reference line, and i decided to do without this detail. remember a job like that with cream yellow on a 72nd a-6 intruder, but the surfaces were wider.

i did also succeed in restoring the 4 gun setup, after the japs of hasegawa made me dispose of the outer guns for the post-korean spads...

never trust instructions...always go for period pics...when available...:rolleyes:

so, tomorrow will be more details on the wings, and eventually the joining to the fuselage, and then...the zillion pylons and the weaponry, which can result in requiring the same time of the whole aircraft to model.

thank you for your interest in my work, and for the kind wishes for the coming holidays.

take care and enjoy!

best cheers, bobo.

On 29/6/2017 at 6:48 PM, RichB63 said:

Stablemate 412 has the Corogard treatment on the horizontal stabilizer and, as you surmised bobo, it carries around to the tips.

IMG_9711_zpshdhesk0g.jpg

Edit: I just saw GW8345's post referencing the same observation over on the "Props" sub-forum.

thanks richB. i saw the picture earlier this afternoon, but now photobucket doesn't show it anymore and is asking me to "update my account" , one of the strange -to me- things that apps amuse themselves panicking the computer-illiterate like me.

now i'll try to understand if i am to update arc or photobucket on which, by the way, i have no account...

anyway, speaking of more serious things, i'm pleased to tell you that  i did shoot the corogard on the wings' l.e.s to a rather nice outcome. i also succeeded in painting the two elliptical and the circular black shapes that are present -also in the period's pics- on the wings.

eventually, i mated the wings assembly to the fuselage fool.y...smooth.

actually i have found no source to square out what these shapes mean. i suppose something related to electronics, but i can't go farther.

maybe you have some suggestion? thanks in advance!

ciao and best greetings, bobo.