Eagle Claw RH-53 question

Somebody else wrote:

"Photos of the Eagle Claw '53s show them be in a more yellowish shade of sand, possibly Tan Special 20400, or Sand 33531. Seeing how Navy and Marine Corps aircraft during the 80s, especially helicopters, occasionally received local desert camo schemes in the Middle East using 20400, Tan Special, I would suggest that as a more likely color."

Someone else suggested

it might have been 30279.

See: http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=20400+33531+30279

20400 looks pretty close to me in most online pictures, a bit too dark in others, and nowhere close in a few. The other two colors don't look close, but again that's relying on what those chips and the photos look like on my computer screen. Note that the helicopters were painted aboard ship, having arrived in the standard overall dark blue-gray paint scheme, which might have affected the resulting color.

There are not only no stencils in the pictures available to me but no national insignia either.

Lighting is everything when trying to determine the correct color hue.  All the pictures show various lighting, so I have a suggestion.  Take a scrap model or large piece of plastic.  First spray with gloss engine grey FS16081 followed by one coat of FS20400, and see how that looks.  You could also try painting the other two tan colors at either end of the sample to determine the same effect.  Look at the sample under flouescent lighting, then outside under slightly overcast skies to see the difference.  Oh, don't forget to take the actual photo with you for comparison.  Results may vary.

R/ Dutch