1/32 Cavalier Turbo Mustang conversion

Hello everyone, i decided to come back to the forum and try to picture a new WIP for this ugly but good looking airplane.

This is what i am after, i will finish it as in the picture, bare metal. This was the one and only prototype built before they came out with a kind of SEA scheme, that i dont like by the way, and i dont want to do a WHAT IF airplane.

tm3copy_zpsp6stizuq.jpg

I am using Tamiya's P-51D and the only resin kit available in the market for a 1/32 scale from RESIN 2 DETAIL.

_MG_1870_zpsnbpfcjrd.jpg

I am going to talk about the conversion set, there is no need to talk about the model itself, because we already know the quality of tamiyas models.

this is what you get inside the box, plenty of pieces in white resin.

_MG_1867_zpsrjmmdbnl.jpg

the detail in the pieces is good, some pieces came twisted, but nothing that some hot water can take care of. The nose section is a huge chunck or resin, very heavy, i will need to drill the center of it to remove some resin to lightened the nose section, te detail in the nose is basic as just panel lines, i will need to improve some of the details by adding some fasteners and some PE clamps for the engine cowling doors.

One important thing is that the resin kit comes without any instructions at all, so you have to figure it out where to cut the model pieces , this guys promised a PDF file with instructions, but so far nothing, so i will have to use common sence on this build.

Here you see in black what needs to be removed from the original pieces in order to make room for the new ones

_MG_1869_zps2bfrk4ss.jpg

So lets start, as always , we start with the cockpit, the rear fuselage fuel tank needs to go away and make room for the new radio compartment

_MG_1868_zpsarf8uilk.jpg

here it is 

_MG_1871_zpshtay0pjw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so i call it done the interior, here are some pictures, also i did some tryouts on the fitting of the resin nose, and for now this is what i can say, the fitting let a lot to be desired, the resin nose is wider than the fuselage,about 1mm on each side of the fuselage, i dont know yet how i will approach this issue, tomorrow i will post a picture of the problem, so you guys can give me ideas on how to address that problem

_MG_1877_zpsigxyjtd9.jpg

_MG_1876_zps3h0kusoq.jpg

_MG_1875_zpsyo1zq14p.jpg

Let the surgery begin, i started with the belly radiator inlet, it is history now, thougt it will be difficult, it turns out it was a simple task

_MG_1878_zpsbisk1ggk.jpg

and here is the resin plug for the belly to replace the missing radiator inlet

_MG_1879_zpshlgdhcs6.jpg

Some update, started to fit the flat resin belly plug to eliminate the radiator inlet, the fiiting of this piece was not the best, the resin plug was warped and the resin didnt went all the way in the mold, as you can see in the picture how the fitting was, had to cut the plug in order to make it fit the fuselage better

_MG_1892_zps1fhqav6u.jpg

after lots or sanding and filling i managed to finish this firs modification.

_MG_1893_zpswsrohcub.jpg

_MG_1894_zpsr4xlpk3p.jpg

I am moving to the next area, the nose plug, first i drilled the center section of the nose plug to reduce the weight of it

_MG_1897_zpsqsesi7j9.jpg

The fitting of the nose was quite simple and forward, very nice fitting and simple work of filling to remove the joint of the plastic and resin

_MG_1898_zpspadvmmnq.jpg

_MG_1900_zpsvorqvr2t.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Your work on the belly plug is superb, it looks like it came out of the box that way!

It's nice to see one of these in a decent size. Now, if they came out with an Enforcer conversion kit I'd be in trouble...!