F/A-18F Dicals question

35 minutes ago, Barracuda250 said:

Hello to all!!! Does some of F/A-18F wear the Grim Reapers VF-101 markings? If not, please advice some colorous dicals for 1/48.

Same question is for F-8E Crusader. Thanks, guys!!!

For the Super Hornet: No, VF-101, after the Phantom, was Tomcats only. They went away in 2005 and only returned fairly recently was VFA-101 to train F-35 pilots. 

18 hours ago, okthree said:

I have always thought a Super Hornet in the markings of VFA-101 would be a great "what if".

I don't think VF 101 flew the Crusader either.

No they didn't. 

VF-101 became the Phantom RAG, along with  in 1960 with VF-101 Det-A at Oceana. When Det A was shut down Phantom training went to Key West, but in 66 returned to Oceana to train basic flight principles for the Phantom while Key West focused on combat. 

19 hours ago, okthree said:

I have always thought a Super Hornet in the markings of VFA-101 would be a great "what if".

I don't think VF 101 flew the Crusader either.

Not to hijack the discussion, but sometimes I think a "What-if USN" build would be fantastic. VF-101 markings on Crusaders and Hornets, VF-161 Tomcats, VA-61 Jolly Rogers Skyhawks, VF-96 Tomcats and Hornets, VF-84 F-4S lo-vis, VF-24 Super Hornets, etc. Like the VMFA-333 Tomcat I did years ago. :) 

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
3 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Not to hijack the discussion, but sometimes I think a "What-if USN" build would be fantastic. VF-101 markings on Crusaders and Hornets, VF-161 Tomcats, VA-61 Jolly Rogers Skyhawks, VF-96 Tomcats and Hornets, VF-84 F-4S lo-vis, VF-24 Super Hornets, etc. Like the VMFA-333 Tomcat I did years ago. :) 

I did put VF-101 decals on a whiff "F-8S" a few years ago..

They fit in fairly well. 

Aircal, there are photos that show pretty much what a GSB Phantom would have looked like.

Look around at your favorite sites or books for photographs of the mockup for the AH-1 Phantom.

On 6/28/2017 at 11:12 AM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

There was actually an F-8 that had VF-101 markings on it. Of course, it was in the NAS Oceana Air Park, but it was a real plane with VF-101 markings, so it technically wouldn't be a Whiffer.

20 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

There was actually an F-8 that had VF-101 markings on it. Of course, it was in the NAS Oceana Air Park, but it was a real plane with VF-101 markings, so it technically wouldn't be a Whiffer.

Wasn't that what markings it was wearing when we were there for the Tomcat sunset?

2 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Wasn't that what markings it was wearing when we were there for the Tomcat sunset?

Indeed it was my friend! I've always wanted to do a Monogram Crusader in those markings just to drive the judges nuts at a contest. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2017 at 0:12 PM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

I've always thought a proper Jolly Rogers F-8 would look amazing.

Also, I have an Idea for a VF-2 Phantom.

Yeah, I'm down for a What If USN group build.

20 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

I've always thought a proper Jolly Rogers F-8 would look amazing.

Also, I have an Idea for a VF-2 Phantom.

Yeah, I'm down for a What If USN group build.

This is my Shamrocks Tomcat, must've been done about 14-15 yrs ago....

http://hsfeatures.com/f14amarinesad_1.htm