1/48 Revell Luftwaffe Tornado IDS, Afghanistan 2009

Hi everyone!

I just complete my 23rd model, the 1/48 Revell Panavia Tornado IDS in Luftwaffe JaboG 31 markings from Afghanistan deployment at Mazer-e-Sharif in 2009.  Let me just start by saying this is not an easy kit to build, particularly the wings and intakes.  This ranks up there with the Hasegawa Tomcat as the most challenging builds I have encountered to far.  In addition to the tricky wings and intakes, the instructions are really not good at all.  Even worse, however, is the nonsensical parts numbering and part placement among the sprues.  The parts are just spread all over, with a sprue containing parts in the 20s maybe and other in the 40s 50s 60s 70s up to the 100s.  The sprues are all lettered, but the instructions never call out a letter, only the number.  So much time is wasted hunting down parts by the number and appearance only.  And since the numbers have no organization on the sprues, you literally hunt by appearance then check to see if it is the right number.  Maddening!

But with all of that said, it really does build into a nice model.  The detail is quite good, despite the fact they added an extra panel line at the nose before the nosecone or something.  It's just not quite right there.  I am very happy with how this turned out despite some flaws and alignment issues that have only become apparent after looking at the pics. I used the Wingman Models Luftwaffe Tornados Part 1 sheet for this, and I must say they are quite awesome.  No issues at all and they performed flawless.  There was a little bit of an issue with the stencil diagram with incorrect numbering, but nothing that was not able to be figured out with some thought and deduction.  I recommend this to anyone looking to do a German Tornado!

Kit: 1/48 Revell of Germany Tornado IDS

Decals: Wingman Models WMD48006 Luftwaffe Tornados Part 1

Aftermarket: Pavla Ejection Seats, Hasegawa Weapons Sets C (AGM-88s), Master Model Pitot

Paints: Gunze Mr. Surfacer Black 1500 (primer base),  Tamiya Liquid White Primer (for marble coat), Gunze Aqueous FS 35237 Grayish Blue, FS 36375 Light Ghost Gray, FS 36320 Dark Ghost Gray, and FS 36173 Neutral Gray, Tamiya XF-24 Dark Gray,  Rubber Black, Clear Red, Clear Green, and Smoke, and Alclad II Gloss Black Primer, Airframe Aluminum, Pale Burnt Metal, and Burnt Iron. Future Gloss coat for decals and Future+Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base 6:1 ratio for final matte coat. Mig Ammo Deep Gray panel wash.

I am aware that some of the pics are kinda blurry.  But I hope you enjoy!

357557-16625-24.jpg

357535-16625-96.jpg

357537-16625-63.jpg

357545-16625-72.jpg

357547-16625-46.jpg

357548-16625-80.jpg

357551-16625-35.jpg

357554-16625-27.jpg

357556-16625-99.jpg

357557-16625-24.jpg

Fantastic work. Weathering is right on. 

One catch, the Luftwaffe Tornados weren't carrying anything other than cameras during their OEF missions. I never saw them with munitions. 

13 hours ago, shan said:

wow , simply   superb !!!!

Thanks so much for the kind words shan!

5 hours ago, a4s4eva said:

That looks great. Suitably dirty as well

Thanks Calum!  I always really appreciate your comments.

3 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

Great weathering and overall finish! :cheers:

Thanks Sebastijan, I really appreciate that coming from you.

3 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Fantastic work. Weathering is right on. 

One catch, the Luftwaffe Tornados weren't carrying anything other than cameras during their OEF missions. I never saw them with munitions. 

Thanks ST0RM!  

Yeah, I had read they were only there on in a reconnaissance role.  But I couldn't resist adding the munitions and pods.  Even worse, I don't even think the German  IDS carried the AGM-88, but it was the ADV that did.  Shhhhhh!  ;-)

2 hours ago, lordstripe said:

Stunning as usual! Particular love the weathering on the tail :thumbsup:

Thanks so much Greg!  The soot staining on the tail from the thrust reversers was fun to do.  :-)

10 minutes ago, Lancer512 said:

Dude, that is some excellent work, there!

The AGM-88 is normally carried by the Tornado ECR, but I have heard that it could be launched by an IDS via datalink from an ECR.

Thanks man! 

Doh, I meant to say ECR instead of ADV. But I didn't know about the datalink possibility. That is cool to know, thanks for sharing. That takes my build from pure fantasy to unlikely, but possible. I'll take that! Lol

On 6/29/2017 at 4:33 PM, Stinger16 said:

Beaurtfil build there Mike, your work in incredible, can't wait to see what's next

Thanks Jeff!  The KH Fitter is up next.  :-)

On 6/30/2017 at 4:18 PM, Janissary said:

What a beauty!

Thanks bud, I appreciate the kind words!

On 6/30/2017 at 5:01 PM, my favs are F`s said:

Hi, very nice weathering and overall look! GJ! 

Thank you for the kind words!!!

6 hours ago, Scooby said:

Very nice, this kit is on my "to-do" but every tine I read a build it scares me away!

26 build of the year? Wow!

Thanks Scooby!  Yeah, it is definitely a challenging build.  If it wasn't for the really crappy instructions and sprue set-up, it wouldn't be as bad.

Actually, it is 23 builds total in the two years I have been building models.  :-)