1/48 F-4B. Zoukei-Mura Conversion. VF-51 CAG Bird

Hi,

Just finished this F-4B in VF-51 Screaming Eagles CAG Colors.    This jet Killed one MIG and displayed the 4 MIG kills the squadron scored on its last Vietnam cruise.  The kit is the new Zoukei-Mura F-4J kit with the following additions:

Accessories used:

• Eduard Brassin F-4B wheels
  • Master Metal Pitot tubes and AOA Sensor
  • Eduard Brassin Seats w/ PE

Scratch Built items are:

• Chine Pod
  • Fin Cap
  • Thin wing including the wheel well and speed brakes
  • Non-Slatted Plain Elevator
  • F-4B WSO left side panel
  • F-4B WSO Upper and Mid forward Instrument Panel
  • Scratch built Canopy sills, Breaker bar
  • Short Exhaust Nozzle, Trim,  Exhaust tube, and burner assembly
  • Intake fans. (The Kit supplied full engines were not used)

fullsizeoutput_22e_zpsfrvp5dua.jpeg

IMG_3884_zpslbatfml9.jpg

IMG_3885_zpsyfmki0do.jpg

IMG_3902_zpsx8k228g1.jpg

IMG_3903_zpswk4tdrtn.jpg

IMG_3919_zpsoivvahp4.jpg

IMG_3910_zpswwmhfneu.jpg

IMG_3911_zps9gdyf1tc.jpg

IMG_3916_zpsn1pf0l2x.jpg

IMG_3917_zps0qrd8e3n.jpg

IMG_3900_zpsgfeimbdd.jpg

IMG_3892_zpsnuvgw3av.jpg

IMG_3890_zpsrdawtwtc.jpg

Edited by ghatherly

Nice scratch building.  Now that you did all that work, ZM is  guaranteed to release  a B/N next. 

All kidding aside, do you have any in progress pictures?  I would love to see how you did the thin wing conversion.

6 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Nice scratch building.  Now that you did all that work, ZM is  guaranteed to release  a B/N next. 

All kidding aside, do you have any in progress pictures?  I would love to see how you did the thin wing conversion.

Hi Kurt,

Sorry no in progress pics, and very hard to explain with out them.  I fully expect see a F-4B from ZM fairly soon seeing the popularity of that type.   With the "S" coming out it would be great to see some new 1/48 decals made for that kit.

I am researching a similar build, actually same squadron modex 103. 

Non-slotted vs slatted tail stabs?  Did VF-51 complete that '72 war cruise with slotted or non slotted stabs?  

Nice looking build, shame my build won't come close to your work. 

Cheers

collin

7 hours ago, Collin said:

I am researching a similar build, actually same squadron modex 103. 

Non-slotted vs slatted tail stabs?  Did VF-51 complete that '72 war cruise with slotted or non slotted stabs?  

Nice looking build, shame my build won't come close to your work. 

Cheers

collin

Hi Colllin, thanks to you and everyone else for the kind words.  Photo research is inconclusive at the time of the Linbacker Cruises.  What I do have on good authority from one of our Modeling club members who was USN and on the ship at the time was that VF-111 had the slated elevator from a recent rework, and that VF-51 were some of the oldest B's in the fleet and newly transferred and freshly painted prior to deployment.   I made mine  based on his input.  Many of the pictures of Aircraft form either squadron were taken after the deployent when the aircraft were fresh from conversion to "N{ configuration.

Edited by ghatherly

Nice build. To clear up any confusion about the stabs. Slotted stabs would have been retrofitted a few years prior to that particular cruise under the Project Heavyweight upgrade rework after 67/68 time frame.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

46 minutes ago, Gunny said:

Nice build. To clear up any confusion about the stabs. Slotted stabs would have been retrofitted a few years prior to that particular cruise under the Project Heavyweight upgrade rework after 67/68 time frame.

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Appreciate the input but my information on the Stabs is correct for the aircraft in this squadron.  The information above comes from first hand accounts of squadron personnel and maintenance records for the jets in question.  

No problem. Not sure if 150456 would have retrograded back to unslotted stabs before being assigned to VF-51 before their WestPac/Vietnam Cruise when LCDR Jerry Beaman Houston / LT Kevin Thomas Moore splashed their MiG-17 four years later on 06May72 when she had already had slotted stabs installed in 1967. Not trying to publicly show you up, make a fool of you or anything of the sort, (I'm not trying to make this one of those argumentative manhood measuring contests that some folks get into about this if you know what I mean so please don't take it that way!), but here's a partial history compiled from 150456's official archived Naval History and Heritage Command's ACHC (Aircraft History Card) as it relates to some of major mods:

-18Feb67 End of Tour 3 - Commenced PAR (Progressive Aircraft Re-work) at NARF (Naval Aircraft Re-work Facility) North Island Naval Base, California - Project Heavyweight & Shoehorn modifications through 30May67

*Note: Project Heavyweight were the mods for all F-4Bs undergoing this particular re-work at North Island or concurrently/later on the production line in St. Louis for the following: chaff/flare bucket aft of RAT on port side & identical location on starboard side, fixed inboard leading edge flaps, structural strengthening/lengthening of the main landing gear struts, drooped ailerons, & slotted horizontal stabs. Not sure about any/all other possible minor or significant external/internal mods at this time other than the AN/APR-100 "Shoehorn" ECM/Avionics suite mods then being installed in some F-4Bs & soon thereafter on all operational "lead nose" F-4Js that did not have a radar or the one's still having the AN/APQ-100 then awaiting the upgraded AN/AWG-10 / AN/AWG-10(A) semi-digital radar package

Here's some supplemental intel that you & others might be curious about or find interesting as to the beginning & the remaining life of this historic old bird:

-US Navy Bureau Number 150456 (McDonnell Ship Number 242) 

-05Nov62 First Flight

-06Dec62 Acceptance by BUWEPS Fleet Readiness Representative St Louis, Missouri 

-08Dec62 VF-121 Miramar - Start Tour 1....

*06May72 MiG-17 Kill (AIM-9) LCDR Jerry Beaman Houston / LT Kevin Thomas Moore....

-17Dec73 NARF North Island - End of Tour 6 - Awaiting Progressive Aircraft Rework Conversion "Project Beeline"

-30Jan74 T/M/S change F-4N and commenced PAR Conversion (P088)

-08Oct74 PAR Conversion completed - Ready For Issue....

-20Nov84 NARF Cherry Point - Reserve/Retention SLNC (5521 total flight hours)

-03Feb86 T/M/S change QF-4N and commenced SDLM CILOP

-24Jul86 SDLM CILOP complete - Ready For Issue

-24Aug86 NWC China Lake, California for test vehicle & target drone duties

And unfortunately her fate....

-27Jan89 Sticken Category 1 Damage - Expended as Target Drone (5593+ total flight hours)...that is some serious flight time even for a 27 year old warhorse!

-Strike Code 1KF2 (Strike due to damage; Experiment Development, Evaluation; Target drone expenditure; Missing or completely destroyed or economically inaccessible) :crying:

-Earlier pic below of 150456 when she was still an F-4B in July68 with slotted stabs when assigned to VF-161 Chargers at Miramar. This was four years before her MiG killing mission when assigned to VF-51 on 06May72 as depicted on the decals you used.  

150456 tail.jpg

Edited by Gunny

Like I said guys great discussion.   I wish you were around when I asked the question an no one responded.   I sent your info over to my buddy Richard so he can see the pics.

Are there any other complaints that you have Gunny? Like maybe a cockpit switch int he wrong position?   No issue with your questions and appreciate your input but still at a loss for your passive aggressive attitude and a general lack of manners.  I would hope the Corp would have taught you better.    

To contrast Collin and I had a very nice discussion with both PM's and posts which is what the spirit of these forums is all about.   Ours was good to minus your insults.   I look forward to seeing your builds on here Gunny.   Now you can have the last word so say something cute.  I am off tot he NATS!!!  Maybe I can change the elevators before then.

Y'all have a great day!

Edited by ghatherly
16 hours ago, ghatherly said:

Like I said guys great discussion.   I wish you were around when I asked the question an no one responded.   I sent your info over to my buddy Richard so he can see the pics.

Are there any other complaints that you have Gunny? Like maybe a cockpit switch int he wrong position?   No issue with your questions and appreciate your input but still at a loss for your passive aggressive attitude and a general lack of manners.  I would hope the Corp would have taught you better.    

To contrast Collin and I had a very nice discussion with both PM's and posts which is what the spirit of these forums is all about.   Ours was good to minus your insults.   I look forward to seeing your builds on here Gunny.   Now you can have the last word so say something cute.  I am off tot he NATS!!!  Maybe I can change the elevators before then.

Y'all have a great day!

Whoa! Unless I missed a post, Gunny wasn't being passive-aggressive at all. In fact, he went out of his way to state he didn't want it to be taken negatively. I think he was merely trying to give information. That's the problem with forums and online communication. With no body language or intonation as a point of reference, we tend to read into posts and view them from a perspective that wasn't meant. I think this may be one of those times. Again, maybe there was communication I'm not privy to, but just from what's posted in this thread, I think he was only trying to be helpful.

Hey Darren,

Yes you are missing something, as this member posted on My F-4S build thread running down the kit and spouting off nonsense.  I try to get things as accurate as possible, and new info is always welcome.  I busted my friends chops hard over this and we had a good laugh.   Goes to show that even memories can get things wrong.  No big deal as this is just a hobby.   Now I have to change the elevator on the build and find an older B to use them on.   Like building another model is a real problem.   I have absolutely no problem making an error at all, I make many but with statements like:

Not trying to publicly show you up, make a fool of you or anything of the sort, (I'm not trying to make this one of those argumentative manhood measuring contests that some folks get into about this if you know what I mean so please don't take it that way!)

I feel is passive aggressive and totally uncalled for.   In the F-4S thread I reached out a hand of friendship to the Gunny as we both live in the same area and being a Vet myself ( USAF) tried to make a new friend.  I, like you, use my real name in posts so no hiding behind a screen name.  His response was not friendly.  OK, fine, you don't want to meet new people I get it but then to make the above statement to someone you don't know?   That is how I see it.  Your point is well taken and I agree 100% that threads and emails are great sources of misunderstood communications.  That is why I avoid anything other than the barest of facts, and leave discussion to PM's and phone calls.

Anyhow, Back to the resin shop getting ready for next week and the "FUN". 20 hour drive from Charleston, SC. to Omaha.

Be Safe,

Gary

17 hours ago, ghatherly said:

Y'all have a great day!

Beautiful Work Gary! Did you make Masters of the additional parts? Sorry if this has already been asked.

Eric

Correct me if I am wrong but this is the "display case" forum.  It states compliments are welcome.  I think some of the posts could be taken as criticism.

my 2 cents, ducking and covering

Geoff M

2 hours ago, ghatherly said:

Hey Darren,

Yes you are missing something, as this member posted on My F-4S build thread running down the kit and spouting off nonsense.  I try to get things as accurate as possible, and new info is always welcome.  I busted my friends chops hard over this and we had a good laugh.   Goes to show that even memories can get things wrong.  No big deal as this is just a hobby.   Now I have to change the elevator on the build and find an older B to use them on.   Like building another model is a real problem.   I have absolutely no problem making an error at all, I make many but with statements like:

Not trying to publicly show you up, make a fool of you or anything of the sort, (I'm not trying to make this one of those argumentative manhood measuring contests that some folks get into about this if you know what I mean so please don't take it that way!)

I feel is passive aggressive and totally uncalled for.   In the F-4S thread I reached out a hand of friendship to the Gunny as we both live in the same area and being a Vet myself ( USAF) tried to make a new friend.  I, like you, use my real name in posts so no hiding behind a screen name.  His response was not friendly.  OK, fine, you don't want to meet new people I get it but then to make the above statement to someone you don't know?   That is how I see it.  Your point is well taken and I agree 100% that threads and emails are great sources of misunderstood communications.  That is why I avoid anything other than the barest of facts, and leave discussion to PM's and phone calls.

Anyhow, Back to the resin shop getting ready for next week and the "FUN". 20 hour drive from Charleston, SC. to Omaha.

Be Safe,

Gary

Roger that! Be safe driving and stop by my table to introduce yourself and chat. 

• 3 weeks later...