Meng F-35 available

I think this kit looks wonderful. However I must be one of the few modellers who has no interest whatsoever in this aircraft. I think there must be more of us out there. I also feel like it is a love/hate relationship with this aircraft. Either you love it or hate it. Maybe it is the shape? I love the canopy but not much else. The F-22 is similar and I love that one. Go figure.

You would think I would be a happy modeller since I live in Canada and the Canadian government at one time had this on their list as our Hornet replacement.

Hmm maybe I should just actually see the kit before I make any rash judgements?

I got this kit and this F-35 looks really nice, far better then Kitty Hawk kit (where there was no room for ejection seat inside the cockpit :)).

Nice to see there will be such masks:

galaxyd48003previewbg_1.jpg

Yeah I think it would be a better idea to produce decals specific for the RAMs rather than putting all the masks on the entire plane and leaving behind a very small percentage to be painted on...just my personal opinion anyway...

I don't like decals.

Those RAM are very important places. If you paint it wih a little shadowing, those elements could be very nice eye catcher for this model.

Add to this new gray for F-35 and Have Gloss paints from Mr. Paint - and you have got F-35A as real one. :)

• 4 weeks later...

One note,the wing tip light covers are clear,not colored as Brett has them according to my son who works on the F-35A at Hill,a small colored cover goes over the bulb like on the F-16,a clear cover then goes over the light assembly. 

He also points out the RAM is a bit heavy on the MENG kit and really the 1:1 RAM is hardly raised and would probably be better using a decal for it. Lately,the later F-35's delivered at Hill the RAM is barely noticeable since is roughly the same color as the paint now (he's the guy that applies the RAM and all things stealthy on the F-35).Also,all the fastners that MENG has on the RAM should not be there,the only fastners that show on the real aircraft are underneath near the engine section. 

16 hours ago, ThePhantomTwo said:

One note,the wing tip light covers are clear,not colored as Brett has them according to my son who works on the F-35A at Hill,a small colored cover goes over the bulb like on the F-16,a clear cover then goes over the light assembly. 

He also points out the RAM is a bit heavy on the MENG kit and really the 1:1 RAM is hardly raised and would probably be better using a decal for it. Lately,the later F-35's delivered at Hill the RAM is barely noticeable since is roughly the same color as the paint now (he's the guy that applies the RAM and all things stealthy on the F-35).Also,all the fastners that MENG has on the RAM should not be there,the only fastners that show on the real aircraft are underneath near the engine section. 

I know this is probably not going to happen, but some overall shots of a bird painted in the new paint scheme would be great.

I'll see what I have,my son is too busy with his job and upgrade training to hit the PAO for a flightline  photo pass but there are a few pics on the the net that show the new RAM being hard to see unlike the past ones where it's noticeable. I'm going to have to find another photo hosting since Photo bucket went full on stupid 

On 8/9/2017 at 10:15 PM, ThePhantomTwo said:

I'll see what I have,my son is too busy with his job and upgrade training to hit the PAO for a flightline  photo pass but there are a few pics on the the net that show the new RAM being hard to see unlike the past ones where it's noticeable. I'm going to have to find another photo hosting since Photo bucket went full on stupid 

Agreed on Photobucket. I switched to ImageShack.

On 8/7/2017 at 3:54 PM, Mr Matt Foley said:

I know this is probably not going to happen, but some overall shots of a bird painted in the new paint scheme would be great.

No pics, Matt. I have a photo pass but there are too many people that are totally freaked about getting any pics of the Hill F-35A's (at least on the 388FW ramp). After reading this thread I drove the ramp twice in two days in different light conditions to try and catch the difference. I noticed a FY year 2015 aircraft that looked to have less contrast between the main color and RAM panels. I have to say that the difference was noticeable, but not remarkable. There is still a contrast between the two colors. So don't throw away those masks quite yet!  

After my driving excursions there was one being towed by my workplace (I couldn't catch the serial number as it was too far away; about 150' in distance). This jet appeared to be as close to monochromatic as we all thought they would be.  Bottom line for now?  I hate to say it but I just can't tell. Not helping things is it has been very bright on the flight line during the day. Perhaps I can offer more insight when we get a cloudy day. 

Edited by Shawn C.
5 hours ago, Shawn C. said:

No pics, Matt. I have a photo pass but there are too many people that are totally freaked about getting any pics of the Hill F-35A's (at least on the 388FW ramp). After reading this thread I drove the ramp twice in two days in different light conditions to try and catch the difference. I noticed a FY year 2015 aircraft that looked to have less contrast between the main color and RAM panels. I have to say that the difference was noticeable, but not remarkable. There is still a contrast between the two colors. So don't throw away those marks quite yet!  

After my driving excursions there was one being towed by my workplace (I couldn't catch the serial number as it was too far away; about 150' in distance). This jet appeared to be as close to monochromatic as we all thought they would be.  Bottom line for now?  I hate to say it but I just can't tell. Not helping things is it has been very bright on the flight line during the day. Perhaps I can offer more insight when we get a cloudy day. 

Thanks for posting Shawn! Your insight is much appreciated. Maybe someday in the future (years ahead), if you have time and energy, you could post some. Thanks again for posting and your service.