MiG I-320 - 1/72 scale kit from Modelsvit

Designed to fulfil a Soviet AF requrement for an all-weather/night fighter, the MiG I320 employed two Klimov VK-1 centrifugal turbojets mounted in tandem - the front engine exhausting under the centre fuselage, the rear engine with a conventional tail exhaust.

The two crew were seated side-by-side under a clear canopy and the third prototype was fitted with a 'Korshun' (Kite) radar in a thimble radome above the front intake.

Making its first flight in 1949, the MiG I-320 had a rival in the similarly laid out Lavochkin La-200 (tandem VK-1 engines, Korshun radar, side-by-side seating, 3 x 37mm cannon) and the Sukhoi Su-15 (tandem RD-45 engines, Toryii radar, single seat, 2 x 37mm cannon)

None of the three rivals made it to production - the night fighter requirement was finally met by the later Yak-25.

Modelsvit have now produced a kit of the MiG I-320 in 1/72 scale - and what a cracker it is, with fine engraved detail, well moulded parts, self-adhesive masks for the canopy, wheel hubs, gun blast area and the small aerials on the fin.

Construction was fairly straight forward - see my WIF here.

This is certainly their best kit yet in terms of finesse - it even incorporates part numbers on the sprues for the first time...:thumbsup:

Enough talk, here are some pics of the finished model......

Photo_41.jpg

Underside showing the two staggered jet exhausts.

Photo_42.jpg

Top view - note the excellent clear canopy and the neat panel detail.

Photo_43.jpg

Photo_44.jpg

Open airbrakes are included.

Photo_46.jpg

Photo_47.jpg

The only thing I replaced was the cannon barrels - from thin metal tubing.

Photo_48.jpg

Looking like a basking shark....

Ken

More...

Photo_49.jpg

Side view showing the single NR-37 cannon on the port side....

Photo_51.jpg

....with twin cannons to starboard.

Photo_50.jpg

Rear end showing the two jet exhausts and open airbrakes.

Photo_52.jpg

The rivals - the Lavochkin La-200 (from Avis - left) and MiG I-320 (from Modelsvit - right).

Photo_53.jpg

Same engines, same crew layout, same radar, same armament.

Photo_54.jpg

Photo_55.jpg

Another addition to the growing range of Soviet/Russian jets - thanks Modelsvit :worthy:

Ken

One thing I forgot to mention is that inside the front fuselage is a fully detailed Klimov VK-1 tubojet engine.

Made up from thirteen parts it can be made into a model in its own right - as it cannot be seen once installed inside the I-320 fuselage...

Photo_22.jpg

With a bit of super-detailing and an engine stand, it would make a nice diorama model on its own - it could also double as the Rolls Royce Nene from which it derives.

It could be displayed next to a Supermarine Attacker, Hawker Seahawk, Grumman F9F Pamther or MiG-15.

How about it Modelsvit? - release it as a kit on its own - complete with engine stand.

Ken

• 4 weeks later...