2 hours ago, Ken Cartwright said:

I've always found it works well, but don't use it much because I have my own domain and hosted site.  

Nice looking Flanker, btw :)

I used to have my own hosted site and domain, but I let it lapse, I was looking at renewing earlier, and Just Host want nearly $400US just to fire it all back up again!

$400 US for your own webspace and domain? Wow! That seems a lot, unless it was a root server.

I annually pay $9US for both of my two domains, and about $120US for the webspace with mysql and php.

Edited by Lancer512
On 7/1/2017 at 6:14 AM, MoFo said:

Here's 100

S.No. Photo Sharing Site Name Photo Sharing Site URL

100 Google Photos www.google.com/photos

Anybody has experience with this? 

I'm thinking about either using flickr, or google photo.. (and now imgur, after seeing this topic)

Cheers,

Mario

Indonesia

On 6/30/2017 at 5:14 PM, Lancer512 said:

You might want to read the fine-print of the above mentioned hosts about 3rd party linking before you join any of them.

Unfortunately, most won't see or heed your advice, one reason being that reading fine print is anathema (including to me).

Imgur seems to be a front runner to replace PhotoBucket, but note this from their TOS under Stuff not to do:

Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it.

I have no idea if individual posts (like ours here at ARC) fall under the above proclamation. But as we abandon PhotoBucket, bandwidth previously used with PhotoBucket will shift to other hosts like Imgur, potentially creating problems for those hosts. Hopefully we won't enter a spiral of broken hosts or links, but seems inevitable that in the end, someone will get our $$.

Gene K

2 minutes ago, Lancer512 said:

Maybe it really depends on the bandwidth you're using.

Yes, but how is that measured or controlled? Once you post a picture, who counts when and how many times it's been viewed, factoring in image size and time period? Is it counted when someone clicks on your picture, or when the page on which your picture resides is viewed, or when the host site is viewed?  According to PhotoBucket, we are all guilty.

Yada, yada, yada. My head hurts. I'm going to Imgur with Drewe.

Gene K

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

Unfortunately, most won't see or heed your advice, one reason being that reading fine print is anathema (including to me).

Imgur seems to be a front runner to replace PhotoBucket, but note this from their TOS under Stuff not to do:

I have no idea if individual posts (like ours here at ARC) fall under the above proclamation. But as we abandon PhotoBucket, bandwidth previously used with PhotoBucket will shift to other hosts like Imgur, potentially creating problems for those hosts. Hopefully we won't enter a spiral of broken hosts or links, but seems inevitable that in the end, someone will get our $$.

Gene K

I have no problem paying for my hosting at all. I have been on a paid plan with Photobucket since I first set up an account. But the increase from £4 a month to £40 for the same level of service is simply. Indeed a good part of my sense of security was from the fact that I was PAYING them for my image hosting, not getting it free. 

Right now I'm checking around for a domain and web hosting option, and feel severely burned that I trusted photobucket with my images - the important stuff is backed up sure, but many of the model ones aren't, I just wanted somwhere to dump them not taking up my own space, and trusted them to do that. It certainly throws the risks of using cloud services into sharp relief doesn't it? I can see the ramifications running clean through the cloud industry. 

(In fact I'm so wary of "free" services I'm actively looking for a paid option. Although looking at how that has worked out for my PB account I'm asking myself why!)

Edited by Dmanton300
3 minutes ago, Dmanton300 said:

...  feel severely burned that I trusted photobucket with my images - the important stuff is backed up sure, but many of the model ones aren't, I just wanted somwhere to dump them not taking up my own space, and trusted them to do that. 

Drewe,

Unless your paid account is different, all of your images should still be on the PhotoBucket server  for your access -- it's only the links to them that are disabled. I and many others have "simply" downloaded our pictures/albums before moving on to another host.

It certainly throws the risks of using cloud services into sharp relief doesn't it?

Yes! With the price of hard drives being so inexpensive, it's certainly worth it to store locally ... or to back up what's on the cloud. Kind of backwards, but our precious photos deserve this kind of insurance.

Gene K

6 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Drewe,

Unless your paid account is different, all of your images should still be on the PhotoBucket server  for your access -- it's only the links to them that are disabled. I and many others have "simply" downloaded our pictures/albums before moving on to another host.

Oh don't misunderstand me - they're there, and viewable. But the apparatus for downloading them back to my own storage album-by-album isn't working right now. I have managed to download 10% of my images in the last 24 hours. I suspect there's a rush of downloading going on - it's like they invited their own DDoS attack!

4 hours ago, Dmanton300 said:

But the apparatus for downloading them back to my own storage album-by-album isn't working right now.

Hope that for all of us Drewe fans that it all gets sorted out with no losses.

In looking for a new host, I was somewhat shocked to come across the fact that reliable and respected Google did something similar (to PhotoBucket's fiasco) last year when they "switched " to Google Photos from Picasa (which they also own) . Google Photos didn't carry over linking to 3rd party sites  ... AND web services apparently no longer work in unsupported Picasa. However, I came across this and used it to come up with the following to embed a Google Photos photo into an ARC post:

On Google Photos:

Go into one of your  Albums

Click on a picture to make it full screen ( vice thumbnail)

Right Click and "Copy image address"

On ARC:

Open a post composition window:

Click "Insert other media"

Click "Insert image from URL"

Rt click and Paste

Add "-tmp.jpg" to the exceedingly long address you just pasted

Click "Insert into post"

Question is - will Google Photos eventually kill such a simple workaround  ... as they evidently haven't facilitated direct links such as this (they certainly have the $$ and expertise to go either way):

tBwKG_43Bbq0oah-uQxulB5VqRPgApxrSczFrHYb

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Though I only have a few pictures on Village.Photo so far, it works quite nicely.

0fef80a0-e5ec-4a0b-a094-3450dfd61d40.JPG

How well it may work with the over 1000 images I had on PB, we'll see.

Chris

In  looking for workarounds to link Google Photos, I just tried this Google Chrome Extension, and it works great for me. Can't get much simpler, I think, even if Google Photos finally allows linking.

p0k6DwZmyOAKs8j0Ao7fQqjNikCSBMfWigl8muEx

Double click on your photo before posting, and  you get option to resize (clickable thumbnail)  by pixels!!!

p0k6DwZmyOAKs8j0Ao7fQqjNikCSBMfWigl8muExtY3IyanCDKXk5JUKz-2ORumsJj8nUPKaSvM6ytJjkYjgHiS_jEKJBkXJThhZghrGJxM0Ks9XeCQkhMSi_xxFmtgaGFyId1_u1k-alCa5opCe-2zWRFDbxRei1vb32lty0iyARnjGqwYyNh_vwtRmAlTUlYbCn0Sq8F8H-ZsSsf2zOuTSqYvbZCM99HzS1NJqx8P_wPnSJ3Z7msN8Mmrq83yVuLUlTytrpMqqT42-7U-Y_I8pj1GOLxSJLfali_epxBDku50VTIrxkT-4_i04DFrQzBpYf089l9x3w_PwAAg7wMJkhFZX1ggEG3OkgTFeBLGx0sRWHBEOjDh7l6yx2u-1keo5BSn8TOFqZAV_c9CICm1X0nWYjI4JhZXEyZdnrg5zRKz8YXZw1imUAitHrdp2iEH84ctjmSdXuamKoB2PSAqttB3XmJO3q1friKvXBkpR7BcqCzXApq57dq9-E1I6vz9sfEQq_rthjRjjfvqWDMvIiGZD1CADKcAtYwcar27ZRuxB9iuwMxd05aZVPRCugIF3RFTFEuOc9ZYs5Z7Q9tShAnajUFVknDHwQC9WySUY9Nhp5sNu=w1000-no-tmp.jpg

69YUbU6XRrFuE2nXXd7R7uF7qcIJPiQxSyugsxdz

:thumbsup:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
46 minutes ago, Gene K said:

In  looking for workarounds to link Google Photos, I just tried this Google Chrome Extension, and it works great for me. Can't get much simpler, I think, even if Google Photos finally allows linking.

I am not seeing your linked images on my end.  Tried in both Chrome and Safari browsers.

Edited by habu2
42 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I am not seeing your linked images on my end.

Well, sheite! :angry: 

Looks good on my computer in Chrome ...  but tried Firefox and all that's displayed is the name of the link, so 

Can you see this link from Google Photos?

EihbVZmRksAIX5u9eP9StrAzeM4LnSbNnKEVTgW5

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Village.Photo seems to work fine here, but on some other forums I either get just a link to the image or a very large image. Not sure what to do about the first issue. As for the second issue, I guess I'll have to re-size images before posting, as Village.Photo doesn't have a sizing function, like PB does.

Chris

Test using Google Photos:  Should be a Castle in Ireland.

Well, the LInk was added and one could click on Link to see Castle.  Wanted ONLY photo to appear, not link.

EDIT: 2nd try

Still doesn't work????  Still have to click on link to see photo???  Also, once in there, ya can see ALL of my photos in Google!!  Don't want that either!!

EDIT; 3rd try using Gene K advise.

nVH11LzqLEjJbG9Fn-NcBiBsWJfGNXptDY6sRkMdsF23ok0c1nZ3RgPWRl0GlAmBfLvnk9O6cJA6oqZqEaL6p8uLN9NoiSFJVj8SFEEGRsQIDiah1lKzYhMlKNKq6cRreS17OMsA2Qk6I_WZY0iE3eHGeEvfrSls2LoTQ41Dnk9anIScjfXcfc7aodKT0aBUMhawZ_57dX-ofX1cZ4Ij5gwhQbh-vy5NsD6tgdjqcWzQKzK8UTOPLfhQbyvMO2Zpty1iIv2HQomkYaa_iznHRBkA3eRWBbXZr3wUJt9Ra4q3P1o04_r5QO-0XVUNZ9e5W0QR7rFUtLbkBPA09vBD4LybeghyrnaFiCKt3GGfQNldIBT_jSRv276Zny3EjX_S71Ow3q-goGlhmIHCE71r1ealjMz1nXpUMVVCfZ2S4mqVDzUrniS6JgM5GZb6_Z34JOTOV9qdlAeGdkoyhdFfceuyQgcOhegAcorxep6xfy-c1FoZRHhAhv5BCv0VKrbt2lKq4_2OI68AbdSNb9-nxCdCs7nTvqMkz7069zCZg8IurhEts1s0oy0dziPOoTQG_-PhTAaDPQjyVrLXx9G9s5DtXVxYSV9gTmjV1gNSSorcpImgWjYbNmeiNsZ2ggfqwyyKW_fqLzLSYH0qtPDkC2mZrOoxIPxZrOuushca-txEaA=w1200-h900-no

Alright!!  Now, how'd I do that??????   Gonna take some practice!!

Edited by jabow
1 hour ago, jabow said:

Test using Google Photos:  Should be a Castle in Ireland.

Well, the LInk was added and one could click on Link to see Castle.  Wanted ONLY photo to appear, not link.

EDIT: 2nd try

Still doesn't work????  Still have to click on link to see photo???  Also, once in there, ya can see ALL of my photos in Google!!  Don't want that either!!

If you installed the Chrome extension I linked, make sure you have the picture in a Shared Album (that's the key - thanks dnl42). In that Shared Album, click on the selected picture to expand it, and then click again - you'll get a message at the bottom that says "Image URL copied to clipboard!". Then just go to ARC and paste into your draft post. Double click twice on the photo (while still in composition window), and you'll have option to resize by pixels.That's how I did the photos two posts above. 

If you still have problems, PM me, please.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
On 6/30/2017 at 7:27 AM, AX 365 said:

I deleted all my photos and closed my PB account last night.  Their latest antics have caused me to tell them to get stuffed.  I opened a Flickr account last year and have been practicing with all the ins and outs of that site and I like it more than PB.

have been on flickr for 5 years, and have no complaints