21 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I gave up on PB long ago because of their slow clunky unintuitive interface and the excessive amount of on-site advertising, so I personally didn't lose anything.  PB was dead to me a long time ago.

What I DID lose, and what really upsets me, is the impact it has had on this forum as a RESOURCE Center. Not being able to view all of those PB-linked images makes those threads virtually useless to me as a modeling resource. This to me is a Major impact to my hobby. 

There are a lot more serious issues in life that threaten to bring the world crashing down around me. PB isn't one of them. 

But they did piss me off in a Very Big Way......   :soapbox:

Need a "like" button.   Life will still go on but it still pisses me off. You take the time to post build logs, they aren't very useful sans pictures.   

Why the need for "third party pic" hosting these days anyway?

I'm no computer geek...but surely there must be a way to make posting pics to a forum as easy as it is to post pics onto Facebook.

Sites like Photobucket are seeing the end of days...in the meantime, I'm using Post Image.

1 minute ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Why the need for "third party pic" hosting these days anyway?

I'm no computer geek...but surely there must be a way to make posting pics to a forum as easy as it is to post pics onto Facebook.

Sites like Photobucket are seeing the end of days...in the meantime, I'm using Post Image.

We used to be able to upload directly until someone accidentally uploaded a photo with a virus in it . after that it had to be 3rd party.

Just now, Stephen said:

We used to be able to upload directly until someone accidentally uploaded a photo with a virus in it . after that it had to be 3rd party.

Yeah, I can see where that could be a problem.

I have just downloaded my 1000+ PB images back into my 'puter. As I have a $20.00 CDN paid account with PB, I'm going to leave it open until I have to renew next March. If PB doesn't change in that time, I shall delete my account then. Until that time I'll be using http://village.photos/ 

Chris

Here's what another forum is saying & recommending (sorry, it is long):

The following is an e-mail sent to you by an administrator of "Postage Stamp Chat Board & Stamp Bulletin Board Forum". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following address:

admin@stampboards.com

Include this full e-mail (particularly the headers).

Message sent to you follows:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*URGENT WARNING* if you use, or have ever used, photobucket on stampboards

Most stampboarders show their images via them being hosted on www.photobucket.com

They are huge.  Operating for 14 years, (once owned by News Corp) Photobucket hosts more than 15 **BILLION** images, from 100 million unique global registered members -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photobucket

This week photobucket pulled off the largest global Corporate Ransom Demand that anyone can remember.

With no email warning of any kind to users, BILLIONS of picture links on forums and Twitter, etc, were deliberately removed and broken, and replaced with a "Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting" Ransom Demand message. 

From zero a year cost, Photobucket now demands EACH user pays them

$US399.99 ($A525 pa!) in order for ANY of your images saved here for years to be displayed to others - anywhere.

This has caused global outrage of course, as 100 MILLION unique folks globally use them to display images on Bulletin Boards, blogs, websites, ebay, Craig’s list, and Twitter (photobucket were their official image

site!) and other social media etc.

Photobucket business was built on them boasting folks COULD load their images up and share them on such platforms securely, in quantity, and FREE.

This mad thought bubble was rolled out by a trained chip it appears, with no system whatever - region, country, continents, amount of images etc are not part of it - a total and unfathomable mess.

As there are other well established, totally free, or very low cost image hosting alternatives out there, it was the dumbest Corporate move since the "New Coke" fiasco!

There are legal and all kinds of Consumer Affairs actions and so on occurring in the USA of course, but for stampboards, in the here and now, it has caused an issue, as for a million other hobby and special interest boards.

We are advising 6 things –

1.  Despite them acting exactly like Ukrainian "WannaCry" Ransom Gangsters, instead of a huge American Corporation, do NOT delete your account in anger as I was first inclined to do.  Do not move around files or folders. It is possible someone in there might come to their senses this week, and backtrack on this on the global outrage cuts in. Their income now all comes from the barrage of annoying pop-up ads and videos on their site, and the advertisers will have pulled out in droves I am sure.  No-one legit company wants to be connected to Gangsters. 

2.  As we have urged for years, sign up NOW for a free www.IMGUR.com account, and add new images to there, and if you wish, save your important photobucket ones there.  Even if by chance your PB images still show NOW, they may well vanish tomorrow,  if they go bust in a month, kiss them goodbye.  So do that NOW.  Imgur is easy to use, totally free, and has been far better and more stable than photobucket for years anyway simple tutorial here  - www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53532

3.  Download a copy of all your images right now stored in photobucket.  As I type they ALL are downloadable even if the Ransom Clock icon shows on stampboards  - again easy and simple to do, and you can then access/replace them in future - www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=77822

4.  stampboards as always, is fast to act, and we have set up a place where those interested can swap over old images going back years if you wish - you can do it for your own favourite threads and you can access other member images too if you want, and help out - stampboards is a true COMMUNITY and Gangsters will not prevail over Team Spirit -

www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=77850 - if you have spare time to volunteer some time to assist let me know, and I'll arrange full access for you.

5.  Do not bother wasting energy emailing photobucket about it etc.  Their Facebook and Twitter accounts and their own blogs are overwhelmed with global screeching, most of which they are deleting as it is posted it seems, and they are ignoring the complaints of their 15 Million members, so use your time to transfer and safeguard your images instead.

6.  DO visit your account at www.photobucket.com and add SOMETHING to your account.  Just uploading many random image keeps your account "active".  It may be that photobucket deletes or closes accounts with no notice, they deem "inactive" to solve their storage issue costs, so keep one step ahead of them, by sidestepping that ASAP. 

= = = = = = =

We have looked in a MAJOR upgrade to a whole new platform for stampboards in mid-July.  This takes us to the very latest version phpBB platform, that I am told allows for the first time, on-site image storage when each post is made. That should sort the security and safety of FUTURE images posted,

but previous images are the issue right now.   Hence the advice above I

hope all member read, and act upon.

= = = = = = =

4 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Yes, but my world didn't come crashing down around me. I still have my job, my house is still standing and my kids are all fine. Losing pictures on internet forums is my absolute least concern. Some of you are just taking this way too personally.

Nothing like building a big straw man there, eh?  Here's the problem for a lot of people: a great deal of valuable information has been lost, probably permanently.  Want to see how someone did something with a kit you're building?  Too bad.  Photos are now gone.  Is the person likely to go and pay $400 a year so he/she can have his photos back?  Maybe not.  So that's it.  I've been looking at a lot of reviews, WIPs, and so on, and there's not a lot left.

May not mean much to you, but I expect it meant a lot to other people.

All members are expressing disgust. Fair enough. But lets find an alternative. We all build models and want to share here with fellow model builders. If not Photobucket then what other platform we have to share the pictures?

On 7/2/2017 at 3:38 PM, Stephen said:

We used to be able to upload directly until someone accidentally uploaded a photo with a virus in it 

I wasn't aware that it was "accidental", I thought it had been done intentionally. Of course, Steve B. is one of the few who could verify that.

The way some people are complaining, it appears that they STORED all their photos on Photobucket, and did not have them backed up somewhere else, like on their computer's hard drive, or memory cards, or CD-Rs/DVD-Rs. If that's the case, then losing your photos is as much your fault as it is Photobucket's IMHO.

I only had a few photos in my PB account, because I didn't post many on different forums, so I only had to delete a few, but I kept track of which ones were "hosted" so I could "re-post" them from my new Flickr & Postimage accounts.

Larry

1 hour ago, ReccePhreak said:

. If that's the case, then losing your photos is as much your fault as it is Photobucket's IMHO.

Again - photos were NOT lost on Photobucket -- it's ONLY the linking to those photos that are disabled!!!

Gene K

On 7/2/2017 at 3:56 PM, stalal said:

All members are expressing disgust. Fair enough. But lets find an alternative. We all build models and want to share here with fellow model builders. If not Photobucket then what other platform we have to share the pictures?

I'm tellin' ya, I decided to try Imgur.com this week, and now I'm wondering why I didn't leave PB years ago. SO much faster, so simple to use, even I figured it out in zero time flat. 

After that I deleted my PB account after emptying everything out. See ya PB! :wave:

34 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Again - photos were NOT lost on Photobucket -- it's ONLY the linking to those photos that are disabled!!!

Gene K

That's only been discussed in about 100 posts so far.   

I think most folks are pissed because the various works they put out on the interweb are now pretty much ruined.  

I had left PB years ago as i had a paid account and then let it lapse. Not too concerned since i did not have much stuff there anyway. I think I still have an account there but it must have reverted back to the free one (at least when it was free). I should go check in if I can remember my password. I still have all of my images since I have them on various hard drives as back up so nothing really lost.

You know I always wondered how these hosting companies stay in business. I guess they expect you to go to their site to see the ads? But to be honest I don't even see the ads anymore and I don't have an ad blocker. I guess your mind just blocks out the ads.

As others have said the biggest issue was the suddenness of the 3rd party block. Pretty bad to do it like that.

EDIT: Wow I just checked into my account and I have been a member since Feb 2006. Oh well all gone now, or in 48 hours. Deleted them all. Only have about 200 images on there anyway and I still have them on my hard drive.

Edited by skyhawk174
10 hours ago, nspreitler said:

I stopped using photobucket about a year ago, and switched to Imgur.  It's far easier to use and doesn't have a million ads on the page.  It sucks that all the previous links to photobucket pictures are gone though.  

But don't ya think this is just the beginning of ALL internet trying to 'monetize' their sites??  After all, it IS a business and there are cost involved in keeping the site up and running.

Seems we’re going to be ‘nickeled and dimed’ to death!!

Bo

1 hour ago, jabow said:

But don't ya think this is just the beginning of ALL internet trying to 'monetize' their sites??  After all, it IS a business and there are cost involved in keeping the site up and running.

Seems we’re going to be ‘nickeled and dimed’ to death!!

Bo

I think it is possible, although advertising can probably cover a large portion of the cost, which is how Photobucket (and virtually all other free hosting sites) made its income for a long time. However, even if one has to pay for the service, I think a $20 or $30 a year fee would be manageable. But $400 a year is ridiculous, and I think few of us would be willing to pay the equivalent of 10+ kits a year only to get your pictures to show up on a forum.

Pic_doctor_zpsyyofmpfe.jpg

I've had a Photobucket account since 2006 and posted over 1200 pics on the forums.
Despite not being close to my 2GB limit I got a paid "Pro" account in 2010 to support them.
They just lost my support!

I agree with the assessment that they are essentially holding our pictures hostage.
They had to know that this move would render many forums and blogs useless, there-by pissing off a good portion of the previous users as well as viewers that didn't use PB (who now never will!). Stupid move!

I think they should have allowed previously posted images to continue being hosted by 3rd parties and offered a reasonably priced plan ($25-40 per year) for new images.
If they were insistent on not allowing previous pics to be hosted they should have given advanced warning (1-3 months) so people could find alternatives if they chose not to pay.

$400??? Just ridiculous. I guess they only want to cater to big business. But then why would a big business even bother when they have so many cheaper, better alternatives or can just host their images on their own websites?

I really think they shot themselves in the foot with this move.

My "Pro" account is still showing the pictures I've linked and I am already paid through July next year (they don't offer refunds). Otherwise I would just cancel my account now.
I have downloaded all of my folders and will be posting them on my own website.
I'm not deleting my PB pics (but won't be adding more) in hopes that they come to their senses, reverse this decision and restore our pics.

:cheers:

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:54 PM, dogsbody said:

I have just downloaded my 1000+ PB images back into my 'puter. As I have a $20.00 CDN paid account with PB, I'm going to leave it open until I have to renew next March. If PB doesn't change in that time, I shall delete my account then. Until that time I'll be using http://village.photos/ 

Chris

There has been a change. I am now using Flickr.

Chris

I've started using post image and I've looked at a couple of others.

One thing I liked about Photobucket was that it had a logical url for your image, e.g. http//  phobucket.com/username/folder name/sub folder name/your image name. If you are like me and label your image title-01.jpg, image title-02.jpg etc , when doing a post with a lot of images you could simply past 1 url over and over and edit the last bit. The 3 alternatives I've looked all insert a random string of numbers somewhere in the url which means you can't do this. You have to copy/paste each post individual link . Whilsit this isn't a big deal, and certainily not worth $400 USD, PB's system was definitely better that regard.

I can't say I was ever bothered with speed/adds either as I only ever hot linked from there, and after all it was free.

Still to cut of the service with no warning is poor and a shame for all those old builds linked back over the various forums. I certainly won't be going back and fixing any of mine

Edited by a4s4eva

Quick question. I just signed up on Village Photos as I have read some positive reviews on it. Can anyone tell me how to copy and paste an img link to here? To where the pic shows up?

Let's see if this works.

Success! Pic is a little big. I need to try to figure out how to get it to automatically resize the image.

resized_baa0ce8f-8a04-4567-b152-7133e076

Edited by caudleryan
pic upload test.

Good morning lads...

I faced the same problem...accidentally i tried to open the image using...''right click - open image in a new tab'', i managed to see the connected image and when i tried to refresh the page of the forum, as a miracle the image appeard...dont know if it wiil continue to stay up!!!!

Try it to see if it works..

See here.....

John 

P.S. i only test it with Google chrome browser!!!

A fried of mine test it to see if he can see the images....NO...only with right click open image with new tab he is able to do it!

Edited by zaxos345