8 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Pics are intact on the site but I am now in the process of deleting them. Done. Over.

Please consider not deleting them just in case Photobucket comes to their senses, or is forced to, restore the links (it would only take Photobucket throwing a small switch). After grandfathering, they could charge whatever they wanted for new links ... from well financed users who haven't fled from this extortionist business.

Gene K

7 minutes ago, Gene K said:

just in case Photobucket comes to their senses,

The likelihood of them changing mind because few modellers around the world are not happy to pay is very unlikely. Even if they do so, what are the quarantines that they will not do this again one day?

Best regards

Gabor

Just now, ya-gabor said:

The likelihood of them changing mind because few modellers around the world are not happy to pay is very unlikely.

"Few modelers"?????  

Gabor,I think you are not appreciating that there are more folks than just "a few modelers" in this world using the Internet and linked files to host sites, write blogs, and make posts (to name just a few link uses).

Gene K

6 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

The likelihood of them changing mind because few modellers around the world are not happy to pay is very unlikely. Even if they do so, what are the quarantines that they will not do this again one day?

Best regards

Gabor

15 minutes ago, Gene K said:

Please consider not deleting them just in case Photobucket comes to their senses, or is forced to, restore the links (it would only take Photobucket throwing a small switch). After grandfathering, they could charge whatever they wanted for new links ... from well financed users who haven't fled from this extortionist business.

Gene K

hey, guys, those people just kidnapped our pictures from our forum.

i wouldn't mind if they would, stricken by some god's lightning, give our photos back for free.

sorry, gene, "there's no just in case": THEY'RE DEAD!

9 minutes ago, Bobo1953 said:

sorry, gene, "there's no just in case": THEY'RE DEAD!

I think you'll find that the pictures definitely are still on Photobucket site. It's the linking that Photobucket turned off. Pay the money, and  they'll turn your links back on (if you haven't removed your photos from Photobucket)

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
17 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Best regards

Gabor

Millions of blogs, websites and forums (of all types) have been impacted by this.   It's a bit more than just a few modelers whining (as we are always apt to do). 

8 minutes ago, Gene K said:

"Few modelers"?????  

Gabor,I think you are not appreciating that there are more folks than just "a few modelers" in this world using the Internet and linked files to host sites, write blogs, and make posts (to name just a few link uses).

Gene K

Sorry I should have put:

"few" modellers

I am perfectly aware of the use of host sites and how many people use it.

The point is that PB feel that they are an authority and can do whatever they want. There is close to ZERO the chance that they will change their mind! Why should they? They are running a business and fell that they should get money from the ones who are using the service. Here I have to put “service”.

OK they can charge money for a “service” from now on if they want to but the problem is when they backdate this all and the photos from the past decade go blank.

Best regards

Gabor

The other thing this unfortunately illustrates is the transient nature of the net.   I placed all my pics into PB because I assumed they would be safe (along with the third part links) and secure.   Now all of a sudden, I find out they are not.   My options are to pony up $400/year or find another hosting site.   The problem with that is there is no promise that even if you pay PB the money, they will be in business much longer.   However, who's to say the next hosting site I use will be any better in the long run?  5 years ago when I first started posting pics online, PB was the biggest and most stable site on the net.  Now look...

Same goes for websites as well.  They are just as temporary, especially in the modeling world were most are run by individuals.  Given the demographics of our hobby, it's a reality that many of the sites we frequent the most will probably be gone in a decade or so (along with many of us unfortunately), or the owners will just move on to other interests. 

So if you see some really unique pics out there, don't just assume you will always have unlimited access to them (as I did with the previously mentioned AH-6C Littlebird reference thread in the helo forum).  Right click and save.   Once on your hard drive, we all know they will be secure forever, right?

gabor, i do perfecly agree with you.

this is...look, i live in italy. in this sad country politicians are a corrupted cast of untouchables, and they can do whatever they want.

BUT even this èlite of thieves who made horrible things marching over the people's very rights -and common sense- , one thing that they -almost- never did was to apply, e.g., a new tax with retroactive effect!

ciao from a heavily shadowed sunny italy. bobo.

ah, almost forgot.

there is another advantage in using the google photo links: you don't have to go crazy to liliputify your pics in order to stay within the 100 kb arc limits...

ciao. bobo.

29 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

There is close to ZERO the chance that they will change their mind! Why should they? They are running a business  ...

WOW - I can't believe your acceptance of "business over the right thing".

Some "business" decisions/practices are so abhorrent that public or legal pressure demands and gets rescission. An example -- outrageous medical pricing for EpiPens and Martin Shkreli's AIDS drug.

11bee - great posts!

At any rate, I've drifted too far off topic, so take my leave.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Hey, this might not be so bad after all...after all the years of PB being one of the most unfriendly sites I've had to visit with frequency, I made the move to IMGUR this morning and WOW is it fast!!! Amazingly user friendly, and in a FRACTION of the time it took for me to do the same job with PB. 

This "get off your butt" thing may have made my life a touch easier now that I've actually been forced to do it! :) 

6 minutes ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Hey, this might not be so bad after all...after all the years of PB being one of the most unfriendly sites I've had to visit with frequency, I made the move to IMGUR this morning and WOW is it fast!!! Amazingly user friendly, and in a FRACTION of the time it took for me to do the same job with PB.  

Yeah, until at some point down the road, it no longer is....

I noted that Google has a photohosting site.   In the hope that they would consistently take the high road, anyone have experience or details on their product?

37 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Yeah, until at some point down the road, it no longer is....

I noted that Google has a photohosting site.   In the hope that they would consistently take the high road, anyone have experience or details on their product?

yeah! it's exactely the site i was suggesting in my some hours ago post.

google photo works, and rather well.

as already said, you can upload your pictures (copies, huh?) and create quite nice albums.

for each album you can  get a link, copy it and paste on your arc forum post.

i said it: it's not as immediate as having the pic right there and then, but among other advantages (it's free) there's the fact that you can make albums with a lot (50?) of pics and you don't have to resize crazily them to the fatal o.1 mb which is our forum's limit.

there is also a limit to the total space, but it must be  -can't recall right now- in the range of 40 gb. after that weight og images, you start to pay...but it's a reasonable amount.

anyway,i have made albums of each and everyone of my models and still have plenty of free space.

ciao...bobo.

The TOS at imgur frown upon third party hosting as well but I think it is all a matter of bandwidth.  I use imgur and link to pics there but my images are appropriately resized and not posted very frequently (and probably viewed even less) so I'm probably below their radar. 

Speaking of bandwidth, a prediction:

As most if not all flee PB they will land at other currently "free" hosting sites.  If those sites feel they are losing clicks (ad revenue) to third party links expect them to institute limits and/fees. Hopefully they won't be as drastic or bone-headed as PB when they do.....

We have seen the future and it is Capitalism.  Don't be fooled twice. 

16 minutes ago, habu2 said:

We have seen the future and it is Capitalism.  Don't be fooled twice. 

Well, to be fair, we're free to respond with the open market....I took my business (such as it is) to a far better alternative! That's the good side of capitalism (there are bad sides to anything abused, and clearly we have choices) :) 

(no flame war intended. I'll buy the next round Habu! :cheers: )

What PB has done is not Capitalism, it is down right theft in my book. I have no problem with people or companies making money, but what they are doing is just plain theft. If they were charging like 50.00 a year for 3rd party posting then I could understand. As far as them losing clicks I don't think so. Cause if you see a pic here or other places that is using PB and you want to see a larger pic you click on it and it takes you to their site so you can see it larger. That there is free advertising for their site right there. I got the next round after Andrew!!

But then again I'm old school!

Edited by tosouthern66
7 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

What PB has done is not Capitalism, it is down right theft in my book. 

Well (sips drink while passing the peanuts 'round the table) it would be theft if they actually took anything from me...they said what they WANTED me to pay, and I said "Nope, sod off," and took my business elsewhere.

Only loser here is PB; they lost ME!!! :taunt:

OK, I'm just as disappointed as everyone else for losing the ability to post photos to the forums from my PB account, but some of your overly dramatic posts about this are ridiculously comical.

Theft, kidnapping, extortion, "I'm going to sue", greed........freaking seriously!? You guys sound like a bunch of damn millennial kids that think everything in life should be handed to them! It was OK for all of you to use their service for FREE all these years, but now that they want and/or need to charge, you're ready to watch their business burn to the ground? While the amount is a bit much, did it ever occur to any of you that there are people behind photobucket and they need to support families? Did you not stop and think that maybe, just maybe, all of these years of offering a FREE service put the business in jeopardy of failing? Yes, the ads were annoying. However, it is possible the ads weren't generating the needed revenue to keep the business afloat. What's more, the actual ability to post your photos on sites like ARC for FREE may have directly impacted the loss of revenue by others not having to go to their site to view your photos.

As someone else mentioned, PB more than likely had hundreds of thousands of people using their FREE 3rd party hosting service. That in itself means there wasn't just one guy sitting in his garage taking care of the entire web site/business. There are more than likely hundreds of employees that need to be paid, utilities need to be paid, rent/mortgage, server costs and all of the other expenses that come with running a business as large as theirs.

I'll tell you what......go start a business and offer your services for free. After a month or so, come back and let us know how it's working out for you. Oh, and no one 'lost' anything. Everyone's photos are still in their photobucket account. The only thing that was lost was everyone else's ability to see them in forums like this.

11 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

The only thing that was lost was everyone else's ability to see them in forums like this.

And that's what hurts the most. 

I don't make money out of this. For me this is just a hobby and they retroactively ruined a rather large part of it. Surely the plastic is still on the shelf, but all the photos of the building process which many have found useful (as have I too) are now gone. 

Surely business is business, but the way they executed the change was just unprofessional. They didn't even give any warning in advance. 

By they way, the ads were never a problem for me as annoying as they were.

Edited by janman

Dave, I agree that some of the comments are a bit over the top, and of course any business is free to do whatever they want, but I certainly don't feel that the level of the changes made were reasonable. 

No one put a gun to the heads of the people running Photobucket and forced them to offer the free hosting - they decided that could be a good business model and started their site based on that all on their own.  If it didn't work out, it's certainly not anyone's fault but their own, and to suddenly change it on everyone with such a significant increase in cost, especially for those that had already paid for a certain level of service, does seem a bit extreme based on what they previously offered.  Now, people who had posted photos in the past will no longer have those posted photos appear and will have to re-link them in every post they've made, or pay a fee that by any measure is unreasonable for what you get.