The display case...eh (sorry..had to do it!!!)

• 2 weeks later...

1/72 scale Hobby Craft Caribou. Very simple kit but one of Hobby-Crafts better kits. The decals are top notch. Landing gear is awful, but thats about it for criticism.

1lXJlCa.jpg

yCYkJtR.jpg

Edited by phantom

Here are the last three of my builds. Hoping to maybe fit a CRJ in before the end of the build..we will see.

1/48 Kinetic Tracker. Full complete album can be found HERE

001.jpg

1/48 Grand Phoenix Firefly. The full complete album can be found HERE

001.jpg

1/48 Hobbycraft Sea Fury. Full completed album can be seen HERE

001.jpg

Thansk for looking,

Sean

For display only.  I didn't really build this as part of this GB.  48th scale Revell of Germany CL-13B Sabre.  Model Master and Alclad II paints with mostly Leading Edge Model decals.

24690727538_4d84a1d633_c.jpg

38563055661_b46e268770_c.jpg

38563057231_8dd9c08b11_c.jpg

Hi guys....I've been absent for a while.  However, I have still been building.  I started this kit back in August (ish) and finished it recently.  It's my Kinetic CF-188A Hornet.  Overall, this kit isn't that bad, but it has its weak spots.  It doesn't blow Hasegawa's kit out of the water, but it does have a slight edge, in my opinion.

Anyhow, every Hornet I have built to date has either been a demo bird or one with some sort of artwork on the tails.  I had never built a line bird for myself.  So, I decided to change that.  I built my Hornet as 188757.  I saw this jet in Cold Lake, back in 2016, during Maple Flag.  At that time, it was assigned to 401 "Rams" TFS.  Currently, there are no decals for the Rams squadron insignia......until now.  I've been working with making some of my own decals (mostly small stuff like pilot names).  I decided to take a crack at making the Ram head on the tails.  I used a photo, put it into Photoshop and shrunk it down to the correct size (don't ask me about rations, etc.  I just made adjustments until I had it right).  One other thing was the new BLOS mod on the spine.  The kit does not include this part, but it provides a decal.  Using that as a pattern, I made a master out of sheet styrene, made a mold and cast a few in resin.  For my purposes, it came out pretty well.

Model was painted with Model Master acrylics, a pin wash was added and some fluid streaking was done with pastels.  I decided to add a bit of colour to the jet, so I made a seat cover using Tamiya masking tape.  It was painted red, then a Remove Before Flight decal (I made it) was applied.  A The Major resin fat pylon was added to Station 8 and for something a little different, I painted up one of the kits GBU-38s as an inert practice bomb.  Finally, since it had the option, I left the refuelling probe extended, as they usually are after a jet completes and air-to-air refuelling, during a mission.

All in all, not a bad kit.  A few headaches were the intake trunks, windscreen/glare shield/HUD fit and the nose section fit.  The instructions from Kinetic still leave a bit to be desired though.  One has to be really careful and heavily rely on their references to get things correct.

Anyhow, onto the photos.  Sorry they are so crappy, but I just don't have a great set up and the lighting isn't that great.IMG_0015.jpgIMG_0020.jpgIMG_0026.jpgIMG_0028.jpgIMG_0029.jpg

I'll just post these for display as I'm not sure if these were started before or after July 1st.  Anyhow, I ended up building six Snowbird Tutors for some of the pilots on the team.  They were all presented at the 2017 year end show, by their spouses.  Needless to say, they were well received.  They are all 1/48 Hobbycraft kits with a few resin bits (antennas, etc).  Decals are a mix of Belcher and homemade decals (pilot and tech names, logos on tails, tail numbers and RCAF/ARC titles on the underside of the wings).  They were all mounted on bases using acrylic rod.  The Snowbird logos are actually keychains that I bought from the Canex in Moose Jaw.

crank_model_IMG_0011.jpg

Snowbird 1, flown by 2016 Team Lead, Major Yanick "Crank" Gregoire....and yes, tank cam is included with the jet!

fomo_model_IMG_0018.jpg

Snowbird 8, the Opposing Solo, Captain Greg "FOMO" Humme-Powell.  He also flew as Snowbird 6 in 2016.  The tail is made out of resin and was made using the impression of the kit tail.

nacho_model_IMG_0016.jpg

Snowbird 9, Lead Solo, Major Craig "Nacho" Sharp.

match_model_IMG_0009.jpg

Snowbird 7, Captain Maciej "Match" Hatta.  Match is the guy responsible for all of the Snowbird video footage from tank cam, over the past couple of years.  He wanted a jet, sitting on the ground, ready to go.  Match also flew as Snowbird 6 in 2015 and Snowbird 3 in 2016.  Should be noted that the speedbrakes are made from scratch and the ejection seats are resin.

naughty_model_IMG_0023.jpg

This was the fun one.  Snowbird 10, Captain Blake "Naughty" McNaughton, threw down the challenge of capturing the entire advance party (Snowbird 10 and 11), with sausage bags on the seats, with smoke on, performing the Snowbird pitch.  Oh, and the spacing and formation references had to be correct!  No problem!  In any case, here it is.  The bags on top of the seat were made with Tamiya 2 part molding putty and painted to look like the real bags.  The smoke is simply piano wire with cotton batting on it.  The cotton was then dipped in diluted white glue and left to dry.  I am also happy to note that the formation spacing and reference points were bang on, according to Naughty.

So, there is my Snowbird project.  I actually owe a few guys thanks for giving up their Belcher decal sheets for the cause.  My original plan was to get decals through Canmilair, but with Bill's knee surgery, that changed and I was stuck for decals.  Luckily, a few guys answered the call!

Edited by Colin K

Nice work on the Hornet, Colin.  I forgot about the little "L" braces for the inside of the vertical stabs.  Oh well.  I also had a bit of difficulty with the minimal mating areas of the landing gear door tab and slots.  As you probably did, I learned many tricks and hints on what to do for my next Kinetic Hornet build.  Great work on the Tutors as well.

10 hours ago, AX 365 said:

Nice work on the Hornet, Colin.  I forgot about the little "L" braces for the inside of the vertical stabs.  Oh well.  I also had a bit of difficulty with the minimal mating areas of the landing gear door tab and slots.  As you probably did, I learned many tricks and hints on what to do for my next Kinetic Hornet build.  Great work on the Tutors as well.

Well, Kinetic forgot to mention the brackets in their instructions as well.  The gear doors didn't really give me any problems at all.  I love them compared to the doors on the Hasegawa kit.

Here is my Big Planes Kits Bombardier Challenger 604 in 1/72. It represents an aircraft that lives in a hangar at Montreal's Trudeau Airport, at Skyservice. At the time, it was registered in the USA, with tail number N604DD. That way, when we checked in on Centre frequencies, initial contact would be: "Chicago Centre, this is Challenger 6-Oh-4 Delta Delta". I flew this particular jet for almost 200 hours over a 2-year time span, as I instructed in the simulator for Bombardier in my spare time (actually, instructing was my normal job at the time).

I used custom decals for the blue stripes and the tail number. This aircraft now has been rebranded as a Canadian-registered aircraft, and still remained in Montreal as far as I know. We used it a lot to shuttle engineers and managers between the Bombardier main plant in Montreal/Trudeau, and Learjet (a Bombardier subsidiary) in Wichita, Kansas. It was configured with 19 seats in the back, like a little mini RJ.

Y0jkeJu.jpg

Zrez6Zk.jpg

14e8UaW.jpg

BGS0dxR.jpg

ALF

To echo, there are some really nice builds here folks.  Take a bow.

Here' my completed Hornet. 1/48th scale Kinetic CF-18 using kit decals, MM and Alclad II paints.

24811380888_4ec29da0b4_c.jpg

24811376148_61fe53a2eb_c.jpg

24811379538_260293e4c8_c.jpg

26907991459_b9c029d838_c.jpg

26907995089_d2586f67e6_c.jpg

38651790242_8063042090_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A Heller CL-215 in 1/72 with Leading Edge decals.

hoSwRp8.jpg

And a Heller CL-415 also in 1/72 with Leading Edge decals.

2r4dC3J.jpg

x65AtQv.jpg

A new photo added, with newly painted engine.

3Gsc9jW.jpg

Edited by phantom
  • 2 weeks later...

My second of the same plane. Learned from the mistakes on my first Kenetic Hornet. THIS one turned out better. Which is good as it was built for someone else.

XGCb0k9.jpg

K0ka2NJ.jpg

And a shot with the one I finished a couple months ago.

Vnz6vhe.jpg

2 hours ago, phantom said:

My second of the same plane. Learned from the mistakes on my first Kenetic Hornet

I must say I've thought more than once about building 2 of the same kits, the 1st to learn what not to do and 2nd to get right...