1/48 Hasegawa A-4F VA-93

Here are the final pics of my latest build. I built this model for a friend of mine. The Skyhawk is his favorite jet! 

It's the very nice Hasegawa kit (Revell Blue Angels boxing).  Mostly Tamiya acrylics. The gull gray is a mix of XF-19, XF-20, and white, with some post shading using MM Acryl Gloss Gull Gray. For weathering, I used airbrush painting, oil washes, AK interactive enamel washes, Tamiya weathering sets and some minor hair spray chipping at the radome tip. I was shooting for a semi-gloss finish. The original matte coat (Vallejo Matte) was too flat, so I applied a very thinned coat of Tamiya X-20 to bring some of the sheen back. As you may see from the WIP pics, the tail flash decal is mostly fictitious. I experimented with a little bit of weathering, but probably could have been heavier. I used a single snakeye just for some asymmetry. I am grateful for all the information and pictures many fellow ARCers provided during the build, it makes the whole hobby that much more enjoyable. Thank you!

The pictures are taken with my iPhone 6 on an tripod with a 3sec timer and HDR enabled. It is a major improvement over my past Canon A620! But still the lighting and post processing could be better. As always, critiques and suggestions are most welcomed.  

WIP thread

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3912.JPG

IMG_3870.JPG

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3930.JPG

IMG_3952.JPG

Edited by Janissary

The deck is from Mike's super useful post: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/171755-printable-modern-aircraft-carrier-deck-section/&do=findComment&comment=2863286IMG_4182.JPG

IMG_4191.JPG

Tom originally posted the following image:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/297080-148-hasegawa-a-4f-va-93/&do=findComment&comment=2844893

So the pic after that is not the exact same angle, but I liked Tom's pic so much I had to give it a try:

o_nf302L1.jpg

IMG_4215.JPG

Edited by Janissary

For those who are timid about going overboard with airbrush shading (including myself); all the layers that come after the base colors tend to suppress the effect. So it is probably better to have an exaggerated effect early on. Here I thought it was too much:

IMG_3152.JPG

Only to see it transform into a mostly monochromatic result:

IMG_4112.JPG

I wish there was more of a contrast in the final result!

Admiring this beaquitifull Scooter but I need a bit of help understanding the last painting step . " so I applied a very thinned coat of Tamiya X-20 to bring some of the sheen back. "

The enamel thinner X-20  brought back the shine or is that a type o ?

Regards, Christian 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2017 at 2:59 AM, Mr B said:

Lovely scooter

alwayss a treat to see one

On 7/10/2017 at 6:13 AM, Aigore said:

Fabbulous scooter :D

On 7/13/2017 at 5:44 PM, Chris L said:

Admiring this beaquitifull Scooter but I need a bit of help understanding the last painting step . " so I applied a very thinned coat of Tamiya X-20 to bring some of the sheen back. "

The enamel thinner X-20  brought back the shine or is that a type o ?

Regards, Christian 

Thank you all so very much, I appreciate it. I have been away for a while, so just getting back. 

Chris, sorry I meant Tamiya X-22, clear gloss. I think you also had a question about epoxy putties. To strengten a seam from the back side, pretty much any would do. I have Tamiya two-part epoxy, Milliput extra fine (white stuff), and Apoxie two-part. All three would be just fine. If you are filling a big seam from a visible side, I strongly recommend Apoxie. Cleans very well with a q-tip dampened with water and swept across the seam. Hope this helps. 

Edited by Janissary
  • 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:25 AM, Janissary said:

For those who are timid about going overboard with airbrush shading (including myself); all the layers that come after the base colors tend to suppress the effect. So it is probably better to have an exaggerated effect early on. Here I thought it was too much:

IMG_3152.JPG

Only to see it transform into a mostly monochromatic result:

IMG_4112.JPG

I wish there was more of a contrast in the final result!

That is a beautiful finish.
I will try to keep your advice in mind.
Thanks for sharing!

On 9/9/2017 at 10:04 AM, CaptainObvious said:

That is a beautiful finish.
I will try to keep your advice in mind.
Thanks for sharing!

On 9/9/2017 at 11:53 AM, my favs are F`s said:

Definitely one of the coolest scooters! I like that subtle weathering!

Thank you so much!

• 1 year later...

Thank you very much all! In hindsight, i wish i was much more aggressive and creative with weathering. After taking too long with rescribing and assembly, i always get ultra skittish with the fear of screwing things up. I’ve got to get over that fear. I envy those who do. Hope to try a few things with my Tamiya Tomcat.