PHOTOBUCKET? What do you all use?

I understand from the General Discussion page here on ARC that Photobucket is charging $400 USD ( about $600 CDN ) to post here, or on any other 3rd party site.

Some of the posters here on ARC have said their pix on these fora are already gone ... I see some of mine are still here on ARC but I'll take another peek.

What do you or will you guys use to post your pix?

Pete

I am using my personal web site for image hosting, and imgur.com as a backup if these images on my web space are not working for some reason.

However, Imgur.com does not like 3rd party hosting, either.

Taken from the Imgur Terms of Service:

Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com.

BTW. Why is this thread posted in Real Space modeling?

Edited by Lancer512

I recently signed up with Flickr which is much easier to use than Photobucket.  Now a days a lot of the photo sharing sites are charging.  

$400 for 1 year is insane.  It's a shame because I have a build thread here that has pictures that span a 2 year time and none are showing.  I don't think I'll be replacing the pictures using another photo sharing site.  There are just too many pictures.

Edited by crowe-t

Your photos are still on Photobucket, you just can't share them to 3rd party sites now without paying the ransomware payment. It took a couple days before I got the email and my 3rd party sharing stopped.

I have just downloaded all my images (over 4800 of them) and deleted them from PB and requested my account be deleted.

I have changed over to Flickr. It will take a while to reload those images, something I will do over time as I attempt to update my build and display threads here and elsewhere.

F Photobucket they can go to H-E-double-hockey sticks! Am I supposed to go back through all of my threads and re-link my posted images to a Flickr or some other account now? I sure as heck ain't giving them $400. I hope they crash and burn over this. I was sick of them anyway, their site had become so script-heavy and ad-intrusive.

I've made my comments in other threads so I won't repeat here.

I will say two things though:

1.  imgur

and 

2.   I have updated my sig....   :)

I have always used Flickr simply because it was the first photo sharing I came across.... so serendipity....

Am have trouble though posting larger pics since ARC rebuilt this website. When I drag and drop I keep coming up with a dialog box saying : 'your are only allowed 102.4 KB'.

Can anyone help on this ?

Thanks

johnB

2 hours ago, johnbuck said:

I have always used Flickr simply because it was the first photo sharing I came across.... so serendipity....

Am have trouble though posting larger pics since ARC rebuilt this website. When I drag and drop I keep coming up with a dialog box saying : 'your are only allowed 102.4 KB'.

Can anyone help on this ?

Thanks

johnB

Click "insert other media" and select "insert image from URL." You can copy the URL for your image from there. It means you have to have them hosted someplace else, but it means you can add images bigger than a postage stamp.

Vern

I have used Fotki for  almost12 years. The price is very reasonable.

https://secure.fotki.com/payment/view/

Different pricing tiers, but even the lowest one should be enough for most of our needs, it is 100 gb of storage

I am just tired of seeing that stupid photobucket error image.

(no financial interest in fotki, I just want to share what works for me)

Or maybe, if you want to roll your own and never be beholden to a company to keep your pictures safe, you can set up a server at a hosting company, or a cloud server instance and try something like this:

https://lychee.electerious.com/

Thanx for all the great information lads ... I'm not gonna update any pix in all my threads ... I'll just let 'em go. But I won't delete my PB accounts just yet ... thinking that they may reduce the fees in the near future. I'll give them a couple months and I'll see.

PB is just there to make my pix available to post on modelling websites ... all my images are on my Macs. Meantime, I'll look into fotki and Flickr.

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:37 PM, dogsbody said:

I've started using this one: http://village.photos/  .  You may have to resize the images to fit the forum pages. It doesn't automatically resize them like PB does.

Chris

I have now gone over to Flickr. It's easier to size the images for different forum standards.

Chris

Hi folks,

I have just been over on to the link for the Moonlander build by TJP  ( link in my first post).

I was only checking them last night at about 9pm.  now all the pics are gone with note.  

'please update your account to enable third party hosting' and a link thus :

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/200724444-Plus-Subscription-Pricing-Info 

Hope this helps some of you guys....

Manfred postings are still complete thank goodness.

Vern, your instructions worked a treat and I did post my thanks on my Moonlander post but in case you missed it........thanks again.  It was much appreciated.

Cheers

johnB

Edited by johnbuck

I use Photobucket, but I recently upgraded it to where I no longer get advertisements, and uploading is much quicker. I'm not paying $400 dollars, yet my images are still up, and I haven't heard a word from them asking for more $$$$.

Tracy

3 hours ago, Vidar_710 said:

I use Photobucket, but I recently upgraded it to where I no longer get advertisements, and uploading is much quicker. I'm not paying $400 dollars, yet my images are still up, and I haven't heard a word from them asking for more $$$$.

Tracy

Me too, and my PB images are still OK, but when that runs out next year, we may have to kick in the ransom.

Chris

• 2 months later...
On 9.7.2017 at 7:14 PM, johnbuck said:

Hi folks,

I have just been over on to the link for the Moonlander build by TJP  ( link in my first post).

I was only checking them last night at about 9pm.  now all the pics are gone with note.  

'please update your account to enable third party hosting' and a link thus :

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/200724444-Plus-Subscription-Pricing-Info 

Hope this helps some of you guys....

Manfred postings are still complete thank goodness.

Vern, your instructions worked a treat and I did post my thanks on my Moonlander post but in case you missed it........thanks again.  It was much appreciated.

Cheers

johnB

Hi guys,

I fully agree with you that you are rightly frustrated. :analintruder:

I use ImageShack and pay $37,99 a year, what I would recommend to you all.  top.gif