Kinetic CF-18 Hornet - DONE! - New Photos - 27 Nov

Next we move onto the HUD.  Clear pieces are nice and thin but there are no supports on the PE to hold the clear parts in place.  I used clear parts cement and a pressure clamp to keep things in place while they dried.  I roughed up the surface of the PE part to allow the paint to adhere better.  The part installed onto the IP coaming quite nicely.

35770724914_2c404d6e2b_z.jpg

The rudders are separate from the vertical stabilizers.  I glued them in showing a neutral position.  There are also two PE stiffeners.  One for the outside port and one for the inside starboard.  A web reference photo showed me where they should be positioned.

35770720484_ed5172d4d6_z.jpg

Next, the canopy and windscreen.  The fit of the main canopy is very good.  The fit of the front windscreen; insert MANY of your favourite curse words here.  I'll have to break out the Dremel to remove some excess plastic on this.

35770733464_93d982ffd4_z.jpg

36468004141_7169a45221_z.jpg

35796673333_22e3e6ed4d_z.jpg

36468005771_cfb78b0e60_z.jpg

Thanks for looking folks.  As usual, comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Well...it's time for another update on this saga, I suppose.  With the number of difficulties I have faced with this build, I had a severe case of "Feck it!"  syndrome.  Up until a few days ago, I hadn't touched this kit since my last update.  To those who have provided encouragement, thanks very much.

I have managed to get the windscreen and canopy on - which was no simple feat.  There were a few self-induced foul ups and a couple of kit design foul ups.  I worked the front windscreen and got it to a point where I liked the fit at the front.  Unfortunately, due to fit issues, I pulled out the HUD and tossed it.  It was bending out of shape while getting the windscreen part to sit flush on the fuselage.  Then, to top it off, while using TETC to glue the windscreen in place, the cement bled onto the IP coaming.  The resulting cement on the inside of the windscreen caused MANY swear words to be uttered.  Truth be told, I almost threw this thing in the trash.  Thankfully, cooler heads prevailed.  So I screwed up?  Who gives a flying fig?  With this kit, not me anymore!  The canopy was glued onto the frame and then onto the model in the closed position.  It looks ugly but the ugliness will be covered by paint so I'm not concerned about that.

37521831482_5b9a8dca62_c.jpg

The main gear were a bit of a pain.  A nice feature is the separate part for CF-18 main gear legs.  They're different from regular F-18's.  The assembly sequence is unclear and after dryfitting and studying the diagrams, I went with this sequence:  O 1 with H 11 glued in place first and then H 26.  If you look at the instructions, you see a small nub on parts H 26 and H 22.  To fit onto the CF-18 main gear strut, these little nubs must be cut off and the surface sanded flush to allow the part to fit properly.  I then held the gear leg in place in the wheel well and glued H 21 onto the gear leg at the proper angle so the parts would ft properly, instead of bowing, when the glue was dry.  As you can see, Kinetic mislabeled part numbers.  It will happen again later.

37521827432_40e8b0ba8b_c.jpg

37521829342_36fd78e33d_c.jpg

37521830432_4358ccd036_c.jpg

I've decided that I'm going to attach some stores to the underside on this build.  AIM-9's on stations 1 and 9.  GBU-12's on stations 2 and 8.  Fuel tanks on stations, 3, 5 and 7.  SNIPER XR pod on station 4.  Station 6 will be empty.  When building the SNIPER pod, the front parts need to be assembled first.  The head is designed to swivel.  I decide that it will be stationary.  As you can see, again, one of the clear plastic parts is mislabeled.  Surface detail on the ordnance and pylons is nice.  Some clean up still to be done.  Another nice feature of this kit is that sway braces can be attached to the ordnance / gas tanks before painting.  There are then good sized lugs that will fit into holes in the bottom of the pylon or into the fuselage.  Nice idea.  It should make for securely attached stores.

37521818802_4466d0c64d_c.jpg

37521823442_c2c500d46a_c.jpg

37521822622_b31e8e915f_c.jpg

37521824262_98448ff6c1_c.jpg

37521821802_b26ae5beff_c.jpg

37521819752_77f9ef2f03_c.jpg

37521820892_5ab6688221_c.jpg

PE parts nicely recreate vents on the top of the port side fuselage and chaff dispensers underneath.

37296207510_fe09b1dd55_c.jpg

37296208970_659aca150b_c.jpg

Thanks for looking and as usual, comments and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Mike

Edited by AX 365
  • 4 weeks later...

Progress is slow but sure.

No photos for this update but the paining is almost done.  Masked the canopy and windscreen with Tamiya tape and sealed it with liquid mask.  Masked off painted exhaust nozzles and white intakes.  All Model Master Enamels except for a few small things; exhaust and gun ports.  Primed with Light Grey (36495).  There are a few seams but as stated previously, at this point, construction is good enough for this experiment.  Undersides, pylons, SNIPER pod and fuel tanks painted with 36375 and upper sides with 35237.  I free-handed the demarcation lines on the back end and the vertical stabilizers and I think I did p a pretty good job, if I do say so myself.  Wheel wells, inner gear doors and AIM-9's are Insignia White.  GBU-12's are olive drab.  The only thing left to paint are the walkways and the false canopy.  There are decals for the false canopy but painting it will be easier, I think.  It was for my previous Hornet builds.

I'm going to try my hand at weathering on this build.  Once the painting is done and dried, I'll spray MM Glosscote Lacquer.  Once decals are applied, it will be MM Dullcote Lacquer.  Finally a panel wash and artist's oil streaking and staining will be applied.  I'll post a couple of photos once the painting is complete.  Hopefully within the next couple of days.

Mike

Painting is pretty well done.  I think the only thing left to do is the heads on the GBU-12's and AIM-9's.  The head of the GBU-12 appears to be a mix of silver and gold while I've read from different sources that the heads on the AIM-9's are steel tinted with olive drab.  The paint callouts suggest flat black.  Not right in my opinion.  As noted previously, I like how the vertical stabs turned out (freehand airbrushing).

24243294548_7e78099785_c.jpg

The false canopy and walkways were masked and sprayed with MM 36118.  The dark bit around the radome is part of a mask.

26319139789_16cce88bb6_c.jpg

37386693614_f0990565df_c.jpg

Thanks for looking and as usual, feeedback and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mike

Thanks to my friend ALF, the AIM-9's are now painted grey.  He informed me that the AIM-9 missiles carried by CF-18's are the same colour as the undersides of the aircraft.  Further, most of the MM gloss coat lacquer has been sprayed.  Another top coat and it will be time for adding stickies, as The Boss calls them.

On 11/2/2017 at 6:10 PM, Emvar said:

Looks great......

E

Thanks pal.

Gloss coats applied.  Decaling started.  I'm doing it up as '747' from 409 Squadron.  So far, so good.  Decals are printed by Cartograf.  Very nice.

Now for the not so good part.  Kinetic / Cartograf didn't supply enough #71 decals, the little footprints with the X through them, for the entire topside of the model.  They're short 16 of them according to the decal placement guide.  I've applied them to the starboard top and a couple of others on the port side but there aren't enough for the top of the port wing and horizontal stabilizer.  I have a few Leading Edge CF-18 sets but I'm not about to break those open to finish this model.  I also have a set of Hasegawa CF-18 decals but the colour of the footprints is all wrong.

34793182304_bc0661aa41_c.jpg

I'm going to send a note to Raymond Chung to see if I can get two more sets of decals as I have another of these kits in my stash.  I'll let you know how I fare.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

03 January 2018 - in today's mail, I got a package from Kinetic Models and it included two complete decal sheets for this kit and another one I have in the stash.  Excellent response and customer service from Raymond Chung and Kinetic Models.

Edited by AX 365
4 hours ago, Emvar said:

That sucks....... send me your addy and I'll send you all the foot prints from my kit. 

Really?  Thanks pal.  I really appreciate the help.  PM on the way.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Thadeus.  Just waiting for the foot print decals so I can finish this up.  No rush.  I can always put everything together and add the decals when they get here.

4 hours ago, Emvar said:

On their way bro.... Cheers.

Thank you, my good man!  Putting things together so I can finish it up when the decals arrive.  Another sore point in the assembly is the minimal amount of glue and mating surfaces for the landing gear doors.  A couple of muffled curse words but slow and steady wins the race.

Mike

Thanks to Emvar, I've placed the missing footprints on the model and I'm calling it done.  I said I was going to weather it but I lied.  Maybe next time.  As alluded to, this kit wasn't without its vices but there were some nice things about construction as well.  I have a second one to build and I'll take the lessons learned with this one and apply them to that one.  Here's my CF-188A, s/n 188747, assigned to 409 'Nighthawk' Squadron, RCAF.

24811380888_4ec29da0b4_c.jpg

26907992479_485f3b53ff_c.jpg

24811378868_f8942810cb_c.jpg

26907991459_b9c029d838_c.jpg

38651790242_8063042090_c.jpg

24811375528_26f81a67d8_c.jpg

It'll never win any prizes and that's okay.  It makes a nice addition to my Hornet display.

To those who popped by and offered comments and constructive criticism, thanks very much.

Mike