Hi Everyone.

I was please to be in receipt of the new SWS 1/48 F-4S kit from Zoukei-Mura.   As the second kit in their new series of 1/48 F-4 Phantoms, It follows the fantastic F-4J kit in offering details never offered to the Phantom lover in any scale for a slat wing Model.   I am building this for the coming US IPMS NATS so this will be a quick build in terms of posting time, as I am working on it 8-10 hours a day on most days.   In addition to the kit, I will be using HWG Seat belts,  Master Model Metal AOA and Pitot set, GT Resin Exhaust nozzles, with a few added scratch details thrown in.

A couple of general notes about the build.   First, in providing the details there are some fragile parts where extra care needs to be taken removing them from the sprue.  Second, the fit of the parts is exact, so care must be taken to completely remove sprue attachment points, and and occasional flash when assembling the parts to assure that everything fits as it is designed to fit.

Here is the kit:

IMG_3940_zpshtjhzd6n.jpg

IMG_3942_zpsbb8ufqjk.jpg

IMG_3943_zpswb1qhk3z.jpg

IMG_3944_zpsurke5uoe.jpg

IMG_3945_zps9z0yahee.jpg

IMG_3948_zpsuflrbbet.jpg

IMG_3949_zpspg34qbs6.jpg

IMG_3950_zpsrxxnucwu.jpg

IMG_3953_zpsosjnqape.jpg

IMG_3954_zpsrsqdgz8a.jpg

IMG_3955_zpsoweptqxd.jpg

IMG_3956_zpsagaojhma.jpg

IMG_3958_zpsy2cdegph.jpg

IMG_3960_zpsdzfvj8wa.jpg

IMG_3962_zpszmzxlvxf.jpg

Stay Tuned!

The first thing I did was to review the large instruction manual.  Becoming familiar with the construction makes the project much more enjoyable as most of us deviate from the manual's build sequence some time during the build.  Usually this is done to make painting and finishing easier.  I build in sub assemblies which I hope are not a source of confusion.  IF so just fire away with a question.

I started first with the main wing.   These are completely different parts form the J kit, and are very detailed, including the Belly strap and strengthening plates as shown below:

IMG_3967_zps1uwv259m.jpg

IMG_3969_zpspzfhakpz.jpg

IMG_3970_zpsy6awpcf3.jpg

IMG_3971_zpsmsakv17y.jpg

IMG_3973_zpscrsygcaa.jpg

IMG_3974_zpsjshcqppr.jpg

IMPORTANT!!!!  Zm left it up to the builder to open the holes in the bottom wing for the Inner and outer wing pylons, and the ECM nodes, and the Center Line tank.   I chose not to use the wing tanks so I did not open those holes.

IMG_3975_zpsdn5yofbd.jpg

This update will be the basic cockpit tub construction.  I am building enough of the pit to be able to install it it not he fuselage and close it up.  The seats, Panels, and any other details that can be added at final assembly are left for later.  One important note is to assemble the tub/wheel well assembly exactly as possible.   The tolerances are very tight with respect to the tub and its fit with in the fuselage.  If you don't pay attention as some builders found out with their F-4J build, the tub ends up to wide for the fuselage.  IN those cases the builders trimmed the side panels to make the tub fit.  IF the tub is assembled with all of the flash and the flare removed and the edges sanded lightly, then the tub fits perfectly.   Check your fit, in fact ZM makes a special note in the instructions about this exact issue.

The basic tub assembled with the seat rails installed

IMG_3976_zpsifoyarnj.jpg

The nose wheel well

IMG_3977_zpsyx82qjqp.jpg

Some painted Cockpit pictures.  I use a variety of paint types and brands in my builds.  I am very partial to lacquers as primers and protectant coats.   The trick for me is to thin it to keep the layers very thin,   I used MIG's USN Cockpit paint set for the gray and the detail washes.  I then spray the pit with clear lacquer to seal it and then infall the side panels and other parts.  I find if I seal acrylics and enamels with the clear lacquer to protect the work, it makes the build go quicker and keeps me from making costly mistakes!  The black panels are Acrylics, which allow me to then gently remove the paint from the details on the instrument panels.

IMG_3978_zpsaqx1ydmv.jpg

IMG_3979_zpspeowshlg.jpg

IMG_3980_zpsfx0pdliu.jpg

IMG_3982_zpsz9hyikva.jpg

Next up is to close up the Fuselage.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:55 AM, picknpluck said:

Great start! I hope this kit gets Geoff over at Furball to F-4release his "Low-Viz Rhinos" sheet.

Thx for the kind words.  I hope so to as I am using the old Microscope decals for this build in combination with the Kit decals for the stencils.   Doing the VF-301 MIg Killer in the Ferris scheme.   Between the early Hi viz markings, the std low viz and the Ferris there should be plenty of selections to fallout a set for Geoff.   I also put a word in Jake's ear w/ Speed Hunter, let's see what happened.

One guy I want to compliment is Dave Roof for an excellent job on designing the F-4J  UK decal set for ZM.   I don't know if he did the "S" also, but they are accurate and fit perfectly.  Great Job Dave!

Edited by ghatherly

Here are some excerpts from the 32 page Instruction manual that I thought should be highlighted.

First is the note I mentioned above about getting the tub together correctly so that the Fuselage closes as designed.

IMG_4124_zpsqvnikcio.jpg

The other is the option to build the model in a takeoff configuration.  Zoukei-Mura even has a base to offer with the catapult track, and cables so that the modeler can build the "S" in a take off configuration.   Or perhaps use the parts on a J kit????    You though need pilots.  ZM did include all the parts for the extended nose strut, fuselage insets to place the elevator in the launch position, and a diagram for dropping the Ailerons and flaps.

IMG_4129_zpsniezsbas.jpg

IMG_4127_zpsucf44oah.jpg

IMG_4128_zpsmkhiro9r.jpg

c64c7d92-07ac-4869-aeea-4e3db405f08e_zps

Edited by ghatherly

Update time:

First is the test fitting of the fuselage around the cockpit:

IMG_3990_zps2dhilxgg.jpg

IMG_3991_zpsa7chwl88.jpg

Detail shot of the Wheel well and speed brake housing painted:

IMG_3993_zpskcga7wkq.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality, but it is the only picture I have of the instrument panels after applying the kit decals.  The side panels and others were painted but the instrument faces use the kit decals.   I used Micro Sol and they set just  fine using 3-4 applications and a little  Q-tip dipped in solution for pressure.

IMG_3994_zpsintizrre.jpg

The Fuselage Glued together and partially completed:

IMG_3998_zpsrvvpx46r.jpg

IMG_3999_zpsn0fx5cso.jpg

IMG_4001_zpshbrkb8k8.jpg

IMG_4011_zpswr1pvxoi.jpg

IMG_4004_zps93e5fgx7.jpg

I removed the plastic Pitot tubes on the fin leading edge and made space for the Master Model Metal pitot tubes to be installed later.  One very nice design feature of the ZM kit is that the only seams that need to be addressed are the top and bottom of the very front of the fuselage in front of the canopy and the front wheel well.  Otherwise they are hidden along the fuselage spine by the panels and the fin vent.

Elevators and rear fuselage are next update, along with my method for installing the intakes.

Edited by ghatherly
On 7/3/2017 at 1:10 PM, ghatherly said:

Thx for the kind words.  I hope so to as I am using the old Microscope decals for this build in combination with the Kit decals for the stencils.   Doing the VF-301 MIg Killer in the Ferris scheme.   Between the early Hi viz markings, the std low viz and the Ferris there should be plenty of selections to fallout a set for Geoff.   I also put a word in Jake's ear w/ Speed Hunter, let's see what happened.

One guy I want to compliment is Dave Roof for an excellent job on designing the F-4J decal set in the ZM kit.   I don't know if he did the "S" also, but they are accurate and fit perfectly.  Great Job Dave!

I didn't draw the decal sheet that was in their J kit. I drew a decal sheet covering the F-4J(UK)'s of 74 Sqn for Z-M that they released as a separate item under their line.

Great build! BTW for other builders...This is a very nice kit as you can see as far as the exterior detail, but ZM dropped the ball on the general cockpit detail. Since I want open canopies I'm having to scratch build & scavenge resin from my stash of old Black Box, Aires, Hypersonic & Eduard AM to detail the cockpit into a fairly accurate presentation. It's up the builder how much they want to do, but if you're going for a fairly good likeness then you'll have to do the same/similar. I would buy the ZM photo etch set (made by Eduard) & metal landing gear that ZM offers, Get the Brassin weighted wheels, too, instead of the ZM resin set because the Brassin has the tire writing on sidewalls. They are very nice. Overall I think this kit is well engineered. It's a step up from the well received Academy kits-when they were released anyway. Other details can be added to the wing fuel dump vents, Master Model metal refueling probe receptacle. The Aires resin wheel wells for the Academy kits will fit after you cut away the kit's nose gear well & main gear wells. If you know your Phantoms then you can find all the other details that can be added or modified. I'm very pleased that ZM decided to market these Phantoms in 1/48. I hope they will release a F-4B/N as well. Keep on building!!! Good stuff here! 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Edited by Gunny

Wow, what a bunch of B.S.. For what ZM is charging for that kit, you still have to dump a bunch of money into aftermarket? Might as well buy a Hasegawa at a fraction of the cost.

Edited by picknpluck
1 hour ago, Gunny said:

Great build! BTW for other builders...This is a very nice kit as you can see as far as the exterior detail, but ZM dropped the ball on the general cockpit detail. Since I want open canopies I'm having to scratch build & scavenge resin from my stash of old Black Box, Aires, Hypersonic & Eduard AM to detail the cockpit into a fairly accurate presentation. It's up the builder how much they want to do, but if you're going for a fairly good likeness then you'll have to do the same/similar. I would buy the ZM photo etch set (made by Eduard) & metal landing gear that ZM offers, Get the Brassin weighted wheels, too, instead of the ZM resin set because the Brassin has the tire writing on sidewalls. They are very nice. Overall I think this kit is well engineered. It's a step up from the well received Academy kits-when they were released anyway. Other details can be added to the wing fuel dump vents, Master Model metal refueling probe receptacle. The Aires resin wheel wells for the Academy kits will fit after you cut away the kit's nose gear well & main gear wells. If you know your Phantoms then you can find all the other details that can be added or modified. I'm very pleased that ZM decided to market these Phantoms in 1/48. I hope they will release a F-4B/N as well. Keep on building!!! Good stuff here! 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

WOW!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting, definitely you have some strong opinions irregardless as to whether they are correct.   I live in Charleston, SC, and to my knowledge have never run into you.  Your comment on the weighed wheels for a USN Carrier aircraft is interesting considering they are filled to 300psi to survive carrier landings.  Even USMC jets carried this spec and they do not bulge unless they are going flat from a puncture!

55 minutes ago, picknpluck said:

Wow, what a bunch of B.S.. For what ZM is charging for that kit, you still have to dump a bunch of money into aftermarket? Might as well buy a Hasegawa at a fraction of the cost.

I would not go as far as to call it BS,....maybe passionate input.  I do want to point out that in his enthusiasm to share his views, Master guns may have scared off some from the kit, and that is the wing conclusion to draw.

Edited by ghatherly

What are you talking about??? Should we have run into each other because you live in Charleston??? I don't even know who you are. Note that I stated I'm pleased with the kit & complimented you. I'm permitted to advise the issues with the kit as I observe them. I don't know what connection you have with ZM, but you shouldn't be offended that any opinion is shared. I think folks that are interested in this kit will make up they're own minds as whether they want to purchase this kit. That's they're prerogative obviously. I have nothing to do with that nor do I have any influence on others in these forums. No reason to get offended & throw out insults in these forums. We're all here to enjoy modeling & share opinions as well as facts, etc. You seem very assertive to want folks to notice what you know. I don't know what's up with that. Have an awesome day! 

Semper Fi, 

Mastersguns 

1 hour ago, Gunny said:

What are you talking about??? Should we have run into each other because you live in Charleston??? I don't even know who you are. Note that I stated I'm pleased with the kit & complimented you. I'm permitted to advise the issues with the kit as I observe them. I don't know what connection you have with ZM, but you shouldn't be offended that any opinion is shared. I think folks that are interested in this kit will make up they're own minds as whether they want to purchase this kit. That's they're prerogative obviously. I have nothing to do with that nor do I have any influence on others in these forums. No reason to get offended & throw out insults in these forums. We're all here to enjoy modeling & share opinions as well as facts, etc. You seem very assertive to want folks to notice what you know. I don't know what's up with that. Have an awesome day! 

Semper Fi, 

Mastersguns 

Take chill pill gunny!   IF disagreeing with you is putting you down then I don't know what to say, but you have to admit that the suggestion to put bulged tires on a carrier jet is pretty funny.   I, like you have an opinion and mine disagree with yours. 

I am active with many veterans, historical groups and am active in SCMA and IPMS in the area, including Beaufort.   You mention in your moniker that you live in the SC Low Country, so naturally we may have run into each other.   Sorry if this offends you.   I post under my real name and since you don't I may or may not have run into you....which is a good thing in my book.    So forgive me but what did I say that insulted you?  

4 hours ago, ghatherly said:

Take chill pill gunny!   IF disagreeing with you is putting you down then I don't know what to say, but you have to admit that the suggestion to put bulged tires on a carrier jet is pretty funny.   I, like you have an opinion and mine disagree with yours. 

I am active with many veterans, historical groups and am active in SCMA and IPMS in the area, including Beaufort.   You mention in your moniker that you live in the SC Low Country, so naturally we may have run into each other.   Sorry if this offends you.   I post under my real name and since you don't I may or may not have run into you....which is a good thing in my book.    So forgive me but what did I say that insulted you?  

No worries, gt. We're all on the same team & obviously share the same passion that this great hobby offers. I thought I offended you & just wanted to clear the air. Again, nice kit & nice start! No offense taken & none intended. Keep building! 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns 

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the assembled wing showing the alignment of the outside hinge line and the leading edge slat pocket.

IMG_4020_zpshftd3tck.jpg

IMG_4018_zpsd7i8qdsw.jpg

IMG_4017_zpsr6pd378v.jpg

IMG_3974_zpsjshcqppr.jpg

IMG_3973_zpscrsygcaa.jpg

IMG_3967_zps1uwv259m.jpg

a couple of notes, with the first one to READ the instructions completely and thoroughly.   Before you glue on the wing top, you need to decide if you are using the outer wing pylons and open those holes if necessary.  You all need to open the ECM node holes in the wings and the bottom of the intakes. You also need to install the Sparrow well flapper doors to the front missile bays and the Catapult cable hooks.  These are a really important detail that all but the Academy Kits have left off.  Note the accurate rendering of the belly strap and load plates that equipped the "S".

Edited by ghatherly
1 hour ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Your build is looking really good!

Question: 

On the outboard wing panels..am I seeing correctly they molded in slat wells?  Instead of them being flush with raised actuators as on the actual F-4S?

Hi,  yes what you are seeing is a lip creating what you call a well on the inboard wing.  (I have not shown the outer wing work yet)

This was a subject of discussion during kit developement.  I will explain.

The material here is plastic, that has limits to its use and min thicknesses without warping or being damaged.  Our GT Resin 1/32 F-4S set is made like the real jet due to Resin being easier to pour thin, and being larger is easier to get the flush look of the real jet.  The lip was chosen so the inner slat would fit flush if modeled in the retracted position.   I the raised position,  there is that lip and a thick trailing edge to the slat.  I will show later how I thinned the TE of all 4 Slats,  but I left lip alone as it is hidden.  Either filling it or sanding it our are easy enough to do.   I chose not to as I was building this for the US IPMS NATS last month and didn't take the time to eliminate it.   I will on the next one built extended.  One thing I want to mention is the inner slat leading edge lip, an "S" trademark, is modeled correctly as is the profiles of all 4 slats,  especially if you thin the TE.

The kit has raised actuators that are very accurately reproduced,  with the inner and outer actuators being the larger ones flanking the smaller inner actuator.   They are seperate parts not yet installed.  You will see later that the outer slat can be sectioned into actually 2 panels as is the real jet.

hope this helps as more to come quickly, as the jet is done.

thx and great questions!

Gary

Edited by ghatherly

Next is the engines.  The pictures show what I originally planned for the intakes using the kit parts as the resin parts were not yet ready.   One observation I found with the kit instruction is that installing the intake as is, with the engines and then adding the outer intake later was awkward for me when I built the J.   When I built he B conversion I came up with the idea of separating the inner intakes, attaching them to the outer and installing them a conventional F-4 Phantom manner.   Either way works fine by the way, I just found that manipulating the outer intake around and dealing with paint it was easier for me to use my approach.   What you have to do is install the engines from the back, which is not difficult.

IMG_4042_zpsajej9jrp.jpg

IMG_4043_zpsmytrgqtu.jpg

IMG_4045_zps732u9xro.jpg

both the kit outer intake and the GT Resin intakes have marking to accurately place the ECM nodes the "S" carried.

IMG_4046_zpsbxmggu43.jpg

I also reworded the main gear.   The mechanism that is used to retract the main gear need sot be off set to add the two retraction rods to the pivot points,  I carefully cut the connection arm away form he gear, and using plastic rod offset the arm to give clearance for the two rods.  The first picture is bad but you get the ideasIMG_4096_zpsuwi5d8so.jpg

I also added detail tot he steering gear and using .2mm lead wire form UMM, added hydraulic lines to the parts.

IMG_4097_zpsjbd3xgdt.jpg

IMG_4285_zpsuc1c5uqz.jpg

Next is the assembled jet.  Really straight forward but I want to point out a few things I did that will show up in various pics as I move to completion.

1.  I careful thin the trailing edge of the slats
  2. I carefully opened the gap between the elevator slat and the elevator airfoil.
  3. thinned the outer wing strake....way to thick but is has to be molded this way to not warp or be damaged int he box

I used the black primer/molted white/then paint method for the first time.  I used Tamiya decanted gloss black lacquer.  I let it sit for a few hours to de-gass it and then thin with Tamiya lacquer thinner 25%.  I use several very thin coats with porch cloth between coats.

IMG_4058_zpsbs0dqjfw.jpg

IMG_4060_zpstcnpc2tu.jpg

Here is how I removed the molding tabs from the slats as to not damage them.

IMG_4037_zpsb8wvduaw.jpg

IMG_4102_zpsksajjtgu.jpg

IMG_4104_zpsamvxlbzj.jpg

IMG_4108_zpsi2iole4i.jpg

IMG_4110_zpsdjtqtotn.jpg

IMG_4111_zpsfcgvsbca.jpg

IMG_4112_zpschxlhwkv.jpg

I should add some commentary on the decals.  These are the old CAM set, and Had to go to Hannants in England. ( love that place).  I bought the last two sets they had in the hope I would get one complete model done between the two.  Well, I am very pleased to say that the old decals performed flawlessly and only one set was needed.  I applied them over two very thin layers of Future thinned 25% with windex.  I mist coat the future 1 hour after spraying with windex to further level out the layer.  I used the red  bottle Micro Sol to apply the decals and as you can see the process worked.  Nav lights were from the kit sheet.

Edited by ghatherly