Here some of the painting pictures after decals.  I did not take any during the painting process, sorry.   I used Testors Model Master acrylics thinned 35% with Tamiya Lacquer thinner.  I use several thin coats of color and sand with 2000 grit in between. This was made more complicated by 4 colors used, but not to difficult, just time consuming.   After the Decal application and a coat of thinned Testers Gloss Lacquer, I used some lightened and darkened shades of the 4 colors to add aging affect and fading.   These Ferris schemes took on a very faded look when in actual use.  Many of the pics show them clean and waxed for a bright finish, but outside of these shots they were very dull and has a faded washed out look, and picked up the usual Phantom dirty look that they get over time.  I tried my best to duplicate this as it was the look I wanted.  Testers flat clear was the applied with each coat polished out with a micro cloth.

IMG_4102_zpsksajjtgu.jpg

IMG_4273_zps0worbgpa.jpg

IMG_4271_zpsckxjae9u.jpg

IMG_4272_zps3t8igwg7.jpg

IMG_4276_zpshnha3wgk.jpg

IMG_4283_zpsqkmjgivw.jpg

You can see the "Sparrow Guide Antenna" next to the AC intake and the blow by air duct in the wheel well added to the S with the Radar change.  Two small items ZM missed!

IMG_4288_zpsvohjaf1l.jpg

Missiles are the kit missiles and decals which are very nice

IMG_4289_zpsf0yzz6xu.jpg

That is it,  I will have more finished pics up in the display case in a bit.  Thanks for all the kind words, support, and the enthusiasm over this new kit!!!!!

Edited by ghatherly
3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Gary what do you (GT Resin) currently have available for the ZM Phantoms?

HI,  We have the following Available now:

• Resin Seamless intakes with the two part corrected splitter plates and fan face
  • J/S Exhaust nozzles

Coming shortly with be:

• J canopy side frames
  • S canopy side frames with helmet sight, Wheel well blown are tub, and Sparrow sensor
  • Off set main gear retract mechanism for J & S
  • F-4B Conversion set for the J kit

thx

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2017 at 11:51 AM, ghatherly said:

HI,  We have the following Available now:

• Resin Seamless intakes with the two part corrected splitter plates and fan face

Gary,

What needed correction on the kit's splitter plates?

Just one magnificent build with an extraordinary paint job!!

Gene K

HI Gary

Brilliant; simply outstanding work. Fit and finish is spot - some very realistic weathering. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:\I have my ZM F4J underway but on hold as I'm full bore on my Tomcat right now. Hoping mine comes out half as good as your Phantom

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

HI guys,

getting caught up with the forums.  Thanks for all of the kind comments.

On 8/20/2017 at 7:44 PM, Wolfgun33 said:

Wow that looks incredible. How did you get that faded weathered look?

I use a flat lacquer top coat with a touch of white, then light gray, then tan.   The order is not important but each coat tone down the paint and create the bleached effect. I also sand with a polishing cloth between coats to make it very smooth, and then do some some spot fading using oils covered by a final clear coat of flat.   I spray my flat thinned 50-50 with Tamiya lacquer thinner so it lays really smooth and stays thin.

On 10/8/2017 at 6:43 PM, Gene K said:

Gary,

What needed correction on the kit's splitter plates?

Just one magnificent build with an extraordinary paint job!!

Gene K

There is no differentiation of the inner an outer plates, and some small details impossible to explain.   I will have pictures up soon of this detail once the intake sets are ready for sale.

Thx,

Gary