CT-133 VU-32 "Silver Shark" 1/72 Hasegawa w/ Leading Edge decals

Hasegawa T-33 with Leading Edge "Silver Shark" scheme from VU-32 out of CFB Greenwood, Nova Scotia in 1992. I saw a warbird in these markings at Hamilton a few years ago and had to do it. It's an OOOOOOLD Hasegawa kit with poor detail. I'll be redoing the wheel wells and putting some belts on the seats but that's about it. Even considering my past group build history, I should be able to finish this by the end of the year, we'll see what happens then. I do have a bunch more in the stash.

Note, for all the Photo Bucket haters out there, this was posted on FaceBook to see how it works as an alternative. I'm not spending $400/year to post photos, that's for damned sure. I posted it as viewable by "me only", right clicked the image, clicked "properties" and copied the URL to post it here. HTH.

19554975_1925324091042980_64910679230700

I think k I built this kit 30 years ago. I think I used some aftermarket decals to depict a snow birds plane. Is that possible. I remember having an awful time painting it white.  

Love the finish you are planning. Cant wait to see more. 

Saw a T-33 with this scheme at the Bagotville Airshow last weekend with ALF.  He has flight time on the aircraft that now sports this scheme.  That was really neat to learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Fiddly stuff is mostly done. I added lead foil belts with buckles made out of some bits of 1/700 ship railing photo etch. Also added arm rests and the rail on the back and some ejection handles made out of wire. Made throttles and control sticks from styrene rod suitably chopped up and shaped and added consoles and rudder pedals out of styrene sheet. Boxed in the wheel well walls, the actual wheel well detail will have to wait until the wings are glued together and that has to wait until the interior is painted and installed. 

For scale, the grid on the cutting mat is 1/2 inch squares (12.7mm).

nwtJeU9.jpg?1

fo7UGSM.jpg

vnVdiiU.jpg?1

Edited by Grey Ghost 531
  • 1 month later...

Wheel wells detailed, speed brake mechanisms imagined, strut drag links added, airframe rescribed. Added filler caps to tip tanks and made up a blind flying hood on the aft cockpit's port sill. I also decided the kit's canopy was too thick and to dull to abide so I vac formed a new one. Now everyone will see my crooked instruments...now it's time to break out the airbrush and ruin the whole thing!

21ADJND.jpg?1

hbZeEgQ.jpg?1

4tj0H4Y.jpg?1

myQjH7g.jpg?1

7e7K6R5.jpg?1

hnis8Xy.jpg

j3wfcbu.jpg?2

Oh, you can't see it in these pictures but since the intakes are only about 3/4" deep and I didn't want to mess with trunking or covers, I shaded them with the airbrush before I glued it together so they fade to black at the back. It doesn't look too bad, I'm going to try it on other jets in the future. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...