Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

Seems a bit disingenuous of Kitty Hawk to show pics of the kit with pods and crew and now state that it was the vendors that made the choice. I'll not purchase their "extra" set, but wait for someone to come out with a set of the correct pods, which I have no doubt someone will eventually. That our I'll build a airframe with the missile rails, though I don't know how often they are used. Seems most pics of the Su-34 show the pods installed

14 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Seems a bit disingenuous of Kitty Hawk to show pics of the kit with pods and crew

It isn't Kitty Hawk who posted the photo, it was posted by a member of the FB group.

22 minutes ago, Laurent said:

It isn't Kitty Hawk who posted the photo, it was posted by a member of the FB group.

That may have been the case but Kitty Hawk is guilty of NOT differentiating between two separate and distinct kits being marketed. Check out the photos of the sprues on Hobbysearch. Furthermore, they failed to inform US Vendors of that fact as well. Yeah, I'm pissed off. I spent $90+ and never got the freaking ECM Pods. I could care less about the spindly legged ground crewman.

37 minutes ago, Laurent said:

That may be the case , but no one appeared to know that the pods and crew were not included until Kitty Hawk's recent announcement that they were an add on set. They made no effort to dissuade customers from the notion that the pads and crew were included with the kit. That IS disingenuous. 

It's not like KH had a bad reputation among a portion of the modeling community or anything, right? Good thing they put out these parts as add-ons after the fact - they only had a year to make it crystal clear what they were doing. I ordered the kit at a good price, so that one is on me, I guess. 

Well, I received my delivery from Hobbyeasy today. I opened up the Su-34 box and what do you know. Right there on top of the sprues was the full set of resin parts, including the ECM pods and crew! Man was I surprised. I was fully expecting to see just the two exhaust nozzles. Well, good for you Hobbyeasy. They got the more expensive boxing and still offered it at a decent price.

On 6/21/2018 at 6:52 AM, Mstor said:

Seems a bit disingenuous of Kitty Hawk to show pics of the kit with pods and crew and now state that it was the vendors that made the choice.

It was not the vendors that "made the choice".  Vendors were told the kit would include the figures and ECM pods.  Those were included in the announcement to vendors and distributors sent out by Kitty Hawk.

It was not until after the kits were delivered that vendors discovered the parts were not included as advertised, nor were they included in the instructions.  Since then Kitty Hawk has promulgated a couple of different versions of why the kits don't always include the figures.

10 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Does anyone (Berkut.....?) know what the current factory paint scheme is for a late production Fullback?

My understanding was that it is the Eggplant scheme, but I have no proof other than hearsay. Not really sure as to the benefits of such a dark scheme for a strike aircraft.  Such a dark color stands out against the lighter color ground.Then again, our F-15Es are a dark gray too.

Does anyone here know if the Mr. Paint Eggplant color accurate, because Gunze recommended something like midnight blue  from their color range? Midnight blue would come out like an almost black shade. Does the Su-34 really have an "eggplant" shade?

19 minutes ago, flybywire said:

Does anyone here know if the Mr. Paint Eggplant color accurate, because Gunze recommended something like midnight blue  from their color range? Midnight blue would come out like an almost black shade. Does the Su-34 really have an "eggplant" shade?

see here: 

Paint:

1.jpg

Example:

3.jpg5.jpg4.jpg

Here's a link to the AKAN "eggplant" color. Looks like a dark bluish grey. AKAN is said to very accurate where Russian colors are concerned. They usually base the colors off of actual factory paint samples.

Perhaps the MRP color is too purple-ish. I have the color but haven't used it on anything yet.

http://shop.akan.ru/en/6xxxx-series/63166.html

54 minutes ago, Helmsman said:

The Mr.Paint color looks too purple-ish to me . 

Here is my MiG-29K painted with it:

I think you may be right. On all the pics of the actual aircraft that I've seen, the color looks more like an extremely dark blue-grey almost a black-blue. Maybe a VERY slight purplish tint, but not much. In aircraft pics the color looks a bit darker than the AKAN paint, but its difficult to tell. Would like to see a better pic of the Mr. Color 40th anniversary paint. It may be closer. When you look at the pic of the model on the cover of the Model Art mag, it looks dead on.