Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

Here are some pics of an Su-35 in the "Eggplant" color (I don't have any Su-34 pics that I can post here). They look to be taken in bright sunlight. As with all photographs, to be taken with a grain of salt, but I think on can get a fair idea of what the color should look like. That said, on some photos of Su-34's the color looks darker. Maybe fresher paint? Anyway...

36557268332_372950b094_o

36736954215_41f32da946_o

4 minutes ago, Helmsman said:

This is definitely NOT MrPaint color.

Yea, I definitely think you're right. Bummer, I think I bought two bottles of the stuff. Oh well. I really want to see what the Mr Color paint really looks like. The pre-shaded/post-shaded model's pics really don't give one any idea what the real color is.

4 hours ago, Mstor said:

My understanding was that it is the Eggplant scheme, but I have no proof other than hearsay. Not really sure as to the benefits of such a dark scheme for a strike aircraft.  Such a dark color stands out against the lighter color ground.Then again, our F-15Es are a dark gray too.

Gunship Gray and like colors are perfect for the night.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Yea, I definitely think you're right. Bummer, I think I bought two bottles of the stuff. Oh well. I really want to see what the Mr Color paint really looks like. The pre-shaded/post-shaded model's pics really don't give one any idea what the real color is.

I don't care one way or another. I have the Mr. Color and that's what I'll use. I'm sure they lighten up a bit in the Syrian sun anyway and I'll do some panel shading.

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

real color is here:

DJHI0kmUMAAHlsD.jpg

The very strange thing is every build models I found painted with these color, authors brighten it.

First example here: http://natsupon.blog60.fc2.com/img/IMG_8106.jpg/

Second here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOlBeP6X0AAh05O.jpg

I don't understand the reason why they do this, but if brighten it is this way, it must be relatively dark paint.

Well, that's the Mr Color 40th Anniversary color in the bottle and on models but lightened. I'd like to see what it looks like painted on surface, unlightened and dried. I think it obvious that lightened it turns into a dark or medium dark blue. It looks rather light in the bottle, in fact too light to me, but perhaps it darkens on drying, hence my request. The MRP color looks dark enough, just too purple.

Who's selling these Mr Color 40th Anniversary paints in the US?

Edited by Mstor
4 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I don't care one way or another. I have the Mr. Color and that's what I'll use. I'm sure they lighten up a bit in the Syrian sun anyway and I'll do some panel shading.

In the sun it appears to get a chalky appearance. Lightens significantly.

Back to the topic of the resin parts. Contrary to what Kitty Hawk has apparently said, that vendors had a choice regarding which boxing they wanted, full resin parts including ECM pods and crew, or just exhaust nozzles. The vendor I purchase my kit from has stated all their kits came with the ECM pods and crew and that their "supplier" did not mention any options. I don't know if "supplier" in this case was Kitty Hawk or a wholesale distributor. In any case, they did NOT know of any "options" regarding the resin parts. They just purchased the kits and they arrived with all the resin parts.

Edited by Mstor

And now back to paint 😉 Here's a pic of Gunze's "color sample" of the AVC06 Russian Blue 1 color:

2129735690_Russsianaircraftblue1.thumb.jpg.7a705c18b90b7e5fd31f7ff691a59965.jpg

If the color sample is close to what the real thing looks like dried, then is is pretty dead on. They also make a color AVC05 Previous Blue which looks even darker, almost black. I found a supplier on eBay that has AVC06. Delivery will take a while though. I'm looking for other vendors.

17 hours ago, Mstor said:

Here's a link to the AKAN "eggplant" color. Looks like a dark bluish grey. AKAN is said to very accurate where Russian colors are concerned. They usually base the colors off of actual factory paint samples.

Perhaps the MRP color is too purple-ish. I have the color but haven't used it on anything yet.

http://shop.akan.ru/en/6xxxx-series/63166.html

Thanks Mstor for the tip! I'll try to spread this paint on a blank sheet and see how it looks.

12 hours ago, shion said:

real color is here:

DJHI0kmUMAAHlsD.jpg

The very strange thing is every build models I found painted with these color, authors brighten it.

First example here: http://natsupon.blog60.fc2.com/img/IMG_8106.jpg/

Second here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOlBeP6X0AAh05O.jpg

I don't understand the reason why they do this, but if brighten it is this way, it must be relatively dark paint.

Oh no I think that is too far off for the Su-34, it's too light!

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

And now back to paint 😉 Here's a pic of Gunze's "color sample" of the AVC06 Russian Blue 1 color:

2129735690_Russsianaircraftblue1.thumb.jpg.7a705c18b90b7e5fd31f7ff691a59965.jpg

If the color sample is close to what the real thing looks like dried, then is is pretty dead on. They also make a color AVC05 Previous Blue which looks even darker, almost black. I found a supplier on eBay that has AVC06. Delivery will take a while though. I'm looking for other vendors.

Howcome the paint in the bottle is quite different from the picture shown here?? This one is almost dead on, I think, but the one in the bottle is very blue, very light blue, not even close to black....

2 hours ago, flybywire said:

Thanks Mstor for the tip! I'll try to spread this paint on a blank sheet and see how it looks.

I recommend that you use the Lacquer based product NOT the water based. Adhesion will be significantly better. Trust me ....I know...

In fact RAL 7015 Slate Grey's used for upper surfaces of the Eggplant camouflage scheme. The paint is available from many paint manufacturers (automotive sprays for example).
Hope this helps

Edited by brahio
2 hours ago, flybywire said:

Howcome the paint in the bottle is quite different from the picture shown here?? This one is almost dead on, I think, but the one in the bottle is very blue, very light blue, not even close to black....

I've placed an order from a eBay vendor in Poland, faster shipping than the first eBay vendor. Getting both the Russian Aircraft Blue 1 and the "Previous Blue" (weird name) which is even darker. Will still take a few eeeks to get here, but then I be able to test the paint.

15 minutes ago, brahio said:

In fact RAL 7015 Slate Grey's used for upper surfaces of the Eggplant camouflage scheme. The paint is available from many paint manufacturers (automotive sprays for example).
Hope this helps

This is an useful info.👍

19 minutes ago, brahio said:

Hope this helps

Looks too Gray and not enough of the Aubergine tone. BUT, I say that only because it is next to impossible to judge colors on un-calibrated monitors etc. I went ahead and ordered a couple of the Russian Blue 1 Mr. Color bottles (Taiwan Vendor) for under $9 shipped. However, my plan is still to use the Mr. Paint unless I find it glaringly off.

24 minutes ago, brahio said:

Hope this helps

Examples of Slate grey that I have been able to find online look too light, but close and the right hue or close to it. I would guess it depends on how the actual paint looks, of course.

1 minute ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Looks too Gray and not enough of the Aubergine tone. BUT, I say that only because it is next to impossible to judge colors on un-calibrated monitors etc. I went ahead and ordered a couple of the Russian Blue 1 Mr. Color bottles (Taiwan Vendor) for under $9 shipped. However, my plan is still to use the Mr. Paint unless I find it glaringly off.

You beat me to it by a few seconds :clap2:

4 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

4 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Examples of Slate grey that I have been able to find online look too light, but close and the right hue or close to it. I would guess it depends on how the actual paint looks, of course.

Guys, you are too hurry to critic, you'd better read one more time.

He didn't say "it looks like".

He said "In fact RAL 7015 Slate Grey's used for upper surfaces of the Eggplant camouflage scheme".

So it isn't a guess, it's an info, provided by people who paint the real a/c at the the owner of missionmarks decals.

25 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Examples of Slate grey that I have been able to find online look too light

Actually RAL 7015 is pretty dark color. This is how it compares to Model Master FS 36118, for example. 

7015.jpg