Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

1 hour ago, shion said:

Guys, you are too hurry to critic, you'd better read one more time.

He didn't say "it looks like".

He said "In fact RAL 7015 Slate Grey's used for upper surfaces of the Eggplant camouflage scheme".

So it isn't a guess, it's an info, provided by people who paint the real a/c at the the owner of missionmarks decals.

I don't think Russia uses RAL colors on their aircraft. They believe they have their own color system. Why would Russia be using RAL colors for their aircraft. Seems odd to me. Or am I misunderstanding you?

24 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I don't think Russia uses RAL colors on their aircraft. They believe they have their own color system. Why would Russia be using RAL colors for their aircraft. Seems odd to me. Or am I misunderstanding you?

The eggplant scheme was introduced in 2011 by the then MoD Serdyukov (who tried to buy israeli UAVs, italian armored vehicles, french Mistrals etc) without any research of how effective it was. And according to the scheme aircrafts should be painted RAL 7015. 
Yes, we do have our own color range but we also can paint planes any colors a customer wants. So RAL palette is widely used here in Russia because of its availability and prevalence in the world. 
So planes were painted in RAL 7015, this is not my speculation but firm fact. To accept it or not to accept is your own decision.

31 minutes ago, Mstor said:

RAL + number is not a brand or a patent for a special material, it is just a designation for a distinct color.

So, you can be russian, american or japanese, when people talk about RAL 7015, they talk about the same color.

So yes, Russians use RAL colors too.

And like everybody else, they sell  and use these...because these colors are used worldwide, reason why they're cheap.

And these color in particular is used a lot to paint modern housedoors/homefronts and garages.

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

I've placed an order from a eBay vendor in Poland, faster shipping than the first eBay vendor. Getting both the Russian Aircraft Blue 1 and the "Previous Blue" (weird name) which is even darker. Will still take a few eeeks to get here, but then I be able to test the paint.

👍

On 6/7/2018 at 1:08 AM, shion said:

It depends on the a/c:

exhaust on the right:

28502918171_eabdf5a87d_b.jpg

Exhaust on the bottom:

27965735763_151409d530_b.jpg

Same exhaust, better view:

28502920391_7f3cf19e03_b.jpg

Exhaust on the left:

28502925911_d54c617f59_b.jpg

And of course, the pointy tip.

So, KH did their homework.

Following up on this, I see the photos of the starboard side and bottom vents that shoin provided, but I can't seem to find any photos of an aircraft with the starboard side or bottom vents. Were these on a pre-production airframe?  I've found plenty of photos of Su-34s with the port side vent or with no vents at all (no APU), but none with either the starboard or bottom vents. Anyone with some more info on this, as I am wondering if, for a production airframe with the APU, I will need to close up the starboard side and/or bottom vents?

Edited by Mstor
13 minutes ago, Matt Walker said:

Ok, so who does RAL 7015?

The MRP is way too purple. I've used it on my Su-35, but mixed a substantial amount of light gray into it to closer match photos of the aircraft.

M

Googling RAL 7015 doesn't bring up any model paints, but I found this:

http://www.lowvolumepowder.com/RAL-7015-Touch-Up-Bottle

I have no idea what the paint is like to paint with. Its an acrylic lacquer, thins with lacquer thinner, but no mention of what the pigment particle size is like.

Edited by Mstor
4 hours ago, brahio said:

Actually RAL 7015 is pretty dark color. This is how it compares to Model Master FS 36118, for example. 

7015.jpg

It needs to be compared with a FS595 Chip set .

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
52 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Shion, I could probably make the same claim. Russia does not use German RAL Paint.

OK then. I'm sure that you, from Wisconsin, know which paint we use here in Russia better than me. What would you say if I state America does not eat pizza because it's an Italian meal?
Once again: the upper surfaces of the "eggplant" aircraft were/are painted RAL 7015. But you can continue to guess the right color by looking at photos.

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

Following up on this, I see the photos of the starboard side and bottom vents that shoin provided, but I can't seem to find any photos of an aircraft with the starboard side or bottom vents. Were these on a pre-production airframe?  I've found plenty of photos of Su-34s with the port side vent or with no vents at all (no APU), but none with either the starboard or bottom vents. Anyone with some more info on this, as I am wondering if, for a production airframe with the APU, I will need to close up the starboard side and/or bottom vents?

Starboard and bottom vents were a pre-production thing, AFAIK only on BORT 46.

Note that panels on starboard are the same size and shape and that the raised rectangular feature is both above and below them.

:cheers:

1439945948_DSCN1023_sm.jpg

49 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

Starboard and bottom vents were a pre-production thing, AFAIK only on BORT 46.

Note that panels on starboard are the same size and shape and that the raised rectangular feature is both above and below them.

:cheers:

Thank You Zactoman! I had a feeling you'd be the one to answer :naughty:

3 hours ago, Helmsman said:

This is bloody expensive. They charge almost $13 just for shipping.

Ouch, back to the drawing board.

There's these guys, just over in TX, but only spray cans.

http://orbittx.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=15&category_id=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1

Everything else I found was either in the UK or EU or powder coatings.

We are at the mercy of the model paint companies to come up with something good. There's the Gunze paint that I'll be checking hopefully, I know Hataka and I think Mig have paint sets that include a "matching color". It the Hataka set is available in the Orange line then that would be something I would consider. Must needs check stuff out :hmmm:

3 hours ago, brahio said:

OK then. I'm sure that you, from Wisconsin, know which paint we use here in Russia better than me. What would you say if I state America does not eat pizza because it's an Italian meal?
Once again: the upper surfaces of the "eggplant" aircraft were/are painted RAL 7015. But you can continue to guess the right color by looking at photos.

Well that's a first. An analogy based on pizza. What's next? McDonalds? I would rather hear from someone in the VVS. Here in the States we can get reasonable and authentic proof from those who fly, work on or work around our aircraft. Are you sure you're not from Serbia? And note that I said GERMAN RAL Paint. Not RAL Color standard. There is a difference.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
12 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Well that's a first. An analogy based on pizza. What's next? McDonalds? I would rather hear from someone in the VVS. Here in the States we can get reasonable and authentic proof from those who fly, work on or work around our aircraft. Are you sure you're not from Serbia? And note that I said GERMAN RAL Paint. Not RAL Color standard. There is a difference.

Are you serious?

He provided a really useful info, what are you doing now?  You try multiple times to pull a fight.

Pathetic.

Guys, delete those last few posts and start over. It is not worth getting worked up over paint for a model kit. 

I give Shion a glass of American beer and Mr Matt Foley a glass of vodka....drink half each and switch glasses, gents. 

1 hour ago, Wizard_rkt said:

Guys, delete those last few posts and start over. It is not worth getting worked up over paint for a model kit. 

I give Shion a glass of American beer and Mr Matt Foley a glass of vodka....drink half each and switch glasses, gents. 

WORD !!!