Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

9 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

I think this was wrong alarm. There is no trace of it..

Yea, I think you are right. My apologies everyone. I jumped the gun by believing an eBay post. My bad.

Well, at the risk of making a fool of myself again (I'm a glutton for punishment), HobbyEasy now lists the kit as a Pre-order with a May 20th 2018 release date. Take that for what its worth. I think HobbyEasy a reputable dealer and doubt they would print misleading info. Unless, of course, KH gave them bogus information.

• 2 weeks later...

10534094t.jpg

Considering that the profiles are likely to be based on the CAD model, I'm pleasantly surprised. Compared to the HB profile the windscreen looks longer relative to the canopy and the stinger tip looks more conical.

13 hours ago, Mstor said:

I pulled the trigger and went for the pre-order at Hobbyeasy. It certainly is a lot cheaper than the Hobbyboss kit. Even discounted, that kit is not cheap.

The Hobbyboss kit prce has fallen dramatically about 2 months ago. About 30-40% cheaper..

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as with the Su-35, the wings are separate pieces, unlike GWH and Hobbyboss where the upper wings and upper fuselage are one piece. I wonder if they have a mold size limitation. The exhausts look like they are resin. If you zoom in close on the second engine pic (not the one above) you can just make out the  3D printing striations. The detail, overall, looks quite good to me, but with Kitty Hawk it will come down to fit and attention to the build process.

Thanks for posting this HomeBe. Oh well, it looked nice. I guess KH has screwed the pooch again. I wonder where they were getting their information? Or did they just make stuff up as they went along? Jeees! After all this time you'd think they would do their homework. I guess there is always a chance we are looking at photos of early test shots and that they have corrected the errors. I don't read Chinese so I don't know what they are saying, but their release date, May 20, is coming up fast.

Edited by Mstor
59 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I guess KH has screwed the pooch again. I wonder where they were getting their information? ... I guess there is always a chance we are looking at photos of early test shots and that they have corrected the errors. I don't read Chinese so I don't know what they are saying, but their release date, May 20, is coming up fast.

For me the situation is similar to the Su-17. I expect the KH to be somewhat superior in shapes to the HB kit. The windscreen area of the HB kit looks off to me and I believe it will be better in the KH kit. I'm pretty confident it's too late to modify the surface detailing.

2 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

are these fixable what are the flaws?

Follow the link HomeBe posted. It shows photos of the actual aircraft vs the parts pictured above. Very obvious mistakes in the detailing (actually, some look like fictitious detailing to me).

2 hours ago, Laurent said:

For me the situation is similar to the Su-17. I expect the KH to be somewhat superior in shapes to the HB kit. The windscreen area of the HB kit looks off to me and I believe it will be better in the KH kit. I'm pretty confident it's too late to modify the surface detailing.

Well the nose cone shape on the HB kit is definitely wrong. Lets hope KH has that correct at least. If the shapes are OK, then perhaps some of the detailing can be corrected. Most of the problems shown above, aside from the rocket launchers, are details that shouldn't be there. They could be filled in and sanded, assuming that the general shapes are correct. Its just that I didn't want to have to spend time correcting mistakes like this. Panel and access panel lines are easy to verify Kitty Hawk. Just look at a photo!

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Panel and access panel lines are easy to verify Kitty Hawk. Just look at a photo!

Well if the designer's based in PRC, he'd probably have to use a VPN which is considered to be illegal I believe. I doesn't stop a vast number of people using them but my point is that things that may seem obvious aren't.

2 hours ago, Laurent said:

Well if the designer's based in PRC, he'd probably have to use a VPN which is considered to be illegal I believe. I doesn't stop a vast number of people using them but my point is that things that may seem obvious aren't.

Well, the forum that the pics were posted on is run by Baidu, a major Chinese technology company. So, obviously, someone has access to pics of the Su-34 in China and is able to post them on a modeling forum without repercussions. I can't imagine that the Chinese government would be restricting pics of an aircraft that is almost 30 years old (first flew in1990). But, who knows.

Well, KH may not have gotten the dual ejector wrong. Found a pic of a Su-34 with the ejector that has the center spanning part. See below...

1936681629_Dualejector.jpg.233f761911572b6be36a279061b621e4.jpg

27 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Well, KH may not have gotten the dual ejector wrong. Found a pic of a Su-34 with the ejector that has the center spanning part. See below...

1936681629_Dualejector.jpg.233f761911572b6be36a279061b621e4.jpg

The thing is there are at least two or maybe three versions of the dual ejectors.

I've seen the ones on the Su-33 which don't have the central beam and hung from two stub pylons.

Like this ones

O5oBSTB.jpg

Then there's another one for the Su-34/35

Advanced Modeling already has a resin one, and the center portion is a single piece pylon. As seen on the resin and photos real one from their site.

http://www.amigomodels.ru/product/balka48005/

photo_1_1519040898.jpg

photo_3_1519040898.jpg

photo_21_1519040898.jpg

And the one on your pic has a straight rear end which looks like the ones on the Su-33, but with the added center beam. Is it a screenshot from a video?

Edited by Inquisitor
33 minutes ago, Inquisitor said:

And the one on your pic has a straight rear end which looks like the ones on the Su-33, but with the added center beam. Is it a screenshot from a video?

Great photos and info! I couldn't find the site that I got the original photo from. Needless to say, I cropped it down so I could post it directly here. I found another pic almost identical to the original one only the jet is flying in the opposite direction. Here's a link...

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sukhoi_Su-34_in_2012_(3).jpg

Hmmm. Looking at a photo of the actual aircraft, the molded detail actually looks ok. For example the round panels seem to be in the correct position and do not need to be moved forward as indicated by the red arrows. 

Would appreciate it if someone could point to exactly where the errors are because I’m not seeing them. 

41372398934_3e0d8f5ab2_b.jpg

Mark

18 hours ago, HomeBe said:

😀

Source: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5697336152

When you discover that for Chinese modellers KH nickname is "KITTYBUG".

image.jpg

image.jpg

V.P.

The person who started the Tieba Baidu topic is SuperTomcat21 so the bashing isn't surprising:

- he's a huge Flanker family fan so he'll pick up the smallest divergence

- perhaps "Aviation Art V2.0" was thinking about doing a Su-34 after the Su-33... Nelson Muntz "Ha ha !" type of topic could be expected...

I'm just interested to know what will be the best Model and best Kit between the HB and KH.

Edited by Laurent