Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

4 hours ago, Raptor01 said:

Meh, I had girl friend who needed putty & paint and then looked like the prototype.  Anyhoo in life, the worst piece of _ _ _, is the one you never get! :woot.gif:

John

Wise words! And ones I live by as well. You’ll always regret the tail you didn’t hit. 

38 minutes ago, evilmedic13 said:

Wise words! And ones I live by as well. You’ll always regret the tail you didn’t hit. 

You guys are bad :naughty:

I agree with Berkut and Laurent that the KH nose and canopy areas look superior to the HB offering. I'll reserve judgement on whether it is "right" until I receive my kit.
Reshaping the HB nosecone doesn't fix the cross-sections around the cockpit area. From what I can tell, correcting the cross-sections would require replacing the clear canopy part as Laurent mentions.

KH appears to have done a much better job.
Over-all it looks like a nice kit. They got some small details wrong and missed some subtle shapes, but it looks like stuff that can be fixed or lived with.
The kit represents a late production model and appears to include most of the details necessary to build an accurate one (less APU door, doh! :bandhead2:).
The open engine compartment with internal recesses for door removal is a nice idea but would have been better had they included separate doors as well. Cutting without damaging will be very difficult.
Sadly the engines look weak and simplified compared to the CADs (which were simplified). I guess they didn't include the nice engine cart shown on the CADs.

Cockpit looks decent. Unfortunate that they didn't offer the sliding center console and have it extended rather than slid forward as it would be when un-manned. Easy enough to cut and re-position.
HUD looks a bit over-sized.

Nose gear mudguard is oversized and as a result the  step on guard is too tall. It should only be a little taller than the wheel.
Landing lights are in the wrong position. Possibly an error by the builder?

Humps forward of main gear doors should be flatter. The result is that the main gear doors are too curved at the front. Unfortunately very difficult to fix.
Raised panels (with rivets) on main gear doors should be removed. Those were only on prototypes.
Main gear struts look a little too small in diameter. Su-34 struts are very beefy.

KH_details_zpsth9x72tf.jpg

Scoops and bumps behind main wells were added on late production aircraft. The bump is glued in the wrong location on the test build. It should move forward to match the cut-out on the rear main gear door:

Rear_gear_hump_zpsjqiedhhp.jpg

There are a few V-stab issues. A common problem is that CAD designers will mirror details when they shouldn't be. There are a couple of details on the left fin that shouldn't be there and a few missing details.
The antennas shown match the most current configuration.

Fins1_zpsiz6p1rcv.jpg

Fins2_zpsjebz4fmu.jpg

The resin L-175V pods need to have the raised conduit removed from the left pod:

SAP-518_conduit_zpsdlibezxx.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting the kit. Looks like it can be built into something nice.

EDIT: Links for build and sprue shots so you don't have to go back and search for them:

Build: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5734628202

Sprue shots: https://tieba.baidu.com/p/5734601936

:cheers:

🛑🛑🛑 EDIT: See Kotey's posts and my reply on page 15! Crazy Russians successfully fooled me by using the same Bort numbers for multiple air-frames! Upgrades may or may not have been done...🛑🛑🛑

Edited by Zactoman
Corrected ECM pod designation

Thanks for pointing out errors on the KH. They are there, the reader can decide if he can live with them or not.

Now for me it doesn't change anything. If someone feels an urge to build an Su-34 model now without already owning the HB kit, the best option remains the Kitty Hawk kit as it's more accurate and generally cheaper. If there's no hurry, the modeller can wait for GizmoHobby/WhateverModel to release the ultimate in the [2018;+∞[ "timeframe".

Edited by Laurent
18 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

You work for Trumpeter right?

He doesn't AFAIK. He's helping on the Su-33 2.0 that someone is supposed to release someday.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:50 PM, Mr Matt Foley said:

Seriously? I’ll build the KH kit any day. You work for Trumpeter right?

I don't work for any model brand and I provide Flanker information for anyone who needs help.:beer4:

On 6/11/2018 at 10:47 PM, Mstor said:

Instructions posted on Hobbysearch...

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10534094

Looking at the instructions seems to confirm that the landing lights and humps behind the main gear wells were just attached wrong on the test build. It looks like if you follow the instructions these parts will be located properly.

As for the markings they include "02" and "03" markings for early production air-frames. To use the decals you will need to make a few modifications*.
Neither had the canopy frames painted black.
Don't use the wing fences (and fill their holes).
Eliminate the small scoops and bumps behind the main gear wells and fill the corresponding notch in the rear main gear door.

Rear_gear_hump_zpsjqiedhhp.jpg~original

You will also need to fill the two big holes on the upper fuselage inboard of the v-stabs (does anybody know what those holes are?).

Both had early tail antenna configurations as seen here: http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?cid=490&orderby=date ASC&show=12&min=36
Neither have the APU door on the boom so you don't have to worry about adding it.
For both "02" and "03" you need to eliminate the APU vents on both sides of the tail boom.

For "02" you need to eliminate the chaff/flare dispensers under the boom: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/moscow-region-russia-march-20-2010-419174092  Also note that the underside of the stabs do have bare metal areas where the instructions show them in gray.

"02" has some kind of raised ribs on the top of the boom. https://avatars.mds.yandex.net/get-pdb/34158/1c2a37cf-d1ec-4380-91c4-5bb0c8a3f476/s1200

Also note that it has more of the tip of the boom painted gray. http://www.airliners.net...(big url!)

"03" walk-around here: http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/v/walkarounds/avia/after_1950/Su+34/?g2_page=1

*Or, you could build either as a current production model (both were upgraded sometime before August, 2016) but you won't be able to use the big colorful decal on the left fuselage side. Both had mid and forward canopy frames painted black.

:cheers:

🛑🛑🛑 EDIT: See Kotey's posts and my reply on page 15! Crazy Russians successfully fooled me by using the same Bort numbers for multiple air-frames! Upgrades may or may not have been done...🛑🛑🛑

Edited by Zactoman
9 hours ago, SuperTomcat21 said:

I don't work for any model brand and I provide Flanker information for anyone who needs help.:beer4:

As was said by Laurent, we will decide what fits our expectations. I personally cannot imagine anyone buying the expensive HobbyBoss example, especially with the Kitty Hawk shape being as it is.......better. I say this because I have had the HobbyBoss Su-34 in hand and traded it away due to it's deficiencies.

On 6/11/2018 at 8:41 AM, Mstor said:

Looks like Hobbyeasy finally got some. My order is confirmed and ready ship, though the kit is still listed as "preorder".

Keep us posted if/when it actually ships. My luck is poor...I canceled the pre-order at HobbyEasy and jumped to Luckymodel for the 20% off sale. Still listed as a pre-order there as well.

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Keep us posted if/when it actually ships. My luck is poor...I canceled the pre-order at HobbyEasy and jumped to Luckymodel for the 20% off sale. Still listed as a pre-order there as well.

My Su-34 shipped yesterday, my Voodoo order just shipped today.

A tiny bit of flash here and there (not very noticeable though).  Ejector pin marks inside intake trunks and main gear doors (Wait!...I just found out that another piece covers the ejector pin marks on inside of gear doors).....might not be so easy to clean up, but I will give it my best effort. Overall I think this kit is mind-blowing. I have plenty of other ECM pods to throw on it from other kits that I did not use them on. No figures?....I am not going to lose sleep over that.  Tons of ordnance....always a pleasure to beef up the scale cache of weapons. Landing gear should not have been split down the vertical axis....I'll be looking for aftermarket since I do not intend to spend hours upon hours of effort on the sanding stick routine. The resin nozzles (open and closed) look great and should be a real thrill to add here. The nose and canopy areas appear to be spot-on for shape.....anyone care to challenge that? I hope i'm not proven wrong.