Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

An example of painting instruction, just to close the discussion of which colors Russian VKS use. As you see we can use not only RAL but also FS color range.
Sorry for the offtopic.
vityaz.jpg

1 minute ago, brahio said:

An example of painting instruction, just to close the discussion of which colors Russian VKS use. As you see we can use not only RAL but also FS color range.
Sorry for the offtopic.

Its all fascinating to me. In my searches for RAL 7015 paint I even found a Russian company supplying RAL colors. And of course there are many American companies supplying it too. In these days of cost cutting, I can see where using what is already available off shelf would make sense. I believe the US military has done that in the past too (not for paint maybe). I have no reason to doubt the claim that the "Eggplant color" is or was originally a RAL color. Now the US armed services seem to be a bit anal when it comes to colors. Everything to one (or two, or three) standard(s). :whistle:

In the end, I do enjoy lively discussion, but it is too easy, sometimes, for it to get out of hand. Let's have more lively, civil discussion, yes? There are always ways to get one's point across without stepping on toes.

Hataka uses FS36076 Dark Gunship Grey in their Su-34 set. I think Testors does an Engine Grey 36076 (Panzer Grey in spray can), and True North enamels does one.

Have anyone tried HB recommended mix of Gunze "propeller color" (whatever it means) and white?

Here is another reference to RAL7015 in google translation:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fscalemodels.ru%2Fmodules%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic_p_1477468.html%231477468&edit-text=

Edited by Helmsman
41 minutes ago, Helmsman said:

Have anyone tried HB recommended mix of Gunze "propeller color" (whatever it means) and white?

Mr Color C131 Propeller color is just a very dark gray.

On 6/23/2018 at 7:33 PM, Mstor said:

I've placed an order from a eBay vendor in Poland, faster shipping than the first eBay vendor. Getting both the Russian Aircraft Blue 1 and the "Previous Blue" (weird name) which is even darker. Will still take a few eeeks to get here, but then I be able to test the paint.

It was mentioned earlier that the pods provided by KH are inaccurate; is anyone aware if the ones supplied by HB are correct for Su-34?

Sorry Mstor I didn't know your post got attached here, I was simply  replying to this topic and not quoting your post, and I couldn't seem to remove it. Sorry!

Edited by flybywire
1 hour ago, flybywire said:

Sorry Mstor I didn't know your post got attached here, I was simply  replying to this topic and not quoting your post, and I couldn't seem to remove it. Sorry!

And here I was, all excited, only to be let down :crying::naughty:

1 hour ago, flybywire said:

It was mentioned earlier that the pods provided by KH are inaccurate; is anyone aware if the ones supplied by HB are correct for Su-34?

I think someone mentioned that the pods provided in the Kitty Hawk Su-35 kit were inaccurate for the Su-34. Someone was considering using the Su-35 pods since the Su-34 kit they got didn't include them.

18 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I think someone mentioned that the pods provided in the Kitty Hawk Su-35 kit were inaccurate for the Su-34. Someone was considering using the Su-35 pods since the Su-34 kit they got didn't include them.

Wasn't there a mention of the Pods being "mirrored"?

26 minutes ago, Petarvu said:

Yes, and that is not accurate.😨

Sad...someone needs to give us accurate subjects. Can the one pod that is mirrored be modified in any way to correct it? Or, are they both so bad it would not be worth the effort?

Almost one year ago I started this thread to get an answer to a quite straightforward question but 13 pages later my question is still unanswered. So, I guess it is time to ask that question again.

Both Hobby Boss and Kitty Hawk Su-34 are now worldwide available. Both shine for a high level of detail and accuracy, but the winner is...

Edited by galfa
1 minute ago, galfa said:

Almost one year ago I started this thread to get an answer to a quite straightforward question but 13 pages later my question is still unanswered. So, I guess it is time to ask that question again.

Both Hobby Boss and Kitty Hawk Su-34 are now worldwide available. Both shoine for a high level of detail and accuracy, but the winner is...

The 1/48 Tamiya F-14 is the winner??

55 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Sad...someone needs to give us accurate subjects. Can the one pod that is mirrored be modified in any way to correct it? Or, are they both so bad it would not be worth the effort?

Well, here are the Kitty Hawk pods. Note the thick fairing on the outer surface of both pods:

photo_2018-06-06_15-10-47

Here's the Starboard side pod on the real thing. Not the fairing on the outer side:

osjja

Finally here's the port side pod. note, no fairing (sorry for small pic, had to crop larger photo):

port side pod

So, are there more difference beyond the outer fairing? If not, one could sand the fairing off of the port side pod, yes?.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Well, here are the Kitty Hawk pods. Note the thick fairing on the outer surface of both pods:

Here's the Starboard side pod on the real thing. Not the fairing on the outer side:

osjja

Finally here's the port side pod. note, no fairing (sorry for small pic, had to crop larger photo):

port side pod

So, are there more difference beyond the outer fairing? If not, one could sand the fairing off of the port side pod, yes?.

The red part on the pod is something that gets removed prior to flight.....see the handle?

On 6/23/2018 at 11:00 PM, Mstor said:

Mr Color C131 Propeller color is just a very dark gray.

Not sure what bottle you're looking at. Both of mine are the dark red-brown used by both IJN and IJAAF for propellers and spinners during WW2 -- what the Japanese referred to as Tea Color.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Besides the outer thicker fairing/conduit on one side and not on the other. The ends of the fairings on the real thing are rounded, while KH's resin are flat ended.

42 minutes ago, Inquisitor said:

Besides the outer thicker fairing/conduit on one side and not on the other. The ends of the fairings on the real thing are rounded, while KH's resin are flat ended.

They at least give us something to work with. But, I bet Zactoman and his Russian Connection could make some that would blow us out of the water. A foray into 1/48 would be good for his .biz

43 minutes ago, Inquisitor said:

I think that could be managed with some putty and sanding. What I did notice after looking at more photos is that there is a small air scoop on the upper inside surface of the starboard pod. It looks like there may be one on the port side to but smaller, I can't tell. Those will be a bit more difficult to create. It's looking like we definitely need some aftermarket pods.