Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

On 6/26/2018 at 4:35 PM, Mstor said:

I think that could be managed with some putty and sanding. What I did notice after looking at more photos is that there is a small air scoop on the upper inside surface of the starboard pod. It looks like there may be one on the port side to but smaller, I can't tell. Those will be a bit more difficult to create. It's looking like we definitely need some aftermarket pods.

Tiny Air scoops are not that difficult. Just get the right thickness of plastic and drill/carve away

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
6 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Tiny Air scoops are not that difficult. Just get the right thickness of plastic and drill/crave away

That's easy for you to say. With my shaky little hands I'd probably cut off a finger 😓

On 6/26/2018 at 2:47 PM, Inquisitor said:

Besides the outer thicker fairing/conduit on one side and not on the other. The ends of the fairings on the real thing are rounded, while KH's resin are flat ended.

Most of the details are different left and right. About the only things the same are the conduits on the top and bottom.

The rounded end of the right side conduit is only on very early models. The early version also had other major differences. There are pics of it mounted on "red 03" here: http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/v/walkarounds/avia/after_1950/Su+34/

The rounded ends were changed to the squarish ends which is present on all production pods. You can see the squarish ends in this pic:

Su-34_at_the_Celebration_of_the_100th_an

On 6/26/2018 at 3:32 PM, Mr Matt Foley said:

Zactoman and his Russian Connection

Do you mean Google and the internet? LOL! No collusion here! :rolleyes:

Can somebody who received the resin pods post pics showing the details on them?

:cheers:

2 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Can somebody who received the resin pods post pics showing the details on them?

These are not good photos. I have only a cheap phone camera and I am not good at taking close up photos. That said, here they are:

20180627_224203_Film2_resized

20180627_224146_Film2_resized

20180627_224051_Film2_resized

20180627_224034_Film2_resized

14 hours ago, Zactoman said:

The rounded ends were changed to the squarish ends which is present on all production pods. You can see the squarish ends in this pic:

OK, going by what you posted and what we can see on the resin parts, it looks like KH tried to do a late version. The large conduit on the starboard pod has the squared off ends. Plus, when looking at the photos in the link Zactoman provided, it seems that the air scoop(s) was built into the mounting area of the pod. In later pods this seems to be changed to a separate air scoop as you can make out in this pic:

0.thumb.jpg.d061928bc98e092190e5930fd5ba7025.jpg

So it it still appears that one would have to scratch build the air scoop. I am also a bit confused about the "air fence" on the KH parts. That doesn't appear to be a late pod feature either.

Zactoman, have you been able to find any clear close up photos of this air scoop. On some photos it also looks like there might be an even smaller one in the same area on the port side pod.

Edited by Mstor
correct spelling error
11 hours ago, Mstor said:

So it it still appears that one would have to scratch build the air scoop. I am also a bit confused about the "air fence" on the KH parts. That doesn't appear to be a late pod feature either.

Zactoman, have you been able to find any clear close up photos of this air scoop. On some photos it also looks like there might be an even smaller one in the same area on the port side pod.

I'm reluctant to share the reference photos I've dug up until I receive my kit and make a decision whether or not to tackle the pods.

That said, the scoops and various other little features are all different left and right.

As for the "air fence", if you are referring to the long, flat, angled blades on the upper inboard areas, I'm not sure if those are some kind of antenna or an aerodynamic feature (anti-flutter?). AFAIK they first appeared on "red 31" at MAKS 2015. They then began appearing on all of the pods mid-2016.

Thank you for posting the pics of the resin! 🤢

47 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

I'm reluctant to share the reference photos I've dug up until I receive my kit and make a decision whether or not to tackle the pods.

Understood. Hope you take up the mantel.

48 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

As for the "air fence", if you are referring to the long, flat, angled blades on the upper inboard areas, I'm not sure if those are some kind of antenna or an aerodynamic feature (anti-flutter?). AFAIK they first appeared on "red 31" at MAKS 2015. They then began appearing on all of the pods mid-2016.

Yes, I looked through a number of walkarounds and photos in the thread that magman2 linked. It does appear that the "fence" like structures began to appear on photos during 2016. I don't mind admitting this is all very confusing. Its obvious that the pods have gone through a number of iterations. I personally would like the pods I use to be the current model, if such a thing can be pinned down.

I'm glad you are looking at this Zactoman, whatever your decision is regarding parts.

4 hours ago, Zactoman said:

As for the "air fence",

Are we talking about the fence on the upper surface of the wing - inboard from the tip ???

Or something else actually on the pod itself?

If the former - I spotted it on Sukhois 'dogship' Su-34 (Bort 48) at MAKS 2011 - you can just make it out - in primer - just above the wingtip launch rail...

day1_014.JPG

Here's a closer view......

su-34_fence_02.JPG

Why it is there - (along with the curved fillet between the pod and wing L/E) and not on other Flanker variants - is a mystery.

They are clearly aerodynamic 'fixes' on the Su-34 - but they don't appear on a similarly configured Su-35S......

Ken

On 7/1/2018 at 11:29 AM, kotey said:

This fences mounted starting one of Drak Eggplant Grey painting Su-34s, so not all Su-34s had it.

I think you will find that all current air-frames have been upgraded and now have the wing fences as well as the current stinger APU configuration, bumps and scoops under the fuselage and mystery holes on the top next to the v-stabs.

When was the photo you attached taken? Do you know the bort numbers of the planes in the pic?

Previously I mentioned that the upgrades were done sometime before mid-2016. I found pics of "red 02" with the upgrades from June 2015: http://www.airliners.net/search?registrationActual=RF-95802&display=detail

🛑🛑🛑 EDIT: See Kotey's posts and my reply on page 15! Crazy Russians successfully fooled me by using the same Bort numbers for multiple air-frames! Upgrades may or may not have been done...🛑🛑🛑

Edited by Zactoman

another piece of information coming from Kittyhawk you guys might want to know is about the new Engine Removal and Installation Trailer.

this has been advertised on Kittyhawk's facebook page.

43120960602_d40c9c23d6_h.jpg36339960_2113527292239218_2529697293091733504_o by Chrysostomos Deliyiannis, on Flickr

43170594741_0efe831a3b_h.jpg36357108_2113527332239214_1176503890128928768_o by Chrysostomos Deliyiannis, on Flickr

43120960672_73a3de1f31_h.jpg36320645_2113527385572542_2416770353633165312_o by Chrysostomos Deliyiannis, on Flickr

42452632544_64de81ac84_h.jpg36318547_2113527185572562_824312955494465536_o by Chrysostomos Deliyiannis, on Flickr

42452632624_40ed9be4a2_h.jpg36323011_2113527195572561_42002808764891136_o by Chrysostomos Deliyiannis, on Flickr

the estimated price for this will be around 80-90USD. (according to Kittyhawk, reply given to me by email) due to low production quantities which makes the cost higher.

2 hours ago, tomdelis said:

the estimated price for this will be around 80-90USD. (according to Kittyhawk, reply given to me by email) due to low production quantities which makes the cost higher.

That's ridiculous.

12 hours ago, Zactoman said:

I think you will find that all current air-frames have been upgraded and now have the wing fences as well as the current stinger APU configuration, bumps and scoops under the fuselage and mystery holes on the top next to the v-stabs.

When was the photo you attached taken? Do you know the bort numbers of the planes in the pic?

It is Su-34 (T-10B-21), red 04 and Su-34 (T-10B-17), red 09, both were produced in 2011, photo made in the end of 2016. Probably later during upgrade and install APU will added fence.

Which mistery hole are you mean?

hole 1.jpg

Edited by kotey
3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

That's ridiculous.

I don't see why. The market of such a product may be... dunno... 1000 boxes worldwide so the retail price has to be high to break even.