Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

9 minutes ago, kotey said:

BTW - not only Su-34s with Knibiny pods have this fences - as example - one of latest , but with launch unit - with fence 

Andrey....

Can we agree the following.....??

1. EVERY latest production Su-34 has the upper wing fence - whether fitted with Knibiny pod or with 'launch unit' (wingtip missile launch rail).

2. ONLY Su-34's fitted with Knibiny pods have the curved fillet between pod and wing tip leading edge.

Just for clarity.

Ken

1 hour ago, kotey said:

It is Su-34 (T-10B-21), red 04 and Su-34 (T-10B-17), red 09, both were produced in 2011, photo made in the end of 2016. Probably later during upgrade and install APU will added fence.

Which mistery hole are you mean?

1 hour ago, kotey said:

hole 2.jpg

This one?

Yes,  that is the mystery hole! Thank you for posting the pictures!

That vent wasn't there on the early production models but was added with the retro-fit. I wonder what it is?

"Red 04" was retro-fitted sometime before Aug. 31 2016. That is when I saved this photo (I don't know the date it were taken). I'd bet "red 09" was also retro-fitted since then.

04_post-fit1.jpg.055f08f8ef3a1a50d0c0358c8079f2fe.jpg

You can see the APU cover in the pic. You can also see the rear gear door is notched for the added humps. The scoop behind the gear well is there but barely visible.

I have another shot of it from behind that shows the wing fences have been installed.

17 minutes ago, Flankerman said:

Andrey....

Can we agree the following.....??

1. EVERY latest production Su-34 has the upper wing fence - whether fitted with Knibiny pod or with 'launch unit' (wingtip missile launch rail).

2. ONLY Su-34's fitted with Knibiny pods have the curved fillet between pod and wing tip leading edge.

Just for clarity.

Ken

I would agree with both and add that all early production aircraft have been retro-fitted to modern standards.

:cheers:

Initial Su-34s hadn't this fences, here is last Su-34s in first edition of camouflage (i'm call its camouflage type before 2011) -  

T-10B- 21 red 04, RF-95801, later RF-95803 - it were last  Su-34s with Grey RWRs, without APU and without fences.

133491.jpg

Since next Su-34 - T-10B-22, red 05, RF-95806 - first aircraft in Dark Grey painting, white RWRs, first aircraft with APU and first aircraft with fences:

176153.jpg

Probably since this Su-34 were added "mistery hole after Zactoman" too - as were add air scrops on bottom surfaces under fin - i suppose in same time added to contruction of aircraft this hole. 

After this aircraft  all Su-34s have fences, not looking to whiat mounted on the wingtips - Khibiny ECM pod or wingtip missile launcher.

About will install fences on Su-34s, early series (before T-10B-22) aircraft during upgrade or not - i'm know now - only one, which were upgraded in full scale and i know it now - T-10B-6, initial white contour board number 46, after upgrade - red 46, in its were installed all late types devices, but no fence - but this aircraft initial were upgraded not for flight, but for aviation techicans and engeneer retraining. Actually its were about 10 serial "early" Su-34s without APU and all later devices now operate in RuAF, so its not so nesseasy in hurry uprade its to new level. And more, than 100 "late" Su-34s now in operation.

You can ask -  why i know all this - its easy,  just now i'm work about Su-34 decal instruction, so i'm made a "family tree" scheme and collect all photos of all Su-34s in chronologycal order.

_DSC1345.jpg

Edited by kotey
3 minutes ago, kotey said:

i'm work about Su-34 decal instruction

Glad to hear you're doing decals for the Su-34. Looking forward to them. I knew it was only a matter of time. :clap2:

Chris, this is another one Su-34 with board number 04, on my photo - T-10B-21 with grey RWRs, on you photo - T10B-87 - with white RWRs, 

83996d1519064601-savx7219-1-.jpg

1472978897_20160708_190457.jpg

11 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Glad to hear you're doing decals for the Su-34. Looking forward to them. I knew it was only a matter of time. :clap2:

Yes, i'm fully finished Su-34 1-72 decal design, now i'm  "polished" instruction - if you will wake up me in 2 o'clock of night  and ask "what differences between T-10B-21 and T-10B-87" - i'm even can ask you, if you are not Western spy. Now i'm wait Kittyhawk sprues for fit some decal elements to this model too, not only to HobbyBoss - after this i can finished 1-48 decal design.

72-067%20Su-34%20preview.jpg

3 hours ago, Laurent said:

I don't see why. The market of such a product may be... dunno... 1000 boxes worldwide so the retail price has to be high to break even.

Suffice it to say it will not be on my shopping list.

3 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Yes,  that is the mystery hole! Thank you for posting the pictures!

That vent wasn't there on the early production models but was added with the retro-fit. I wonder what it is?

Chris,

The two vents just inboard of the fins are just above the new intakes on the underside (which required the cutout in the main gear door) - so maybe they are the outlets for some heat exchanger system??

I scratched the intakes on my Italeri Su-34 'upgrade'..... (not very well!)

Photo%20018.JPG

... but completely missed the upper outlets and gear door cutout.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
3 hours ago, kotey said:

Initial Su-34s hadn't this fences, here is last Su-34s in first edition of camouflage (i'm call its camouflage type before 2011) -  

T-10B- 21 red 04, RF-95801, later RF-95803 - it were last  Su-34s with Grey RWRs, without APU and without fences.

Since next Su-34 - T-10B-22, red 05, RF-95806 - first aircraft in Dark Grey painting, white RWRs, first aircraft with APU and first aircraft with fences:

Probably since this Su-34 were added "mistery hole after Zactoman" too - as were add air scrops on bottom surfaces under fin - i suppose in same time added to contruction of aircraft this hole. 

After this aircraft  all Su-34s have fences, not looking to whiat mounted on the wingtips - Khibiny ECM pod or wingtip missile launcher.

About will install fences on Su-34s, early series (before T-10B-22) aircraft during upgrade or not - i'm know now - only one, which were upgraded in full scale and i know it now - T-10B-6, initial white contour board number 46, after upgrade - red 46, in its were installed all late types devices, but no fence - but this aircraft initial were upgraded not for flight, but for aviation techicans and engeneer retraining. Actually its were about 10 serial "early" Su-34s without APU and all later devices now operate in RuAF, so its not so nesseasy in hurry uprade its to new level. And more, than 100 "late" Su-34s now in operation.

You can ask -  why i know all this - its easy,  just now i'm work about Su-34 decal instruction, so i'm made a "family tree" scheme and collect all photos of all Su-34s in chronologycal order.

OK, this is a new twist for me. I assumed (wrongly) that since there were so few Su-34s that they each received a unique Bort number. Apparently this is not the case and there are multiple air-frames with the same Bort.

I assumed seeing the early Bort number with the modern upgrades that the planes had been retro=fitted and modernized. Apparently that is not the case(?). :hmmm:

Here is a Russian website that lists Bort numbers. I had bookmarked it but never paid much attention http://forums.airforce.ru/matchast/6898-su-34-istoriya-serii/

If I'm reading this right there were at least 5 different Bort "red 04" air-frames:

RF-92252 - Series #2 (Camouflage)

RF-95801 - Series #2 (Camouflage)

RF-#####(?) - Series #4 (Gray)

RF-81710 - Series #7 (Camouflage)

RF-? - Series #8 (Camouflage)

Russians never make anything easy... :bandhead2:

Disregard all my previous posts! :doh:

RF-92252 is listed as "current status": Учебное пособие в ВАИУ - (а/д Балтимор). Google translated this as: Textbook in the VAIU - (Baltimore airport). "Textbook"? Is a better translation that it is used for training?

26 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

RF-92252 is listed as "current status": Учебное пособие в ВАИУ - (а/д Балтимор). Google translated this as: Textbook in the VAIU - (Baltimore airport). "Textbook"? Is a better translation that it is used for training?

I'd translate it as "training aid".

Great info here thanks to everyone for sharing.

The 34 seems like it is rapidly still undergoing both small and larger mdifications while still flying busily.

No doubt this makes it a pretty difficult target not just for manufacturers but us as well if you want one spot on.

Would one of our 34 gurus be able to highlight what is needed to be done for a Syrian ops 34?

Fences, fairngs,exhausts etc etc...

PS has anyne tried the fit of the SAC SU-34 landing gear for the HB kit on the KH one?

1 hour ago, dehowie said:

PS has anyne tried the fit of the SAC SU-34 landing gear for the HB kit on the KH one?

I wouldn't touch SAC gear even with a mile long stick.

How annoying is that Hawk?

25621.jpg

...regardless though, even just for the ridiculous HB price, this would be the winner for me...

Edited by DIO
55 minutes ago, Helmsman said:

I wouldn't touch SAC gear even with a mile long stick.

...and not only for this one, but generally speaking. In most cases they are bad copies of the plastic ones, made of soft metal that cannot hold the model's weight. In most cases the ones that come with the model are far better.

This is so bad, since they had started so promising!

Yes, Chris, russians did all for confuse western modellers and producers.

I would say in this case - учебное пособие - land (non flying) testbed for retraining future technicans and engeneers. 

I can say you more - even RF-XXXXX register can be moved from one aircraft to another in same regiment and even transfert to other type of aircraft. As example - same T-10B-21 Su-34 -  code RF-95803 in different time used on Mi-8 helicopter, Su-34 with board number 03 and only after this to Su-34 with board number 04. 

https://russianplanes.net/regs/RF-95803

To dehowie - in Syria used many Su-34s, which operated from 6 to 12 monthes and then return to homebase, so you better find exactly photos of Su-34s in Syria:

first group were 4 Su-34s in Dark Grey painitng with all new devices, RuAF insignia temporary were painted over for few weeks.

in second group were added 3 Su-34s in Dark Grey painting and one in camouflage - T-10B-20. red board number 03, Grey RWRs and without new devices (early type)

After this i Syria operated many Su-34s late type in camouflage painting with all new devices. All of its had mission marks.

Edited by kotey
7 hours ago, magman2 said:

Kotey, Nice to see your new 1/72 Su-34 decals. any release date ?

1-72 i hope in the end of this summer, 1-48 - during autumn 2018.

On 7/4/2018 at 1:40 PM, kotey said:

To dehowie - in Syria used many Su-34s, which operated from 6 to 12 monthes and then return to homebase, so you better find exactly photos of Su-34s in Syria:

first group were 4 Su-34s in Dark Grey painitng with all new devices, RuAF insignia temporary were painted over for few weeks.

in second group were added 3 Su-34s in Dark Grey painting and one in camouflage - T-10B-20. red board number 03, Grey RWRs and without new devices (early type)

After this i Syria operated many Su-34s late type in camouflage painting with all new devices. All of its had mission marks.

Thanks very much.

Yea it seems like the variety of both colours and aircraft mod status makes getting good photos super important.

Thanks

On 6/23/2018 at 6:33 AM, Mstor said:

I've placed an order from a eBay vendor in Poland, faster shipping than the first eBay vendor. Getting both the Russian Aircraft Blue 1 and the "Previous Blue" (weird name) which is even darker. Will still take a few eeeks to get here, but then I be able to test the paint.

Back to colors for the "Eggplant" scheme. I received the Mr Color 40th Anniversary paint and got some of AKAN's version. I already had the MRP paint. So, here is a VERY informal comparison of the paints. These are small samples painted on white plastic in a fairly heavy opaque coat. The pics are taken with my Samsung pad.

20180706_115040

You can see that the MRP is the darkest. The photo makes it look darker than in person. At this opacity there is very little of the "purple" tint to it. Just an extremely dark bluish grey.

The Mr Color paint has more blue tint to it and actually looks a bit darker in person than in the pic. Definitely different than what the photo of it in the bottle shows.

The AKAN paint is the lightest. A simple dark blue-grey. Looks very similar to Gunship grey. It looks a little bit darker in person.

Which is closest. Difficult to tell. I really like the way the Mr Color paint looks. I think the MRP color will vary depending on how much paint you apply. Going by other's photos, it does seem to have a purplish cast to it. The AKAN paint also looks close to the real thing,  but I personally think it looks a bit too light.

So take this for what it's worth. It is the best I could do with the equipment I have on hand.

On 7/4/2018 at 1:11 PM, DIO said:

How annoying is that Hawk?

25621.jpg

...regardless though, even just for the ridiculous HB price, this would be the winner for me...

1 hour ago, DIO said:

Can you pls check if the problem I have mentioned above is happening? I hope it is not only on my example.

Will check tomorrow Dio. Almost time for bed :sleeping:

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

Back to colors for the "Eggplant" scheme. I received the Mr Color 40th Anniversary paint and got some of AKAN's version. I already had the MRP paint. So, here is a VERY informal comparison of the paints. These are small samples painted on white plastic in a fairly heavy opaque coat. The pics are taken with my Samsung pad.

20180706_115040

You can see that the MRP is the darkest. The photo makes it look darker than in person. At this opacity there is very little of the "purple" tint to it. Just an extremely dark bluish grey.

The Mr Color paint has more blue tint to it and actually looks a bit darker in person than in the pic. Definitely different than what the photo of it in the bottle shows.

The AKAN paint is the lightest. A simple dark blue-grey. Looks very similar to Gunship grey. It looks a little bit darker in person.

Which is closest. Difficult to tell. I really like the way the Mr Color paint looks. I think the MRP color will vary depending on how much paint you apply. Going by other's photos, it does seem to have a purplish cast to it. The AKAN paint also looks close to the real thing,  but I personally think it looks a bit too light.

So take this for what it's worth. It is the best I could do with the equipment I have on hand.

Do you still have plans to compare it with Mr. Color's #05 Previous Blue? If I'm not mistaken that's what you mentioned before. But from the swatches that you've provided, I think Akan is the closest,  just my personal opinion. I still have the shades of the jet vividly in my mind  that's why it's very easy to pick out the closest from the samples you've just given. Many thanks for your effort to share them here on ARC!

Edited by flybywire
5 minutes ago, flybywire said:

Do you still have plans to compare it with Mr. Color's #05 Previous Blue? If I'm not mistaken that's what you mentioned before. But from the swatches that you've provided, I think Akan is the closest,  just my personal opinion. I still have the shades of the jet vividly in my mind  that's why it's very easy to pick out the closest from the samples you've just given. Many thanks for your effort to share them here on ARC!

The Previous Blue color turned out to just be a gloss dark violet-blue. Not a dark blue-grey so nothing to do with the Su-34.

The AKAN color does look very close to many of the photos, but as I mentioned, it is actually lighter than what my pics show. I wish I had the equipment and knowledge to take more accurate photos.

Edited by Mstor