Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

On 7/3/2018 at 10:11 PM, DIO said:

How annoying is that Hawk?

25621.jpg

...regardless though, even just for the ridiculous HB price, this would be the winner for me...

I got two Su-34 and they too have the same problem. That problem is with the multi-part molds not lining up. How bad it is depends on the company and how they design their molds, with KH it happens often, Trumpeter/HB sometimes depending on the kit, while others like GWH and AMK it is barely noticeable or hide it between panel lines.

Edited by Inquisitor
45 minutes ago, Inquisitor said:

I got two Su-34 and they too have the same problem. That problem is with the multi-part molds not lining up. How bad it is depends on the company and how they design their molds, with KH it happens often, Trumpeter/HB sometimes depending on the kit, while others like GWH and AMK it is barely noticeable or hide it between panel lines.

Even Tamiya's F-14 has some faint lines from molds that need cleaning up. Nothing like these on the KH kit.

5 hours ago, Mstor said:

The Previous Blue color turned out to just be a gloss dark violet-blue. Not a dark blue-grey so nothing to do with the Su-34.

The AKAN color does look very close to many of the photos, but as I mentioned, it is actually lighter than what my pics show. I wish I had the equipment and knowledge to take more accurate photos.

Thank you for showing the comparison. I believe our Russian friend was no doubt correct (via computer monitor anyway) that the RAL color will be the closest match. I'm uncertain if I'll go to the trouble of finding it though. I might work to play with the MRP in hopes to lighten it some.

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I might work to play with the MRP in hopes to lighten it some.

I did apply a very heavy coat of the MRP paint. I didn't want any of the white plastic showing through (MRP paints can be a bit translucent as they are so thin). I think it might look a bit lighter when sprayed on to model using just the normal two or three passes with the airbrush.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

I did apply a very heavy coat of the MRP paint. I didn't want any of the white plastic showing through (MRP paints can be a bit translucent as they are so thin). I think it might look a bit lighter when sprayed on to model using just the normal two or three passes with the airbrush.

You're right about the Translucent part. I used it on Tamiya's big Strike Eagle and I was touching up the project due to the dark colored plastic a week after. I did like the fact that I had no need to prime the kit however. Do you have any FS 36081 on hand? I would be interested in seeing that color compared as well. That would be the "Dark Gunship Gray".

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
18 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Do you have any FS 36081 on hand? I would be interested in seeing that color compared as well. That would be the "Dark Gunship Gray".

Don't think so, but will double-check. If I have it I'll do a paint sample to compare.

12 hours ago, DIO said:

Can you pls check if the problem I have mentioned above is happening? I hope it is not only on my example.

Yep! Same thing, on both sides of the fuselage. How nice. Oh well, sanding and rescribing and re-riveting. What fun :bandhead2:

6 hours ago, Mstor said:

Yep! Same thing, on both sides of the fuselage. How nice. Oh well, sanding and rescribing and re-riveting. What fun :bandhead2:

I wonder what is better in this case. To fill in the area going back and re-scribe etc, or just level plastic and re-scribe going to the front.

Yes, my English, I know lol

Edited by DIO
2 hours ago, DIO said:

I wonder what is better in this case. To fill in the area going back and re-scribe etc, or just level plastic and re-scribe going to the front.

Yes, my English, I know lol

Your English is fine. I understand the question completely. I think I will cross that bridge when I get to it (i.e. I am putting off that decision till later :whistle:).

8 hours ago, DIO said:

Sanding the front part is an easy way to fix this; just re-scribe a little deep the panel lines before sanding and then you have just to restore a few rivets.

I used a tiny piece of sanding paper held with flat tweezer to minimize the area involved. 

I am confused, doesn’’t this kit build itself into the latest modded Su-34 with correct color schemes to match all photos in any lighting conditions?   I guess I will have to shake the box and see for myself!🤣🤣

John

2 hours ago, Raptor01 said:

I am confused, doesn’’t this kit build itself into the latest modded Su-34 with correct color schemes to match all photos in any lighting conditions?

You can buy HobbyBoss that comes out of box self built and wih a couple of "best of show" prizes too...

1 hour ago, Andrea Bolla said:

You can buy HobbyBoss that comes out of box self built and wih a couple of "best of show" prizes too...

Not quite. The nose needs to be replaced with an aftermarket correction part.

I know, its all just minor inconveniences. Most easily corrected or overcome. It just that there are SO many of them and so many completely avoidable on Kitty Hawk's part. It like death by a thousand cuts. Don't get me wrong. I still think this is, overall, going to be a good kit despite the many little obstacles. I guess we should just learn to expect this from KH, but I, for one, would like to see them learn from their past mistakes and show some greater improvement in the overall quality of their kits. I think they have improved, but not as fast as I think they could.

In the end, I am glad that KH is there, making kits of subjects that other kit makers have avoided, doing a fairly decent job of it and offering the kits at reasonable prices. (just compare the price of their Su-34 to Hobby Boss's kit which had its own problems).

2 hours ago, flanker27 said:

why no thanks for Hobbyboss Su-34? If hobbyboss never release their Su-34, can you imagine what Kittyhawk Su-34 will look like? competition is always good.

Tis true.

9 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Very true! Hobbyboss/Trumpeter is the leader in the current scale model renascence. 

I'd say they were as TrumpyBoss show no sign of improvement when it comes to accuracy. Some kits are ok but a number of recent kits have irritating issues. Sea Vixen's under wings decals colour, Tucano (British decal option but no plastic parts corresponding to a Short Tucano, flat top wing), Boulton-Paul Defiant front fuselage shape, MiG-23BN and Su-17 front fuselage and canopy, etc.

Silly mistakes for KH, that practically show that the kit has never been built as a prototype, before allowing a full scale production.

I can blame HB for their inaccuracies, but in my mind the mistakes at such basic scale modeling features is far worse and such a let down.

I did buy KH though, because I have the basic skills that will result in an acceptable model. But If I had to buy a present for an inexperienced modeller, I would definitely not buy this one...

On the other hand, so many parts already indicate that this is not meant to be for an inexperienced modeler...

What can I say... At least it is better to discuss which is the better one, rather than if any 1/48 example will be released!!!

Today i'm start design decal for Su-34 in 1-48 scale - and find some mistakes - KH used for board numbers in decal "Su-35 style" digits, but for Su-34 use other style digits, and NO STEP zone is enlarged - i'm not recieve KH Su-34 model yet, but after this i'll check this elements. This zones placed presise over main gear wheels cover casing panele.

Su-34%20KH%20decal.jpg

Edited by kotey
11 hours ago, Laurent said:

I'd say they were as TrumpyBoss show no sign of improvement when it comes to accuracy. Some kits are ok but a number of recent kits have irritating issues. Sea Vixen's under wings decals colour, Tucano (British decal option but no plastic parts corresponding to a Short Tucano, flat top wing), Boulton-Paul Defiant front fuselage shape, MiG-23BN and Su-17 front fuselage and canopy, etc.

I didn't mean "leader" as in accuracy. Their appetite for designing new models has been tremendous. They have designed so many models for the last decade no one else even comes to close. I think they created a vigor in the market and in the hobby. 10 years ago we had much fewer subjects and model companies.