Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

6 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

I didn't mean "leader" as in accuracy. Their appetite for designing new models has been tremendous. They have designed so many models for the last decade no one else even comes to close. I think they created a vigor in the market and in the hobby. 10 years ago we had much fewer subjects and model companies.   

Word!

35 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

I didn't mean "leader" as in accuracy. Their appetite for designing new models has been tremendous. They have designed so many models for the last decade no one else even comes to close. I think they created a vigor in the market and in the hobby. 10 years ago we had much fewer subjects and model companies.   

How do they manage to be so successful?

"Volume, Volume, Volume!

:whistle:

I have asked the question of MCW Finishes about doing RAL 7015 in their "acrylic lacquer" series. (mcwfinishes.com) It looks like they would be able to do it. Maybe if a few more were to ask about it, it would give the impetus to move on it?

M

On 7/8/2018 at 2:59 PM, DIO said:

Not quite. The nose needs to be replaced with an aftermarket correction part.

Thought he was joking, so I replied with a joke too...

Maybe KH molding quality is not top notch (not just the slide joint, surface detail quality is not homogeneous) and they also took strange decisions in part subdivision but overall shape is good (much better than the dildo shaped HB nose); price tag is also better for the KH kit (considering that half plastic weight and box dimension is just for weapons...).

I think Kitty Hawk has "cleaned up" their Facebook page a bit. I have started my build and went looking for some of the comments with photos that compare the instruction errors to the kit itself. Other posts that were bashing Kitty Hawk regarding their delays etc., seem to be gone as well. Anyhow, I can say that the instruction errors are a pain. The work around's for some of the errors are an easy fix. I happened upon the control sticks this afternoon and they are short shot. The boot is completely missing. I'll have to make them out of putty. The engines are not much fun ito assemble either. I will not open the panels for them. It is not a Tamiya or GWH etc. I expect this one will be more work, but hey, its part of the hobby.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:44 AM, Andrea Bolla said:

Thought he was joking, so I replied with a joke too...

Maybe KH molding quality is not top notch (not just the slide joint, surface detail quality is not homogeneous) and they also took strange decisions in part subdivision but overall shape is good (much better than the dildo shaped HB nose); price tag is also better for the KH kit (considering that half plastic weight and box dimension is just for weapons...).

Word!

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I think Kitty Hawk has "cleaned up" their Facebook page a bit. I have started my build and went looking for some of the comments with photos that compare the instruction errors to the kit itself. Other posts that were bashing Kitty Hawk regarding their delays etc., seem to be gone as well. Anyhow, I can say that the instruction errors are a pain. The work around's for some of the errors are an easy fix. I happened upon the control sticks this afternoon and they are short shot. The boot is completely missing. I'll have to make them out of putty. The engines are not much fun ito assemble either. I will not open the panels for them. It is not a Tamiya or GWH etc. I expect this one will be more work, but hey, its part of the hobby.

I reckon KH models are a better version of the old Century Monogram series, that I am still so much in love with. Needs a lot of extra effort but produces a descent model in the end.  People complaining that with today's standards this is a let down, might do have a point, but not a big deal for an experienced modeled with 5-10 models under his belt.

Mr Matt Foley, you are right, the way they built the engines is ridiculous. But not much can be seen from the fuselage panels anyway. If you want to buy the (VERY expensive) trolley to display them out of the fuselage, then they will need some extra work to reach an acceptable result.

Once again, typical KH: Not bad, but not perfect either....

10 hours ago, DIO said:

I reckon KH models are a better version of the old Century Monogram series, that I am still so much in love with. Needs a lot of extra effort but produces a descent model in the end.  People complaining that with today's standards this is a let down, might do have a point, but not a big deal for an experienced modeled with 5-10 models under his belt.

Mr Matt Foley, you are right, the way they built the engines is ridiculous. But not much can be seen from the fuselage panels anyway. If you want to buy the (VERY expensive) trolley to display them out of the fuselage, then they will need some extra work to reach an acceptable result.

Once again, typical KH: Not bad, but not perfect either....

I have to wonder if the trolley also includes the truck?

10 hours ago, DIO said:

the way they built the engines is ridiculous.

What's ridiculous ? The fact that the main body is split in three parts ? If so that's how undercuts are managed in injected plastic. GWH MiG-29s or F-15s engine nozzles also have strange cutouts for the same reason. What I find ridiculous is the fact of providing engines but I guess it pleases some people.

5 hours ago, Laurent said:

What's ridiculous ? The fact that the main body is split in three parts ? If so that's how undercuts are managed in injected plastic. GWH MiG-29s or F-15s engine nozzles also have strange cutouts for the same reason. What I find ridiculous is the fact of providing engines but I guess it pleases some people.

I agree (why make the engines). But....if they are making the engines in 3 major components, they need to provide a better alignment system. I assembled them once and then had to saw through them, separate them and do it a second time to clean them up. That is on me I guess, but those with the kit should come up with a plan for clamping and securing them after gluing in order to maintain the correct shape. It would be fabulous to see an aftermarket engine instead.

Speaking of aftermarket...I should receive my resin pods and crew today. Good customer service from Kitty Hawk as far as speed of shipment. $26 in addition to Sprue Bros cost and shipping sucks.

EDIT: I now have the pods in hand and hope to use them as a base for the actual pods. I plan to sand/shave one of the to get rid or the "mirrored" effect and maybe work on other details. I will not need the ground crew or the extra set of nozzles I  have if anyone wants to take them off my hands.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
Additional Info
1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Speaking of aftermarket...I should receive my resin pods and crew today. Good customer service from Kitty Hawk as far as speed of shipment. $26 in addition to Sprue Bros cost and shipping sucks.

Still not sure how useful the KH pods are going to be. I hope someone will find some better pics of the pods currently in use. I am pretty sure the KH pods are not completely accurate in that regard. Of course, I am very hopeful that a certain aftermarket maker will be creating some accurate pods for us soon. That would solve that problem once and for all.

You can made one from Su-34's which known at nowdays with any type of weapon from this decal. Instruction consist only 28 markings, but its show only all main and typical aircrafts, but you can made model any of 119 Su-34s, which produced at today. There is T-10B-119, untill end of 2018 there will be about 125-130 Su-34s

7mhhR6MnymY.jpg

A

21 minutes ago, kotey said:

You can made one from Su-34's which known at nowdays with any type of weapon from this decal. Instruction consist only 28 markings, but its show only all main and typical aircrafts, but you can made model any of 119 Su-34s, which produced at today. There is T-10B-119, untill end of 2018 there will be about 125-130 Su-34s

Andrey, will they include Paint reference as well?

Russian enamels not siuted (or wery rare) by FS or RAL, and especially don't coincide to model enamels. As for Su-33 - its upgrade of repaint is not so frequent event - its enamel is non-standard even for RuAF colours.

2 hours ago, kotey said:

7mhhR6MnymY.jpg

Well, there goes the thought I’d be doing the eggplant scheme! 

5 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Wow! that's a lot of decals! How many air frames are covered? 

4 hours ago, kotey said:

So, basically all of them :clap2:

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

Huh? Why for evilmedic13?

The eggplant looked good but, it. Kotey makes the decals for that particular  jet, then I’ll switch my plans. That is the only multi color 34 I ever went “ooh!” for.