Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

1 hour ago, Petarvu said:

I hope 1/48 will be better, I am almost sure they will follow Su-35 wingtip ECM with new Su-34 vers. That will solve the problem...

I trust Zactomodels will have a highly accurate product that will be well vetted prior to release. I also prefer the Zacto method of attachment which will make the potential of removal during transport to shows etc., much safer.

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I trust Zactomodels will have a highly accurate product that will be well vetted prior to release. I also prefer the Zacto method of attachment which will make the potential of removal during transport to shows etc., much safer.

I agree on this, but I do like the colored clear resin lights on the Amigo ones. I sure that is something that Zactoman won't want to mess with though.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:08 AM, Zactoman said:

Of course, the good pics are published after I made the difficult details...

As Andrey said, these Russians are trying hard to complicate modeller's life. The latest rumor is the new version of Khibiny pods being installed on Su-34s. And yes, they are different shape.

Superb photos to work with and have during my build.

Input needed: To my eyes it appears as though the underside of the fuselage which is bare metal on other Su-27, 30,35 et.al is painted on the 34? When you look at the transition  it certainly looks as though it is painted a light gray color versus being bare metal. Any thoughts?

jpeg&tknv=v2&size=2372x1462

You are correct - the nacelles are painted silver grey on the underside - with the topsides in camo colour.

I have never understood why they can apply paint to the nacelles on the Su-34 - but all other Flankers have bare metal.

Do the AL-31 engines on the Su-34 run cooler ???

Why can't other Flankers be painted? - it would make life so much easier for us modellers trying to replicate the multi-hued titanium nacelles.

Ken

3 hours ago, Flankerman said:

You are correct - the nacelles are painted silver grey on the underside - with the topsides in camo colour.

I have never understood why they can apply paint to the nacelles on the Su-34 - but all other Flankers have bare metal.

Do the AL-31 engines on the Su-34 run cooler ???

Why can't other Flankers be painted? - it would make life so much easier for us modellers trying to replicate the multi-hued titanium nacelles.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Any ideas on a single color match?

4 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Superb photos to work with and have during my build.

Input needed: To my eyes it appears as though the underside of the fuselage which is bare metal on other Su-27, 30,35 et.al is painted on the 34? When you look at the transition  it certainly looks as though it is painted a light gray color versus being bare metal. Any thoughts?

I'm not seeing your photos.

In any case, I had the same question in the back of my mind. Thanks for asking it and getting the answer :thumbsup2:

Not only is it painted a silver grey color, but it looks like the area is primed too. I found a couple of photos like the one linked below that show the silver grey paint peeling off to reveal the primer underneath. I would have thought the silver grey to be some sort of special heat resistant paint that would be applied directly to the bare metal. Guess not, but then why paint it silver grey in the first place? I'm confused.

https://flic.kr/p/297FHU3

Edited by Mstor
11 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I'm not seeing your photos.

In any case, I had the same question in the back of my mind. Thanks for asking it and getting the answer :thumbsup2:

Yeah, I probably did a no no and direct linked to the images.

5 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Yeah, I probably did a no no and direct linked to the images.

I almost did the same thing just now. Had to go back and remove the hotlink and put in a regular link the photo (airliners.net stuff). Oh well :dontknow:

1 minute ago, kotey said:

Yes, this engile nascelles initially primed and after this painted in Aluminium emanel

Then why not just paint them the same color as the rest of the fuselage bottom? Don't make sense to me :hmmm:

15 minutes ago, kotey said:

This paint stronger to attrition, heat-resistant and steady against drips of oil, fuel and hydroliquids

Thanks Andrey. The primer must be some pretty tough stuff too if it is painted under the heat-resistant paint, but from the photos I have mentioned, they must have had some problems with a batch of paint or something that caused all the peeling and chipping to occur.

19 minutes ago, kotey said:

Mstor - main purpose of this paint - easy wash of liquids drips.

Here id differenf of nascelles paint and stabs steel casing

Thanks again, great photos!

38 minutes ago, kotey said:

On stabs - steel metal casing, not paint, its prevent damage casing of stabs during heavy missile firing.

That's the first rational explanation of why the bare steel areas on the stabs that I heard. Always wondered as it was too far from the engine exhausts to be related to that. Thanks yet again! :gr_hail:

Edited by Mstor

Whistle........... :whistle:

But it still begs the question - why on the Su-34 and not other Flankers ????

And.......

Why are the topside titanium nacelle areas painted in camo colours on the Su-34 and not on other Flankers??

Is it just a devious Russian plot to confuse us poor modellers ???

Ken

Only one explanation - Su-34 produced at Novosibirsk and this Sukhoi bureau division had it own look to painting schemes of aircraft.

Edited by kotey
On 8/15/2018 at 11:31 PM, Helmsman said:

As Andrey said, these Russians are trying hard to complicate modeller's life. The latest rumor is the new version of Khibiny pods being installed on Su-34s. And yes, they are different shape.

Yes, we, Russians such: sleep and dream - how to confuse somebody else, new L-265M10-02 Khibiny-M pod - new shape of RWR cones, this pods will use since 2019-2020:

attachment.php?attachmentid=262326&d=153