Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

They sold 2 sets and pulled the listing!

I think they are getting another shipment soon. My package from them got lost for about a month. Just seemed to disappear after it left China. They were going to ship me a new set as soon as the new shipment came in but then, miraculously, the package reappeared in Chicago a few days ago. Anyway, I sent Sophia (very nice lady at  Kitty Hawk) a message asking if they are still getting more in. Oh course, looking at the listing, it was for a pre-sale, so the shipment Sophia mentioned may already be spoken for. I'll let you know what she says.

Mark

4 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

They sold 2 sets and pulled the listing!

I got a reply from Kitty Hawk. As I feared, they sold out of the April shipment fast. The next shipment is due in May. Sophia said it takes a lot of time to produce these "Bronze metal parts". Considering their quality, I am not surprised.

P.S. Here's a review with pics on Britmodeller:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235050348-su-34-metal-landing-gear-and-exhausts-mt-02/

Edited by Mstor
6 hours ago, Mstor said:

I got a reply from Kitty Hawk. As I feared, they sold out of the April shipment fast. The next shipment is due in May. Sophia said it takes a lot of time to produce these "Bronze metal parts". Considering their quality, I am not surprised.

P.S. Here's a review with pics on Britmodeller:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235050348-su-34-metal-landing-gear-and-exhausts-mt-02/

Yeah, I've been following Mike's build on Britmodeller. That's where I first saw them. I do have a set of the brass ones from G factor but they do not include the front gear. Very nice legs though. On another topic the guys at The Modelling News just posted a continuation of their Kitty Hawk build today as well!

55 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Yeah, I've been following Mike's build on Britmodeller. That's where I first saw them. I do have a set of the brass ones from G factor but they do not include the front gear. Very nice legs though. On another topic the guys at The Modelling News just posted a continuation of their Kitty Hawk build today as well!

Thanks for the info about The Modeling News. Good build info there.

51 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Thanks for the info about The Modeling News. Good build info there.

You Bettcha! Also, it was my understanding that the brass parts from Kitty Hawk were to come with the Version 2.0 of the Su-34 Kit. No word from Song or others on when that might be. They're popping out some pics now of the Mirage 2000 molds. Hope to see that by summers end.

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

You Bettcha! Also, it was my understanding that the brass parts from Kitty Hawk were to come with the Version 2.0 of the Su-34 Kit. No word from Song or others on when that might be. They're popping out some pics now of the Mirage 2000 molds. Hope to see that by summers end.

I don't know. Doesn't sound like they can produce these metal parts too fast, but who knows. Saw the pics of the Mirage. So many nice 1/32 scale kits now. Shame, I just don't have room for them.

I'm sure my comment will offend a few people that await the next new novelty AM or extra bling out of the box, but those bronze exhaust nozzles don't make much sense.

Yes, they have better detail than their older resin ones included in the kit. Yes, their lips are really thin,  yet the amur reaver and amigo models ones are just as detailed if not more and the lips are also pretty thin. And if you say it's because thin resin ones could be damaged in transit, should I remind you KH already shipped theirs in thermoformed plastic boxes to protect them and now their bronze ones too? And the AMUR/Amigo ones weren't easily damaged either. The bronze ones from photos also seem to have a lot of imperfections in the lip area between outer and inner petals. Also being bronze and pretty heavy 8gr/cm^3 vs resin 1.1gr/cm^3, despite flankers not being inherently tail sitters, you're adding unnecessary weight to the back end.

And of course it takes a lot of time to make them, let's just say if their bronze is being cast via lost wax process, they're doing something in 3 or 5 times more steps and cost than a resin piece. Dunno, I feel like it's an extension to their overengineering and not throughly thought out stuff...

And no, I'm only criticizing their bronze nozzles, not the landing gear legs.

Edited by Inquisitor
6 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

I'm sure my comment will offend a few people that await the next new novelty AM or extra bling out of the box, but those bronze exhaust nozzles don't make much sense.

Yes, they have better detail than their older resin ones included in the kit. Yes, their lips are really thin,  yet the amur reaver and amigo models ones are just as detailed if not more and the lips are also pretty thin. And if you say it's because thin resin ones could be damaged in transit, should I remind you KH already shipped theirs in thermoformed plastic boxes to protect them and now their bronze ones too? And the AMUR/Amigo ones weren't easily damaged either. The bronze ones from photos also seem to have a lot of imperfections in the lip area between outer and inner petals. Also being bronze and pretty heavy 8gr/cm^3 vs resin 1.1gr/cm^3, despite flankers not being inherently tail sitters, you're adding unnecessary weight to the back end.

And of course it takes a lot of time to make them, let's just say if their bronze is being cast via lost wax process, they're doing something in 3 or 5 times more steps and cost than a resin piece. Dunno, I feel like it's an extension to their overengineering and not throughly thought out stuff...

And no, I'm only criticizing their bronze nozzles, not the landing gear legs.

Yeah, I'm not much for the nozzles either. I bought the Amigo offering, but....I'll find use for them later...maybe.

• 3 months later...

The Tempmodels site has pics of the actual parts (at least they look like them to me). Those and Zactomodels look neck and neck on detailing with Zactomodels edging out Tempmodels just a little bit (IMHO). Zactomodels includes anti-flutter fences and newer nose cone options. Tempmodels has nice protective covers for the nose cones. Both very nice indeed. I think the Tempmodels will probably be a better deal for non-US customers as Zactoman's are only available directly from the Zactoman himself and shipping overseas is not cheap.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

The Tempmodels site has pics of the actual parts (at least they look like them to me). Those and Zactomodels look neck and neck on detailing with Zactomodels edging out Tempmodels just a little bit (IMHO). Zactomodels includes anti-flutter fences and newer nose cone options. Tempmodels has nice protective covers for the nose cones. Both very nice indeed. I think the Tempmodels will probably be a better deal for non-US customers as Zactoman's are only available directly from the Zactoman himself and shipping overseas is not cheap.

I agree. TempModels are not cheap for Russia either.

g04937_6995571.jpg

Edited by Denis Bugakov
9 minutes ago, Denis Bugakov said:

I agree. TempModels are not cheap for Russia either.

Really? Going on exchange rates, the kit costs about $14 (900 rubles) and they state that shipping in Russia starts at about 240 rubles ($3.68) and goes up based on mass of package. Sounds about equal to shipping a product within the USA. What were you expecting it to cost? Zactoman's set is more expensive than the Temp Models set. It costs $18.00. To me, that's just about right for very high quality aftermarket parts. Look at KA-Models' exhaust sets. You pay a premium price for those, but they are arguably the best exhaust sets available and, to me, well worth the cost.

Amigo, Advanced Modeling and ResKit are all excellent aftermarket companies. All excellent looking products. I've been getting some ResKit and Advanced through various US vendors that distribute their products, but usually use The48ers, who sell all three. Excellent products. So much good stuff, so little money :crying2:

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

Amigo, Advanced Modeling and ResKit are all excellent aftermarket companies. All excellent looking products. I've been getting some ResKit and Advanced through various US vendors that distribute their products, but usually use The48ers, who sell all three. Excellent products. So much good stuff, so little money :crying2:

Order on their website with delivery. They are very good and fast.

g04937_6995571.jpg