Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

2 hours ago, evilmedic13 said:

The eggplant looked good but, it. Kotey makes the decals for that particular  jet, then I’ll switch my plans. That is the only multi color 34 I ever went “ooh!” for. 

You mean the one with the large emblem on the left side. It does look very cool. I can see your reason now.

As always - it is corporate conspiracy between model and decal producers for increase sell of model. All did for one way - you will want biuld not one model... 

How about this Su-34 in camouflage with Su-24M pilot name, who were killed in Syria - on both boards:

214241.jpg

Or how about heavy weathering eggplant scheme Su-34 after Syria with with traces of shading and later washing insignia:

233306.jpg

Edited by kotey

Nice Andrey. I'm interested in current operational paint scheme (Dark Grey) with plenty of mission markings.

I am also interested in-theater weapons load outs for the Su-34.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
Add

Dark grey - mid production, form T-10B-22 to T-10B-45, only 23 aircrafts, one of its were damaged at landing and still in non-fly conditon, all Su-34s after this again painted in blue-green camouflage - about 75 aircrafts at nowdays. In Syria operated Su-34s in both paintings - in Dark Grey painting in first stage and later in blue-green camouflage, all airctafts. which operated in Syria have misson marks. All of its will be in decal.

About armament - sometime its laser-gilded or Glonass-giulded bombs, sometimes - A-S missiles, but main wapon - iron bombs and cluster bombs - new targeting system from Gefest provide strike accuracy by this amunition at smart bomb level.

4 minutes ago, kotey said:

all Su-34s after this again painted in blue-green camouflage

Ahhh, I had thought the dark grey the current camo. Seems I was in error. Thanks Andrey. I still like the "Eggplant" scheme, but now I don't know. Darn, decisions, decisions (first world problems :dontknow:).

7 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Ahhh, I had thought the dark grey the current camo. Seems I was in error. Thanks Andrey. I still like the "Eggplant" scheme, but now I don't know. Darn, decisions, decisions (first world problems :dontknow:).

Word!  Decisions, decisions......No doubt the tri-color camo will attract more attention at a show or on a shelf.

6 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Word!  Decisions, decisions......No doubt the tri-color camo will attract more attention at a show or on a shelf.

Popped over to Hobbyworld and ordered paints for the blue-green scheme. Now I don't have to make up my mind till the last minute. I like having options :naughty:

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, brahio said:

Once again: the upper surfaces of the "eggplant" aircraft were/are painted RAL 7015. But you can continue to guess the right color by looking at photos.

hi, do you know the Akzo Nobel Product(color)no of underside blue paint? thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Bumping this from all the way back at page 4! I hope ya'll haven't lost interest in this kit already...

I finally got my hands on the kit so in my personal opinion, the winner is,,, the Kitty Hawk kit.
I don't have the HB kit but have seen the plastic and pics on-line. I'd guess it is easier to build and it seems to have nicer surface detail but KH wins out on shape and accuracy.
While the KH kit isn't near perfect, with some elbow grease and a little aftermarket I think it could be a great build.

Khibiny_2_zpsmbg1mmlf.jpg

:cheers:

On 7/12/2018 at 6:51 PM, kotey said:

About armament - sometime its laser-gilded or Glonass-giulded bombs, sometimes - A-S missiles, but main wapon - iron bombs and cluster bombs - new targeting system from Gefest provide strike accuracy by this amunition at smart bomb level.

AFAIK, Gefest makes affordable upgrades to the older Soviet era aircraft whose computers were too poor to achieve reasonable CCRP bombing mode accuracy (which Western aircraft had already). It cannot bring them sufficiently near smart weapon levels (except perhaps at rather low altitudes) as there's always the wind influence on unguided munitions which gets worse with altitude. 

It also does some other things (like e.g. GPS navigation), but since the Su-34 has even better systems from the start presumably, it has no need for such an upgrade. The only types getting these upgrades were the Su-24M, Tu-22M3 and Su-33 IIRC. 

Edited by ijozic

Gefest-T  - its research firm, which work with Ru MoD from 1996, Su-34s targeting system Platan had one of subsystem similar to Gefest-24 (which installed to Su-24M, Tu-22M3 and Su-33s) system, so Su-34s were testbed to this system.

8 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Bumping this from all the way back at page 4! I hope ya'll haven't lost interest in this kit already...

I finally got my hands on the kit so in my personal opinion, the winner is,,, the Kitty Hawk kit.
I don't have the HB kit but have seen the plastic and pics on-line. I'd guess it is easier to build and it seems to have nicer surface detail but KH wins out on shape and accuracy.
While the KH kit isn't near perfect, with some elbow grease and a little aftermarket I think it could be a great build.

Is that new pods you're working on (he asks with great hope)? Look very nice , but what's the rod doohickey sticking out of the rear end? 

14 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Excellent Chris!! I'll order as soon as you have them available.

On 8/11/2018 at 7:34 AM, Mstor said:

Is that new pods you're working on (he asks with great hope)? Look very nice , but what's the rod doohickey sticking out of the rear end? 

That is the pour sprue that the modeler will have to cut off and sand the end of the cap round. Not terribly difficult.

Another alternative I've seen is to have the cap be a separate part with the split at the panel line. This is IMHO much more difficult for the modeler. First you have two sprues to remove, you have to sand the surfaces perfectly flat and then you have to glue while maintaining the panel line else re-scribe.

Yet another alternative is to have the joint further back on the curved surface of the cap where the seam can be puttied and sanded away. This is much more difficult to make the pattern and in the scale I didn't feel it was worth doing. In 1/32 it seemed more appropriate as seen here on my Sorbtsiya pods:

Sorbitsya9.jpg

2 hours ago, Helmsman said:

Nice bunch of pictures:

https://yadi.sk/d/YsRuORmd3aA56g

Of course, the good pics are published after I made the difficult details...

Khibiny_3_zps3x1njxpd.jpg

I chose to add the lights on the patterns rather than have the modeler use the kit provided lights as the other resin offering did. I decided to do this because on closer inspection I discovered that one of the clear lights on my copy of the kit was a short-shot. I then looked at online sprue shots and saw the same. Check your kits as they may have the same flaw.

In addition I wasn't happy with the shape and detail of the kit part.

No, I won't be doing these in clear resin. If the modeler wants he can cut them and add clear plastic. Since they're so small I'd recommend coating them with bare-metal foil and painting with clear red and green. The effect is pretty convincing as seen here on my 1/48 D-520 build (looks better in-person than on the photo):

D520sm10.jpg

On 7/3/2018 at 7:11 PM, dehowie said:

PS has anyne tried the fit of the SAC SU-34 landing gear for the HB kit on the KH one?

On 7/3/2018 at 8:30 PM, Helmsman said:

I wouldn't touch SAC gear even with a mile long stick.

The G-Factor alternative:

G-Factor_48035_zpsqzebuzex.jpg

Ernie claims it's brass but I consider it pure gold. :thumbsup2:

Looking at the walkround photos linked by Helmsman, it seems that the curved fillet between the wingtip L/E and ECM pod is actually attached to the pod and not the wing.

It looks like it just slips over the wing L/E without being attached to it - which makes sense.

Ken

On 8/11/2018 at 12:40 PM, kotey said:

Gefest-T  - its research firm, which work with Ru MoD from 1996, Su-34s targeting system Platan had one of subsystem similar to Gefest-24 (which installed to Su-24M, Tu-22M3 and Su-33s) system, so Su-34s were testbed to this system.

Interesting, thanks. Do you have any references as it's seemingly impossible to find a mention of Gefest I T in relation with the Su-34 systems in the English sources.

5 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Of course, the good pics are published after I made the difficult details...

Chris, the pods look wonderful. I agree with you that the pour stub on the tip should be very easy to cut off and sand to shape. Looking forward to these being ready. I'm definitely buying them.

On 8/14/2018 at 4:27 AM, Zactoman said:

The G-Factor alternative:

Ernie claims it's brass but I consider it pure gold. :thumbsup2:

Are they copies of the kit gear? (not meant in a bad way of course) and does anyone know if they are available yet?

Edited by Mr Matt Foley