Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

After reading through this whole thread I have a final question to see if I got it right: for the latest su-34 version I would need to close the starbord and lower vents and scribe the upper APU outlet ?

And this would fit for the eggplant color painted airframes ?

10 hours ago, Luc1970 said:

After reading through this whole thread I have a final question to see if I got it right: for the latest su-34 version I would need to close the starbord and lower vents and scribe the upper APU outlet ?

And this would fit for the eggplant color painted airframes ?

I get a headache whenever I try to figure out that vent question. Hopefully Andrey knows and will chime in.

2 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I get a headache whenever I try to figure out that vent question. Hopefully Andrey knows and will chime in.

I think you need to be certain of a specific air frame and time frame. Andrey would be the guy to ask though.

We need a company to get us a photo etch update AND some resin for this kit. There are parts of the kit that scream for some more detail.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley

Ordered Mine!

He also has a limited number of Su-33 kits going for a very nice price.

Thanks Chris!

P.S. If you're looking for Su-33 cheap and are not in the US to get Zactoman's lower shipping costs, LuckyModel has them back in stock for $54.99.

Edited by Mstor
  • 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, brahio said:

The eggplant scheme was introduced in 2011 by the then MoD Serdyukov (who tried to buy israeli UAVs, italian armored vehicles, french Mistrals etc) without any research of how effective it was. And according to the scheme aircrafts should be painted RAL 7015. 
Yes, we do have our own color range but we also can paint planes any colors a customer wants. So RAL palette is widely used here in Russia because of its availability and prevalence in the world. 
So planes were painted in RAL 7015, this is not my speculation but firm fact. To accept it or not to accept is your own decision.

Is the blue on the lower surfaces also matched to an RAL color?

Regards,

Murph

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2019 at 1:43 AM, Murph said:

The eggplant scheme was introduced in 2011 by the then MoD Serdyukov (who tried to buy israeli UAVs, italian armored vehicles, french Mistrals etc) without any research of how effective it was. And according to the scheme aircrafts should be painted RAL 7015. 

I went to my local paint shop today and got a small can of RAL 7015 made up (needed to repaint a dark gray door so thought why not?).

I sampled it with the AKAN eggplant and found them to be the same hue, AKAN being a little darker. With some white added the AKAN was then a near perfect match.

Hmmmm... This is definitely not for scale models, is it?

At least I would never use it on my own models. On the other hand some vehicle and tank builders would use anything at all lol.

38 minutes ago, DIO said:

Hmmmm... This is definitely not for scale models, is it?

No, just my own curiosity to see if how my various Eggplants held up to RAL7015. Since I needed gray to repaint some gray doors at my workshop I decided to get the RAL 7015 to see how well it matched the AKAN and other colors.

This was AKAN eggplant, lightened where needed. It'll match my workshop entry now.

Ex7fU3l.jpg

33 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

No, just my own curiosity to see if how my various Eggplants held up to RAL7015. Since I needed gray to repaint some gray doors at my workshop I decided to get the RAL 7015 to see how well it matched the AKAN and other colors.

This was AKAN eggplant, lightened where needed. It'll match my workshop entry now.

Ex7fU3l.jpg

Amazingly beautiful outcome. Great weathering and very realistic metallic paints on the exhausts.

If this what you make out of the car paints, just keep doing what you do 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by DIO
2 hours ago, DIO said:

Amazingly beautiful outcome. Great weathering and very realistic metallic paints on the exhausts.

If this what you make out of the car paints, just keep doing what you do 🤣🤣🤣

+1 on the model. That is BEAUTIFUL!

DIO, he stated he used AKAN paints on the kit.

13 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Very nicely done Mr. Brown.

I possess both the MRP and the AKAN Eggplant as well as the special mix from Mr. Color. To me the color becomes irrelevant once the fading and weathering process begins. But, that is just me. I know others are more particular, but if you have a good base to start, it'll all be good.

4 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Very nicely done Mr. Brown.

I possess both the MRP and the AKAN Eggplant as well as the special mix from Mr. Color. To me the color becomes irrelevant once the fading and weathering process begins. But, that is just me. I know others are more particular, but if you have a good base to start, it'll all be good.

I know that the MRP paint is wrong, but I am tempted to use it anyway. I think the purple tint looks cool man :coolio:

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread for a bit to tell you guys about Kitty Hawk's brass metal set for their Su-34 kit. I got one of these over e-Bay and it arrived today. It includes landing gear, the nose wheel dirt shield and exhaust nozzles. I was extremely impressed with the quality of these pieces. The detail is excellent and there are no seams or molds lines anywhere. The surfaces of the landing gear are completely smooth and details sharp. The metal exhaust nozzles are better than the resin ones that were included with the kit. The set was a little over $30 with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kitty-Hawk-MT-02-Su-34-Fullback-Metal-Parts-Pre-sale-/223478348875?oid=223450885446

I highly recommend this set.