Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

10 minutes ago, flybywire said:

Thanks ijozic! Just want to check the feature being encircled with a red mark earlier.

I think it is trying to point out that the rocket launcher is hollow and doesn’t have the tubes represented. 

Mark

1 hour ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

I think it is trying to point out that the rocket launcher is hollow and doesn’t have the tubes represented. 

Mark

It is pointing out the size of the tubes are tiny in the KH sample. In the baidu thread there's a conparison photo where you see the diameter of the tubes of the real pod.

I think Kh Su-34 still have a lot of problems, at least from my point of view this is not a high degree of completion of the product, This still gives me disappointment and regret...

:bandhead2:

Edited by SuperTomcat21
1 hour ago, SuperTomcat21 said:

I think Kh Su-34 still have a lot of problems, at least from my point of view this is not a high degree of completion of the product, disappointing.

IMHO KH is an average size company working in several projects in parallel. It isn't a budding company who focuses on a single subject in order to design the ultimate Farley Fruitbat kit and placing all their hopes and expectations in it. Given their release rate I think their competitor is TrumpyBoss. They could use a CAD validation process to debug CAD models before tooling but I'm not sure its implementation is very efficient.

Edited by Laurent
1 hour ago, SuperTomcat21 said:

I think Kh Su-34 still have a lot of problems, at least from my point of view this is not a high degree of completion of the product, disappointing.

So what exactly is wrong with the detail on the wing? I only understood the part where you highlighted the double row of rivets and wrote 单排 meaning that it should be a single row instead. I wasn’t really able to read the rest though. 

Mark

3 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

It is pointing out the size of the tubes are tiny in the KH sample. In the baidu thread there's a conparison photo where you see the diameter of the tubes of the real pod.

Ah yes I see now. Yup, the holes are indeed too small. 

Mark

Actually, after looking more closely at photos, it doesn't look like KH did too bad. At worse they missed some rows of rivet detail on the flaps and perhaps have too much rivet detail on the leading edge slats, but I can't really tell. There also seems to be a series of Su-34s that have a wing fence on the upper outer part of the wing. I don't know but it seems to be a feature of earlier aircraft, but perhaps someone who has more knowledge of these things can shed some light on that.

9 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Actually, after looking more closely at photos, it doesn't look like KH did too bad. At worse they missed some rows of rivet detail on the flaps and perhaps have too much rivet detail on the leading edge slats, but I can't really tell. There also seems to be a series of Su-34s that have a wing fence on the upper outer part of the wing. I don't know but it seems to be a feature of earlier aircraft, but perhaps someone who has more knowledge of these things can shed some light on that.

I seem to recall from the discussion on the HB Su-34 that the wing fence was a late mod and that aircraft which had it would also have the APU on the tail boom (something that HB missed). 

Mark

2 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

I seem to recall from the discussion on the HB Su-34 that the wing fence was a late mod and that aircraft which had it would also have the APU on the tail boom (something that HB missed). 

Mark

OK, that makes sense. The KH wing appears to have two mounting holes on the wing where the fences would go. Hopefully they will have included the APU.

14 hours ago, Mstor said:

Hopefully they will have included the APU.

I have built the  1/72nd Trumpeter Su-34 (which, IIRC, is a scaled down HB kit - so should be the same(?)) - and it has the APU inlet in the tailboom.

It looks like this is a late addition though - as you have to cut out the aperture and fit the separate intake grille.........

su-34_049.jpg

What they forgot though, is the APU exhaust flap on top of the tailboom.....

su-34_014.jpg

It is difficult to see from the side profiles from KH whether they have included it or not??

Another small feature - again missed by HB/Trumpeter - is the curved wingtip 'fillets' fitted when the ESM pods are carried....

su-34_073.jpg

Are they in the KH kit ?

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
On 5/14/2018 at 7:00 AM, SuperTomcat21 said:

I think Kh Su-34 still have a lot of problems, at least from my point of view this is not a high degree of completion of the product, This still gives me disappointment and regret...

You could just buy the Hobby Boss kit and all the various corrections and upgrades for it...

:cheers:

2 hours ago, Zactoman said:

You could just buy the Hobby Boss kit and all the various corrections and upgrades for it...

What are these corrections and upgrades you speak of Zactoman? So far only heard of a new nose by Quickboost and the stuff by AMC shown in this thread. Does this mean you MAY be coming out with stuff? Or did I miss all the upgrades out there?

Edited by skyhawk174
4 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

What are these corrections and upgrades you speak of Zactoman? So far only heard of a new nose by Quickboost and the stuff by AMC shown in this thread. Does this mean you MAY be coming out with stuff? Or did I miss all the upgrades out there?

coldwar studio also does a nosecone+corrective paint masks and an APU/tailboom set  ...link

10 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Thanks Chris,I really can make it according to what you say,
But I still think that in the today of 21st century , we still need to spend a lot of money; time and energy to correct a brand new model suite,This is a very regrettable and sad thing. Obviously, these errors are not caused by difficulties in mold processing. Originally they were able to correct these obvious mistakes at the desktop design stage.

Ran

Edited by SuperTomcat21

This is a crazy principe... I don't buy a e x p e n s i v e  kit when it's designer make very bad work... Why pay a 100$/€/£ for piece of crap ???? Lazy designer haven't right to My money...

1 hour ago, AlCZ said:

This is a crazy principe... I don't buy a e x p e n s i v e  kit when it's designer make very bad work... Why pay a 100$/€/£ for piece of crap ???? Lazy designer haven't right to My money...

Yeah no kidding. It drives me nuts that we have to do this. Yes I do appreciate aftermarket stuff that replaces items in the kit with finer detail but not when you have to buy aftermarket stuff to CORRECT kit parts. I am sure a lot of modellers would not do this but for those out there that want to do it you can fix the kit.

Also, I don't think the designers are lazy. I was told some time ago that we think it is so easy to get info but the designers of these kits are in the far east and do not have internet access like we do here in the west. Also, I believe most of the kit designers are not aviation enthusiasts but CAD technicians. They could be designing a coffee machine and it would be the same. Although having said that if they were enthusiasts the project would never get done since they would never be happy until they got all the parts 100% correct 😀. Time is money as they say.

40 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

Also, I don't think the designers are lazy. I was told some time ago that we think it is so easy to get info but the designers of these kits are in the far east and do not have internet access like we do here in the west. Also, I believe most of the kit designers are not aviation enthusiasts but CAD technicians. They could be designing a coffee machine and it would be the same. Although having said that if they were enthusiasts the project would never get done since they would never be happy until they got all the parts 100% correct 😀. Time is money as they say.

I don't know. If what you say about designers is true then how is it that we can still get many very good kits? Perhaps it is the level of cooperation between the company and its people that have the required information about a subject (subject matter experts) and the CAD technicians. Obviously GWH, Kinetic and AMK seem to be able to do it. Even Revell Germany puts out pretty good stuff.

I also don't believe that people in the "far east" are that deprived of internet access. They have a huge and thriving online community. It's just separate from our "Facebook, YouTube" community. They shouldn't have difficulty getting access to aircraft info that is in the public domain. But, even if they don't have great access, they can ask for help and use feedback from the modeling community when they post CAD images. GWH seems to have used this model of external subject matter experts to help design their kits with obvious success.

The Hobby Boss kit is a major disappointment. If it were much cheaper, I would have considered getting it and the parts to correct it. But now Kitty Hawk is releasing a kit at half the cost. Even if it turns out I have buy aftermarket to correct it, I am still ahead monetarily.

I'll stop rambling now :clap2:

Edited by Mstor
1 hour ago, skyhawk174 said:

Also, I believe most of the kit designers are not aviation enthusiasts but CAD technicians. They could be designing a coffee machine and it would be the same. Although having said that if they were enthusiasts the project would never get done since they would never be happy until they got all the parts 100% correct 😀. Time is money as they say.

WORD

23 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

I have no immediate plans for anything, but who knows what the future holds...

As for existing aftermarket:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/969459-hobby-boss-81756-russian-su-34-fullback-fighter-bomber

Scroll down and have a look.

49 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

I have no immediate plans for anything, but who knows what the future holds...

As for existing aftermarket:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/969459-hobby-boss-81756-russian-su-34-fullback-fighter-bomber

Scroll down and have a look.

Well I hope the future is bright but I also know you really don't have anything in 1/48th.

Also, thanks for the reminder about scalemates. I know about that site and I really have to start going there more often. It is a great resource that I should use more.

48 minutes ago, FASTEAGLE107 said:

From Hobbyeasy: release date is shifting to 5/29.

Bummer, I was so looking forward to this shipping soon. Oh well, its not that long. Hopefully they stick to this date.