Two 1/48 Su-34: And the winner is...

2 hours ago, Helmsman said:

Looks like it depends on whether the aircraft equipped with ECM suite or  just wingtip pylon.

It may be the raison d'être of the resin part ECM pods (if you look closely, they're provided in plastic):

photo_2018-06-06_15-10-47.jpg

There's the pod and some part of the wing attached.

25 minutes ago, rom said:

Got mine today

Well done Kittyhawk!

Thanks rom, this is good news. That is one big issue put to sleep. Anything interesting to show regarding the tail boom/stinger? I am wondering about that starboard side air vent and where in the production timeline it fits.

5 hours ago, Helmsman said:

For more pictures/informations check http://bastion-karpenko.ru/su-34

It is in Russian so google translator might help.

Nice link thanks. What I do not understand is why the 2 very different paint schemes? I was under the impression that early aircraft were painted in the "pretty" camo colors and late aircraft were done in a more practical (think night missions) eggplant.

4 hours ago, Raptor01 said:

I will get one, it is not a priority since I have finished the Hobby Boss version.  This one looks to have different challenges in assembly.  I will build this in the Eggplant scheme. 

John

8GENKs7.jpg

8kvXDxW.jpg?1

You reshaped the radome with a file right?

1 hour ago, rom said:

Got mine today

Well done Kittyhawk!

img_2411.jpg

That nose looks not bad to me...

img_2410.jpg

Nice. Taking the CAD back to re-work the nose and correct the kit after the HobbyBoss debacle was the right thing to do!

3 minutes ago, rom said:

20180611.jpg

20180610.jpg

OK, so definitely no APU exhaust. Someone know more about the starboard side vent (PE-15 in the instructions)?

Reshaping the nose on HB with sanding sticks is 30 minutes work.

16W2k8A.jpg?1

It is it is not difficult to make a APU exhaust from plastic, using Two Bobs decal as a template.

LT8zqrN.jpg?1

John

Edited by Raptor01
Pics added
23 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Ok......so what do you think was wrong and in need of correction?

Nothing. The only thing that I've noticed so far is the missing APU exhaust flap and it isn't a deal breaker to me. I'm less demanding when the retail price is reasonable perhaps. I've ordered the KH kit from LuckyModel but they haven't received it yet.

Now I didn't buy the HB kit because the windscreen and "canopy" (quotes because it's fixed) looked off to me. The HB windscreen profil seems a little curved, the framing at its base seems too thick and it make the windscreen too short relative to the "canopy". I find paying 100USD for a model that has a weird "face" difficult.

22 minutes ago, Laurent said:

The HB windscreen profil seems a little curved, the framing at its base seems too thick and it make the windscreen too short relative to the "canopy". I find paying 100USD for a model that has a weird "face" difficult.

Looks to me that industrial espionage is going on, with some CAD software being updated.  I have a second HB Fullback (Both purchased for under $100 USD), when I get the KH kit, I will do some parts comparison.

John

5 hours ago, Laurent said:

Nothing. The only thing that I've noticed so far is the missing APU exhaust flap and it isn't a deal breaker to me. I'm less demanding when the retail price is reasonable perhaps. I've ordered the KH kit from LuckyModel but they haven't received it yet.

Now I didn't buy the HB kit because the windscreen and "canopy" (quotes because it's fixed) looked off to me. The HB windscreen profil seems a little curved, the framing at its base seems too thick and it make the windscreen too short relative to the "canopy". I find paying 100USD for a model that has a weird "face" difficult.

I hear that. Then of course the nose profile is completely off. I had the HB kit, but traded it away for something else. I also have the Kitty Hawk kit on order from LuckyModel...couldn't resist with the anniversary sale.

4 hours ago, Raptor01 said:

Looks to me that industrial espionage is going on, with some CAD software being updated.  I have a second HB Fullback (Both purchased for under $100 USD), when I get the KH kit, I will do some parts comparison.

John

It's not like the Trumpy/HB crew hasn't done the same to others...Zacto comes to mind.

On 6/8/2018 at 5:53 AM, Raptor01 said:

16W2k8A.jpg?1

It is it is not difficult to make a APU exhaust from plastic, using Two Bobs decal as a template.

John

No, because the issues with HB Su-34 require more than 30 min with sandstick. It isnt just about the radome. It requires a new nose section altogether.

Windscreen footprint. It's pinched at the front on the real thing: http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia-Air-Force/Sukhoi-Su-34-Su-32FN/1625174/L

The pinch is there in KH:

34718387_10214051741582422_1491643993031

Less pinch in HB, front windscreen base is too wide:

5b0d426a-87f4-4158-a782-33df95c60393.jpg

I don't have the kits to verify but I'm pretty confident what can be seen on the drawings is on the kits.

Edited by Laurent
3 hours ago, Berkut said:

No, because the issues with HB Su-34 require more than 30 min with sandstick. It isnt just about the radome. It requires a new nose section altogether.

Meh, I had girl friend who needed putty & paint and then looked like the prototype.  Anyhoo in life, the worst piece of _ _ _, is the one you never get! :woot.gif:

John

Edited by Raptor01
Grammar
On 6/8/2018 at 5:53 AM, Raptor01 said:

16W2k8A.jpg?1

Yes but this stretched-S curve...

hbSu34Windscreen.jpg

... looks weird and it's not a 30min work fix (reshaping and vacuforming needed).

Edited by Laurent
5 hours ago, Berkut said:

I was hoping you would chime in.....

53 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Yes but this stretched-S curve...

hbSu34Windscreen.jpg

... looks weird and it's not a 30min work fix (reshaping and vacuforming needed).

I would forgive that...but that is just me. As long as the nose looks better than the HB nose and the additional plus' of the "stinger" being mostly accurate, I can deal with it and build it. I'm going to stop my "shelf of doom" projects as soon as I have the Kitty Hawk kit in hand and build it.