ordnance on vietnam era ad-6 skyraider

hi gals & guys.

i am building an ad-6 vietnam navy skyraider in 1/72.

i usually do an accurate research, mostly iconographic, before, during, and sometimes also after a project.

i have seen really many pics of able dogs, and now that i'm about to plan the ordnance for my model  i realize that i have never seen one carrying a ter.

all weapons, heavy and light are attached to single pylons. sure, the heavier at the two most inboard ones, but even there, no ter or mer.

i thought that it could be a problem of lateral clutter, but actually why carry a single mk. 20 on each pod while a ter would carry three with plenty of space for other loads?

somebody here at arc has the answer for sure.

thanks for your attention and for eventually sparing me the time of building and painting a lot of ammo that would be non philological.

best ciaos. bobo.

Look for VA-45 (can't remember if it was in the AD-6 or A-1H days), there is a photo of an aircraft with 3 MBRs full of 250# (wide gap between bombs vs narrow clearance of 500#), with rocket pods on the 12 outerwing.

I know you asked about MER or TER,,,,,,,,,but, MBR is as close as it got.

The multiple-bomb racks were created for the early A4D Skyhawk, which only had three pylons, one or two of which were usually dedicated to an external fuel tank. It was originally a one-trick pony and intended to carry only one bomb. The Marines wanted it to have a close-air support capability as well, which resulted in a pylon kludge that became standard on many jets.

The AD Skyraider was configured with 15 pylons so a TER was unnecessary, as well as adding weight and drag. Also see http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2013/04/things-under-wings-va-25-1-skyraider.html

I haven't found out why the 3 MBRs were loaded on that VA-45 aircraft.

Some sort of weapons lifting demo/publicity photo. The load fit the weight limits for each pylon,,,,,,but, it sure wouldn't be a popular thing to have to fly. I sort of wonder about all of the rockets it carried,,,,,,,,just firing 7x12 rockets implies a bit of loiter time over the target,,,,,with no extra fuel for flying around and making the multiple passes it would require.

Makes for an interesting load for a model, though.

According to here:

http://www.alternatewars.com/SAC/A-1H_and_J_Skyraider_SAC_-_1_July_1967.pdf

scroll down to the Load Chart, you could put a MER on the stub pylons with 6 Mk-81, 6 Mk-81 Snakeyes or 6 Mk-82, but no Snakeyes. But as mentioned you have a lot of pylons so no real need to mount MERs, especially all the extra weight and drag plus with multiple passes, the enemy is bound catch on that you'll be back and they'll be waiting. It's best one pass then haul a.....

image105.jpg

Jari