My first attempt at oil-dot weathering.  Ummm, I think I overdid it.   This aircraft was in Tunisia during the war, but I am not sure it was this dirty.  Does anyone have any advice on how to remove some of this without a total repaint, especially since the decals are already on.  I am also gonna pose this question in the tips section.  Thanks for any advice you can provide.  

No automatic alt text available.

14 minutes ago, Tom G said:

Have you used Turpenoid to dilute the oil dots?  That is usually pretty good with removing excess paint, even after it is dry.

Tom

I have not tried that.  I used mineral spirits, but that did not remove much. I will try turpenoid and see what happens.  Thanks Tom!

• 2 weeks later...

So, a couple lessons learned.  First, turpentine from the big box store will remove oil paints from the model.  Second, it will also dissolve the glue holding the wings together!  Maybe I should not use quite so much!  Since I was able to remove most of it, I decided to try again with this technique.  I was able to tone it down some, but it still seemed a little too much.  Does anyone have any references or videos showing this technique on aircraft?  I have seen quite a few for armor, but armor gets down and dirty in the mud and earth.  While this particular aircraft was flown in Tunisia, and therefore will show some of the desert sands, I will also be working on some Pacific war aircraft in the near future, i.e a TBM and an SBD, and eventually a couple Corsairs.  While one of the Corsairs will be a land based aircraft, the rest will be carrier based and I am not sure how to go about this.  Any ideas?

5 hours ago, Fly-n-hi said:

Try this next time:  Start the process by brushing a thin coat of turpeniod onto the surface and then apply the oil dots.  This will help the oil paint speed out and dry without leaving edges or borders.

Thank you sir!.  I will try that tomorrow.  And by turpenoid, I am assuming you mean the stuff from an art supply store and not the "hot" stuff from the big box?

3 hours ago, Fly-n-hi said:

Yes.  I have a few brands that I have used but the Mona Lisa brand comes to mind right now.  They have an Odorless Turpenoid that works very well.  

I will see what I can find.  Thanks again!