Revell 1/72 Panavia Tornado AG-51 2009 Tiger Meet

I've been a little delayed in reporting progress, but last weekend I got the black painted on the upper surfaces.  Ran into issues with the paint on the top of the right wing and had to do a touch of sanding and re-coating since this picture was taken.  This weekend I hope to get the gloss coat applied in preparation for the decals.  Everything has gone reasonably well so far, and I am crossing my fingers that nothing happens with the gloss coat.

20170729_170014.jpg

Thanks Mike!  The black is Tamiya semi-gloss black.  I really like that paint.  I always get consistent results airbrushing it, and if I need a high gloss, I just hit it with some Future to shine it up.  That's going to be this evening's fun...

This weekend, I applied the gloss coat using Future Floor wax.  I approached this with a little hesitation as my last few times using Future didn't turn out as well as I wanted.  This time however everything went fine.  I sprayed on a light mist coat and set it aside.  Then 20 minutes later, I applied a second, heavier coat.  Finally, 20 minutes after that I applied a heavy "wet" coat to get a high shine.  The results were pleasing.  I'll give the Future a couple days to harden properly, then on to the decals.  

In the background of the photo is my next project... a Luftwaffe Alpha Jet from JBG-41.  I got caught up in the Luftwaffe spirit and couldn't help myself while waiting for things to dry on the Tornado.

20170806_223955A.jpg.6823fe25b17d19c391a07f8f8f4c7773.jpg

Decaling is done!  Over the course of the weekend, I was able to place all the 120+ decals for this model and the result is some what eye-popping to say the least.  It definitely captures your attention.  

The decals for this kit are phenomenal.  They are thin, yet strong and can take a bit of handling without ripping or tearing.  The whites and yellows are opaque and everything fits beautifully.  The sheet says it was designed by Syhart (always good) and printed in Italy, so I'm assuming they were done by Cartograf. They snuggle down beautifully with Microset and Microsol, as can be seen in the photo of the undersides where the the black decal on the underside is in the process of "snuggling," and is a little wrinkly.  As it dried, it smoothed out and conformed to every detail and curve.

Only issue I have with them is that the eye on the tail is about 5-10% over-sized, otherwise the fit is perfect.  The Revell directions were also very good at guiding you through where are the pieces of decal were supposed to go.  

If you take your time and go through it carefully, one decal at a time, you should have no problem putting together this striking scheme.  One additional note.  The decal that covers the spine of the aircraft is the key to everything else.  Once that is in place, all the other parts of the tiger face on the top of the fuselage and wings will fall in line.  

20170812_224259B.jpg.d7248605e334036cf09b38a0f4fd386f.jpg  20170813_171825B.jpg.7a8db91c05889bdd9f308601cff4df8f.jpg

Now, on to a final gloss coat to seal the decals before a light satin coat to give the aircraft the proper sheen.

Really nice! :worship:

Decals marked with "C" behind the kitnumber on the sheet means Cartograf, "Z" means Zanchetti.

Cartograf are the best in my opinion. And Sylvian Hautier makes excellent decal artworks. I really know how much work this is.

Progress...  This weekend, I got a chance to lay down a satin coat and put on all the miscellaneous parts such as the radome, the afterburner section, landing gear and wing tanks.  Almost close to done.  Now all that is left are some paint touch ups, the wing tip lights and some antennas that got broken off due to handling.

20170820_165018a.jpg.d3ae6a15f2d0b8a1f1d1162521e1091d.jpg

20170820_164923a.jpg.701783ee992ae4e4b224d043d78ce701.jpg

Edited by swbailey

Well, looks like this bird will not get done before the end of the month.  Our house flooded out on Saturday night and again last night in Hurricane Harvey.  I got back into the house briefly yesterday afternoon and the Tornado was still where I left it on my workbench, but after last night's round of flooding, I'm not so sure it will be there.  Unfortunately, I also lost about 75% of my 1200 unbuilt model kits and all of my modeling supplies.  Luckily it was all fresh water and not salt water, but it will take me a while to recover.  

My thoughts go out to all my fellow modelers in the region who were hit by Harvey and are in a similar predicament here in Texas.  My wife and I and cats are safe and dry and I hope the rest of you are too/.

Thanks guys...  headed into the house today to start clean up and salvage.  The sun has come out and I've heard that the water has receded around our house, so we've turned the corner.

Ouch.. Very sorry for your loss.

My parents house was almost regularly flooded until the last 1 or 2 years. I know how it feels to see your stuff, including the built and unbuilt model gone or even broken. 

Glad to hear you and your wife are safe and already start cleaning and salvaging.

My thoughts and prayers for you and family.

Regards,

Mario 

Indonesia.

PS: Unbuilt models model which drowned in flood still can be built.. surely need new decals but I have actually built several of mine too.  

Mario-

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts.  As I was taking my kits out to dry, I was thinking the same thing... I don't need the decals for most of my kits, since I was planning to do something other than the kit markings anyway.  The only ones that really hurt are all the Hasegawa kits with decals for special anniversary markings, since those were the cases where I really did want to use the kit decals.  Luckily, in many cases, I had not opened the inner plastic bags, so there is hope that the decals remained dry.  

Thanks again and all the best from Texas!

Stewart