Monogram/Revell Monogram F-14A

The newer boxings contain the NACA vent as well as a piece that has no vents at all. For some reason, R/M left off the vents. Steel Beach makes a resin replacement that has the grill vents on it. With that said, you can't really make an accurate A from that kit anyway because R/M also changed the engine shroud to the GE style carbon fiber. Steel Beach makes an update set to change the newer A kit into a B if you want to go that route. Or, you can simply ignore the shrouds and build it as an A. Not many people will ever notice.

19 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

The newer boxings contain the NACA vent as well as a piece that has no vents at all. For some reason, R/M left off the vents. Steel Beach makes a resin replacement that has the grill vents on it. With that said, you can't really make an accurate A from that kit anyway because R/M also changed the engine shroud to the GE style carbon fiber. Steel Beach makes an update set to change the newer A kit into a B if you want to go that route. Or, you can simply ignore the shrouds and build it as an A. Not many people will ever notice.

Thank you very much Robert. So, for example, the boxing from Revell Germany, that is, the Black Tomcat boxing, isn´t an A variant anyway, cause of the engine shroud I guess...

Best regards,

Juan

It isn't a huge detail.... they just eliminated the panel lines from the barrel shrouds and changed the texture. Easy enough to scribe the details back in, or not worry about them all together.

The gunvent issue is confusing. I don't really understand their decision-making process on providing a blank piece instead of the 2-vent panel they originally had.

The RoG black bunny boxing is actually the best one for the Revellogram F-14A. It's the only F-14A boxing Revell makes that provides a TCS chin-pod found on virtually every F-14A after about 1982/83. The american release only has the original ALQ-100 chin pod found on early jets.

On 7/3/2017 at 0:10 PM, Darren Roberts said:

Hi Darren, I'm not familiar enough with all the changes to the kit over the years, will the original monogram boxing allow for an accurate A model?

On 6/7/2017 at 2:12 PM, PlasticWeapons said:

Fuselage stiffeners were also removed. I added them back with sheet styrene as well as added the vertical tail stiffeners too. Also rescribed the exhaust shrouds. F-14A_WIP_020311.jpg

Hi Plastic Weapns: I can see the stiffeners that were removed and that you made again but cannot see the detail of the shouds, may you mark them in a red circle, please?...I cannot tell the difference..maybe I need more powerful glasses.

Best regards, 

Juan