Spitfire Vb "SKAGEN Ind." (Danish pilot)

Spitfires is one area I really am lacking in knowledge; I've got a 1/72 AZ Spitfire Vb in paint now; am making it into the mount of a Danish pilot who flew with the RAF as a tribute to my Danish-American heritage.

I'm not sure how to address the fuselage band and the spinner; would they be the same color, possibly? And should I guess RAF Sky, or something different? 

Can't rely on a profile for true colors, I know, but at least this gives you an idea what I'm making:

yQSsIsE.jpg

QwOT3WP.jpg

Andrew. The fuselage band would be sky for sure as that was an official marking. Many Spits also used sky prop spinners but the picture you posted doesn't look like they match. The tail band is lighter than the spinner but darker than the white in the tail marking so it does indeed look like sky but the spinner may be the underside grey but looks lighter than that and not likely. Spinners usually black to start with then got painted sky, sometimes special squadron colours or left black. I don't know but the profile shows a very popular scheme of matching band and spinner and I would go with same unless you get better info. Looking at the cloudy weather the nose could be in shade so that the photo is deceiving but spinner looks lighter than any of the three camo colours that would be present on the plane nose next to it .....

Edited by RCAFFAN

The picture is offically dated 10 April 1942.

According to Camoflague and Markings, Supermarine Spitfire RAF Northern Europe 1936-1945, the new Ocean Grey/Dark Green upper surfaces / medium sea grey lower surfaces - while retaining the Sky spinner and 18 in fuselage band, along with standardized 24 in high code markings were introduced after 15 August 1941.

http://www.boxartden.com/gallery/index.php/Profiles/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire/Supermarine-Spitfire-Camo-and-Marks_Page_19-960

So... that is how I painted my Skagen Ind!

Gord

My family is originally from Ødense, although I have never been there...

About 10 years, I rented a small plane from Roskilde and flew around Denmark. Started off to Stauning, then Aalborg. I flew from Aalborg north to round the tip of Skagen (mostly just to say I did) before heading to Læsø. A very nice long beach is the memory I have of Northern Denmark. A most enjoyable trip.

Gord

For a norwegian, Skagen is amongst the most popular danish resorts and norwegians all love skipping across the straight to pancake flat Denmark. Nothing but sandy beaches as far as the eye can see. Copenhagen is something else. Big city for sure. My stephbrother & co. lives there so i`ve visited

a couple times. I wanted to pay a visit to one of the hobby shops there last time around (Stoppel Hobby) but unfortunately it was closed for the summer. Bummer  Did shop online with them once though  

I know Odense to be the city with the highest crime rate in Denmark so when driving through i never even stopped there. Odense is also famous for its quality marzipan. My father and his partner has a nice summer home about 30 minutes drive from Skagen so the place serves as a hub for any travelhungry familymember. They have all these amusing names in Denmark appealing to the humorous side of us. The house i am talking about is situated in a city called "Strandby" literally meaning Beach city, but it`s VERY tranquile, lol. As for your flight, i bet you had a lot of wind. Always seem to be blowing profusely in Denmark as there is little terrain to break it up.

Alright on the brink here. Historically, the danish krone is much stronger than the norwegian, and as we type in these letters almost 30% more worth. Sweden not so much.

Bjørn in Norway                

Edited by breadneck