Amodel 1/144 Canadair CL-415 -- DONE!

I love unusual aircraft, and got this kit as soon as it was released! 

cl-415-start0.jpg

Markings for only 1 aircraft are provided, for the Sécurité Civile. Draw Decals doesn't have markings for this yet, but here's hoping! :pray:

cl-415-start1.jpg

Six gray sprues, one clear, and 1 PE fret are provided. Extra bits are provided, perhaps they'll have a 415 MP or 415 GR at some point...

cl-415-start2.jpg

This is a limited run kit--fitting and filing will be needed! I did Amodel's HU-16 in the past, so I have a good idea of what I'm in for... I also have their Lancaster and AN-2 in the stash.

cl-415-start3.jpg

The PE adds detail as well as replaces some larger plastic bits, like the wing fences and spray rails.

cl-415-start4.jpg

5 hours ago, Kingoalie said:

Looking forward to this build. If you want other markings, Syhart has a set.

Thanks! The kit's marking, 32, is the most interesting of the Sécurité Civile schemes with its pelican image on the nose. I do see some differences with the kit's marking, so I may yet get the Syhart sheet. While the yellow-red scheme is iconic for this aircraft, my preferences are Alberta in white, blue, and gold, or Aero-Flite, in white, red, and black.

4 hours ago, martin_sam_2000 said:

Great selection. I didn't realise this has the parts to build a CL-215 as well. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one.

Thanks for pointing that out! I noticed after my 1st post that the cowling and engine are among the parts not used on the 415. Amodel does have a 215 kit, so I suppose the fuselage and decals are the only differences.

Returned from a business trip yesterday, and got some building time in. I was immediately worried about the NLG bay:

cl-415-assembly0.jpg

With some elbow grease, the NLG bay went together nicely. And hey, this one appears to be improved over the HU-16 that I did a little while ago as it has some amount of parts locators

cl-415-assembly1.jpg

They did need to be treated as suggestions...

cl-415-assembly2.jpg

Anyway, with the help of my equaling and crossover files, I did get some major assemblies glued up.

cl-415-assembly5.jpg

There's still a lot of filling and filing in store...

cl-415-assembly6.jpg

Edited by dnl42

There's a lot of empennage on this girl! Replaced the turbo exhausts on the nacelles with thinned Evergreen tubing. The wing and nacelles are only sitting atop the fuselage, but I can now add some Liquid Gravity to move the CG from the trailing edge to 50-60% of chord.

cl-415-assembly10.jpg

20 hours ago, dnl42 said:

There's a lot of empennage on this girl! Replaced the turbo exhausts on the nacelles with thinned Evergreen tubing. The wing and nacelles are only sitting atop the fuselage, but I can now add some Liquid Gravity to move the CG from the trailing edge to 50-60% of chord.

cl-415-assembly10.jpg

Looking good. Almost ready for paint.

Sean

She's getting there!!!

Before that, though:

1. Finish filling and filing the wing
  2. Glue on the wing and fill/file the wing-fuselage join. The underwing joint is canyon-like (as was the HU-16).
  3. Glue on the nacelles and fill the topside joints and gap at the nose on the underside
  4. Add nose weight to balance
  5. Paint the interior of the canopy black, mask the exterior, and mount it.

I think I'll paint the floats separately. 

Thanks! I like 1/144 for larger aircraft, and you're right, the iconic yellow/read color scheme will stand out!

RoG has a current 72nd version in markings for Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources. Heller has a 72nd CL-215; Amodel also has a 215 sharing most of the plastic in this kit...

Edit: Hm, the RoG instructions show 215 parts on the sprue, but they don't list a 215 kit.

Edited by dnl42

In 1/72 the original Heller kit was a 215 and then they added further sprues for a 415 release. The Revell kit would be the Heller 415 release with better decals. I have both the Heller kits but they only include French markings so you need aftermarket. I have a few Leading Edge sheets. This is just to provide background info. Your build looks good so far.

P.S. My favorite scheme is a Newfoundland 215:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:C-GDKW_Canadair_CL-215_Newfoundland_Labrador_(7643777502).jpg

Edited by RCAFFAN

Got the wing and nacelles filled and filed and attached.

cl-415-assembly11.jpg

Quite a bit of filling on the bottom.

cl-415-assembly12.jpg

With some good walk-around photos, I was able to see how to inset the nacelles with a micro-chisel to enable them to sit properly atop the wing.

cl-415-assembly14.jpg

Next major step is nose weight--looks like a fair amount will be needed; it weighs about 30g now.

Thanks!  It is coming along nicely.

While I've been polishing the plastic surface, I will be using Mr Surfacer as a primer, followed by Mr Base for a white coat, and then finally that yellow.

About 5g were needed to get it to sit on the step. Also got the wing-fuselage joints filled and filed.

I'm really liking Liquid Gravity and Formula '560' for nose weight! The Liquid Gravity flows into very small spaces, and the Formula '560' soaks right in. The glue isn't quite dry in the photo; it will be clear when fully dry.

cl-415-weighted.jpg

Got the canopy painted and mounted, along with the wing fences and 3 of the 5 spray rails.

cl-415-fence1.jpg

cl-415-fence0.jpg

Luckily, the PE is the same thickness as my JLC saw, 0.0065in. I was able to cut slots into the wing and nose, set the PE into the slots, and finally apply thin CA.

The last two fences, with the saw-tooth edge are going to be tough. The saw tooth should be completely against the hull with only the solid part below the hull, but they don't quite fit right. They actually fit best if the sawtooth tips are right at the edge, with all of the rail below the hull. Won't look right and won't be a strong joint. 

Those last two fences are on as to the best of my abilities. I first shaped them until they lay relatively flat against the full. I then held each in place while I tacked the aft end with CA. Once they were each in place, I laid a strip of tape atop the fence and burnished it to hold it tight against the hull, then ran a fillet of Formula '560' along the underside. Let that cure for a day, then removed the tape and cleaned up the stray glue. I didn't attempt to glue to entire fence on with CA as it would have popped off at some point. I'm unconcerned with the other fences as they are inset into tight-fitting slots

cl-415-fence2.jpg

Now off to paint after I mask the cockpit glass...

Edited by dnl42
  • 1 month later...

Lost August to a new RV, a 2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH, and eclipse chasing.

DSC_0162-smaller.jpg

But, I'm back to work now, and am getting her ready for the paint shop. Got the props cleaned up and built, the tip floats ready to mount, and cockpit glass masked. The MLG struts and doors have Amodel's usual vague assembly diagram and insecure butt attachments. Since I've seen this play before, I turned to Google to figure out the actual mounting. I also added Albion tubing to hold the strut securely. I'll now attach the rest of the MLG bits to each other--but not the fuselage, yet--once the glue holding the tubes cures. That will be all the plastic.

cl-415-mlg-mount.jpg

Edited by dnl42
  • 2 months later...

Wow, learned that "Having an RV means no time for hobbies" is all too true...

Got back to work, again... Airbrushed Mr Base White to discover the remaining places needing filling and filing love. Finally shot a gloss white (C1) undercoat in preparation for the yellow base color

cl-415-white.jpg

I'm going to use Mr Color FS13538 (C329) and Red (C3) for the airframe. The landing gear and wheel wells will be Aircraft Gray (C73).

• dnl42 changed the title to Amodel 1/144 Canadair CL-415 -- DONE!